Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's lots in there I like. We're a club that does things is some really odd ways, but the things we do are often pretty good and I think some of that branding material looks really sharp and seems thought out and co-ordinated. The badge itself is divisive I guess, but I think it'll look better on shirts than anywhere else and it will continue to grow on us over the coming few years given a bit of erm...uncomplicated consistency.

I feel strangely uncomfortable about the way that "Up the Villa" has been adopted. On the one hand, it's exactly what you want to happen, it's a natural process, a real thing that comes from the heart of the support that the club have taken forward, something that is actually, genuinely "ours" that they're using to represent us - that's a good thing in that it's genuine and it's the club listening to the support and imitating that as something that becomes an integral part of the branding, it's 'authentic". But on the other hand, using it like this changes it forever in some way, it becomes something slightly different when it's being sold back to you and I will kinda miss its cheery Brummie uniqueness. I think maybe that's just a personal thing and maybe part of getting old. S'all good though, we can still go with UTFV.

A generous interpretation of it would be centring the Villa name, especially with it being 150 years. I hope the goal is to cement Villa both in heritage and stature rather than taking something organic amongst fans and turning it into Pepsi. It doesn’t absolve Heck either. But I hope it means we can move on from all the terrible years of the AVFC branding and marketing and focus on our majestic name, history and the special project Unai is building. 

A different and understandable reading of it is that Heck knows how unpopular the forced rebrand is and is using the angle to appease critics. Creating buy in with a trusted and familiar phrase. 

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Surely they will redo the Holte End mosaic

Personally, I’d prefer them to leave it.  It’s a decent piece of artwork in its own right.  There’s been far too much unnecessary vandalism at Villa Park.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's lots in there I like. We're a club that does things is some really odd ways, but the things we do are often pretty good and I think some of that branding material looks really sharp and seems thought out and co-ordinated. The badge itself is divisive I guess, but I think it'll look better on shirts than anywhere else and it will continue to grow on us over the coming few years given a bit of erm...uncomplicated consistency.

I feel strangely uncomfortable about the way that "Up the Villa" has been adopted. On the one hand, it's exactly what you want to happen, it's a natural process, a real thing that comes from the heart of the support that the club have taken forward, something that is actually, genuinely "ours" that they're using to represent us - that's a good thing in that it's genuine and it's the club listening to the support and imitating that as something that becomes an integral part of the branding, it's 'authentic". But on the other hand, using it like this changes it forever in some way, it becomes something slightly different when it's being sold back to you and I will kinda miss its cheery Brummie uniqueness. I think maybe that's just a personal thing and maybe part of getting old. S'all good though, we can still go with UTFV.

It sounds right in Brummie…but an honourable mention for that beautiful Basque accent belting it out on the mic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Come on!!! You are old enough to live through the stripy badge! That’s by miles the worst badge we ever had. 

No way. I mean it wasn’t great but it’s miles better than this one. 

To be fair the original Lerner badge when it was released was probably worse than this one. But they saved that by updating it

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

"I grew up watching the Aston Villa teams of the 2010s, first in their noble fight for relegation and then in the Championship. The posters on my wall were Ross McCormack, Scott Hogan, Rudy Gestede. I modelled my game on them.  When they called my agent, it was an easy decision to take a 90% pay cut and uproot my life to move into the Radisson"

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91xuh7bm170tnehfmds3

• Thanks 1

I’m fine with the badge, it looks fine, it’s alright. It’s a badge, and I’m fed up of looking at 300 alternatives. There are some versions of it in that video that look brilliant, so it gives me hope that it can be used well. I’m more interested in the new kits tbh. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Come on!!! You are old enough to live through the stripy badge! That’s by miles the worst badge we ever had. 

Couldn't agree more. A monstrosity

Edited by est1874

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No way. I mean it wasn’t great but it’s miles better than this one. 

To be fair the original Lerner badge when it was released was probably worse than this one. But they saved that by updating it

Yeah, the original Lerner badge was the worst. It looked like a clumsy block of predominantly pale blue on the kits, tracksuits and other gear, and that's not even mentioning the 'AVFC', the shit 'Prepared' font, or the declawed lion, which seems to be doing some form of Queensberry rules boxing.

Aston Villa badge: Club spend £80,000 to remove the word 'prepared' from  crest | The Independent | The Independent

Wizard of Oz- Put em up on Make a GIF

"Put 'em up, put 'em up!"

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What does the A H V initials stand for at 40 seconds in?

Nothing, I assume the H is there to show what the serif looks like on a vertical stem

• Like 1

badge rolled out by someone who just told an intern to knock any old cack up to make sure it wasn't anything like the new badge not created by him. Watched fan reactions go beserk, pretended it wasn't a done deal when it clearly was, stuck with a five minute Microsoft clipart badge for years. Thanks Chris Heck, you are a genius.

At least that puts the saga to bed: we went with the worst option, awesome. Right, now onto whatever he has planned for Villa Park now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The badge still isn't great for me, I note that the main badge colours are the worst version they've shown, it looks better in basically every other format. 

The wider brand and this release video are top notch though. 

• Like 1

I actually like the video but again, why is it only revealed on X and not various platforms including our official website in one hit? I honestly don’t get that and never will I guess. Again I clicked our official site hoping to see the video again and some words from Chris Heck about how we reached this point but nothing? Is our official site almost becoming redundant in this new age?

On the use of “Up the Villa”, I do find it a little tacky and don’t really like it on branding etc. I’m not even keen on the use of it in the stadium, especially in the Trinity Road stand. Would much rather we use the words “Villa Park” for that. Up the Villa is a nice fan thing and I would have just kept it there.

I do like the use of different colours for the new badge/crest and it will grow on me over time but still feel a little meh about the whole thing.

UTV

• Like 1

Cant see what's wrong with the badge tbh. That may say more about me than i realise.......

Cant see what's wrong with the club using UTV in the marketing either. I think its a good idea

No longer have the energy to complain, many of us have been successfully worn down by all this… time to move on, I guess.

These are the best versions and drastically better than the flat, yellow, shadowed crap:

spacer.png

spacer.png

these are fine/ok too

spacer.png

spacer.png

oh well, onto the kits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No longer have the energy to complain, many of us have been successfully worn down by all this… time to move on, I guess.

These are the best versions and drastically better than the flat, yellow, shadowed crap:

spacer.png

spacer.png

these are fine/ok too

spacer.png

spacer.png

oh well, onto the kits.

the first two have a shadow

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't mind if our badge was legit just Claret and Gold.

The issue is we have restrictions on our branding from a fanbase perspective.

Over the y ars I've even suggested a slight change in use distribution of colours to differentiate us from all the other " Claret and Blues ".

Anyway it's " ok ", but I probably like all the other variations more. ( Still don't like the white 1874 and Star )

Hopefully we will get kit using monogram varieties.

Would be cool to use Black and Gold or Claret and Gold ones in Champs League.

But yeah tired of this all anyway.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Feels like the branding package was developed after the badge design.   Partly explains why there are 3 different fonts.

As I wrote in my last post on this topic, Im ready to move on to on-the-field matters, but it’s clear the club have mucked this whole re-rebranding project. 

• Thanks 1