Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If I understand correctly it was Heck that really wanted the ‘1874’ on the badge from his comments in that article and comments I’ve heard elsewhere. It’s something he’s talked about.  Maybe the fans wanted it but I think Heck had a say in that part.

I can see why he’d be impressed by it, the club is basically as old as his country (Im exaggerating, don’t @ me on this). Also to make a celebration on our 150th anniversary. 

For fans, I don’t see why we fully care about our founding year on our badge (other than anniversaries) it’s just seems like a thing all football clubs does and I have no idea of the reason.

It’s not overly impressive when most clubs are over 100 years old. If anything, it’s only impressive as a collective that so many clubs are that old. It shows how robust and impotent our league structure is that it’s been this sustainable for 100+ years for most clubs within it. But on an individual level, just one of many in my eye

Edited by CarryOnVilla

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like the 1874 on this one - I like what it says and the little bit of white it brings to the colour scheme.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If I understand correctly it was Heck that really wanted the ‘1874’ on the badge from his comments in that article and comments I’ve heard elsewhere. It’s something he’s talked about.  Maybe the fans wanted it but I think Heck had a say in that part.

Out of likes, and think I'm also experiencing " Badge Burnout " 

14 hours ago, Rolta said:

I'm OK with the new one, but this does look a lot better. 

The new one is awful and even a simple tweak like putting Aston villa at the top rather than the bottom makes it obvious how bad it is. Who signed off on it????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Out of likes, and think I'm also experiencing " Badge Burnout " 

Which is what they wanted.

Prepare for ticket price increase burnout as well.

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The 1874 is the perfect example of why fan votes or listening to fan submissions about elements doesn't work.

The club ask people if they want 1874 on the badge, they say yes, and it gets shoehorned in awkwardly and doesn't fit with the rest of the design. I don't love the star either, but I can at least see how it fits on the badge. The 1874 takes up valuable real estate while also blending in way too much. The lion would fit much more naturally on the badge if the 1874 was removed. But we have to have it because of "fan consultation".

Exactly what happened with the original Lerner badge. A survey that showed fans wanted a shit load of different elements do they just chucked them all on there. And nobody stood back and thought “this actually looks shit”

Absolutely no surprise that we’ve gone back to an in house design team for this new badge and we’ve got a similar outcome. 

For as much as the round badge wasn’t perfect, it at least looks like it’s been done by a professional rather than a 12 year old on his dad’s computer

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Accepting all the known limitations and even the assumed limitations that went in to the redesign..... this is what we should have ended up with.

The drop shadow is no longer offensive, and in fact its barely noticeable. But it does its job of allowing the lion to stand out.

The lion is central and at a distance doesn't look like he's squished up the top of the badge for no apparent reason.

The name doesn't look misaligned because the space in the middle of it directly aligns with the middle of the lions head. It's meant to be.

I can't understand why, when knowing he wanted to stick close to our previous identity, we didn't do this.

From a technical point of view, the less offensive drop shadow does look much better at this size as you say, however, when you shrink it down to a smaller size, it becomes less effective than the flat shadow, so I imagine that would have been a consideration.

There's also an issue in how you could physically represent that more subtle shadow, obviously for digital media it is fine for most sizes, print media would depend on the quality of print really, it would look gorgeous in a high-quality print brochure or something like that, but would probably look messy in a lower-quality print, like say in local newspaper etc. Then you have things like the 3D signage we have on the stands, and the crests on the kits, I'm not sure the subtle shadow could be achieved very easily on those kinds of mediums, where the flat shadow can be. Though I prefer the subtle gradient from a purely aesthetical point of view, I think technically the flat one is more functional to use when so many types of media need to be considered.

One of the first things I learned when I went into design was that drop shadows should be a last resort, and if you have to resort to them then usually the design has gone wrong somewhere. Don't get me wrong, shadows can be used and used well in the right circumstances, but those circumstances are rare, and usually, it's best to go big or go home with it I find.

I don't like the shadow, but it's serving its intended purpose of creating a bit more contrast, it's kind of like having a manky plaster on your face to cover up a spot or something, it doesn't look good, but it is arguably better than the alternative.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Honestly the Aston Villa being at the bottom of the new badge is the least of its issues for me.

The undetailed, sickly yellow lion is paramount, followed by the drop shadow, followed by the star, followed by the predominance of blue, followed by 1874 being in **** Arial Bold or whatever shit MS font that is.

Name being at bottom doesn't bother me at all, it's all the rest basically.

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

From a technical point of view, the less offensive drop shadow does look much better at this size as you say, however, when you shrink it down to a smaller size, it becomes less effective than the flat shadow, so I imagine that would have been a consideration.

It's a bit presumptuous that anything was a major consideration apart from cost

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

It's a bit presumptuous that anything was a major consideration apart from cost

Sorry I forgot, it was clearly designed by a Blues fan full of Stella on his ancient computer in Word 95. There's simply no other explanation.

Or, just possibly, some people might be overreacting on the internet again, I'm just putting it out there as a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

You’re totally right about the entire drop shadow issue. Yet, finding that shirt to shield to lion contrast that has that same (dare I say) “pop” that the blue and yellow has is damn hard. The blue and yellow badge just glows off our shirts. Yet you switch the lion to a claret lion (the logical choice) it just loses that glow. 

it’s odd, and a fun problem to solve 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

You’re totally right about the entire drop shadow issue. Yet, finding that shirt to shield to lion contrast that has that same (dare I say) “pop” that the blue and yellow has is damn hard. The blue and yellow badge just glows off our shirts. Yet you switch the lion to a claret lion (the logical choice) it just loses that glow. 

it’s odd, and a fun problem to solve 

I think it depends on how much value you place on it popping off the kit, some will say how it looks on the kit is THE most important part of our branding, others not so much. Should it dictate a large chunk of our branding? I don't know, it's an interesting discussion to have.

The fact is we've evolved from a crest that had plenty of issues, too many to fix in one go, the evolution has arguably fixed some and potentially set up to fix others down the line, but the lack of contrast between the blue and yellow was my biggest pet peeve and the drop shadow is just a sticking plaster for that.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think it depends on how much value you place on it popping off the kit, some will say how it looks on the kit is THE most important part of our branding, others not so much. Should it dictate a large chunk of our branding? I don't know, it's an interesting discussion to have.

The fact is we've evolved from a crest that had plenty of issues, too many to fix in one go, the evolution has arguably fixed some and potentially set up to fix others down the line, but the lack of contrast between the blue and yellow was my biggest pet peeve and the drop shadow is just a sticking plaster for that.

At least the plaster wasn’t a gradient 🤭

as of that pop off the shirt… it’s a compromise at best really. It’s that, or tone it back so it works elsewhere.

The logical answer is tone it back, for the greater whole. But the designer in me wants that pop and make it work. 

but alas, it feels like this moment 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR33NF3Y04PLWR7WQP_LSq

Edited by CarryOnVilla

Just sharing this as a form of therapy and to draw a line under badge-gate. These are most of the badges I slapped together during this debacle - some trying to fix the one we're getting - as many others have - and some just... because. (Yes, I have insomnia and need to get out more.) 

all crests.jpg

• Like 2

I know a couple of folks have mentioned it but I can't help but feel that the "announcement" of our new badge is being massively (and perhaps intentionally) overshadowed by the adidas announcement.

The main piece of branding for our club has just been wheeled out alongside the announcement of our new kit manufacturer and there has been zero official comms from the club about it. Adidas will come and go but this badge, just like all of our other badges, will be with us FOREVER.

Did they think we just wouldn't notice? It very much feels like they know the fans aren't keen on the design but have decided we're using it in spite of that fact so they've just sneaked it through the door. Bizarre.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Just sharing this as a form of therapy and to draw a line under badge-gate. These are most of the badges I slapped together during this debacle - some trying to fix the one we're getting - as many others have - and some just... because. (Yes, I have insomnia and need to get out more.) 

all crests.jpg

All your stuff is top notch but mate… use the right shade of blue please 😂

more sky blue than neon or overly vibrant. Not too saturated and more on the pale side.

Edited by Jas10

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

all crests.jpg

Other than the blue… I’d go so far as to say that these are the best designs we’ve ever seen…

But none of them are ever happening so… let’s avoid the pain 😆

You’ve covered every angle… if only they could have been submitted to the club for consideration and some sort of brainpower used…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Slowly coming into the acceptance phase on this abomination of a badge so I'll have one last vent before trying to move on. 

The thing that ultimately bothers me the most is the arrogance this whole debacle has been handled with combined with insanely amateurish result. I could accept one or the other, especially given the context of the season, but the combo just leaves a very sour taste and it is a real shame considering the great atmosphere and direction of the club. As been shown multiple times, even minor adjustments to the design makes it look way more cohesive and professional. So why o why we've pushed this crap out while simultaneously rewriting the story around it is just incomprehensible, some of the worst decision making I've seen in my 30 years supporting the club. 

Thankfully it's balanced atm with some of the absolute best decision making I've ever seen as well so time to enjoy that and say bye to this thread! 

Edited by trom_borg
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I know a couple of folks have mentioned it but I can't help but feel that the "announcement" of our new badge is being massively (and perhaps intentionally) overshadowed by the adidas announcement.

The main piece of branding for our club has just been wheeled out alongside the announcement of our new kit manufacturer and there has been zero official comms from the club about it. Adidas will come and go but this badge, just like all of our other badges, will be with us FOREVER.

Did they think we just wouldn't notice? It very much feels like they know the fans aren't keen on the design but have decided we're using it in spite of that fact so they've just sneaked it through the door. Bizarre.

They know people don't like it so they're just quietly releasing it alongside a much more positive announcement

• Like 2