Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Why even bother at all then? Fine if you want to scrap the round badge (well, let's not go there for now) but then just revert to the Lerner badge until we can sort it properly. That would've been the cheapest option.

What you don't do is go and make it even worse! We could've save the five quid that Heck paid his kid to make the new one.

Just on this, if they really did want to scrap the badge (and clearly they did and I agree with that position), this is our biggest shot at revenue in our history. I don’t think there’s time to piss around with consultations etc. The lion is the lion we have had for years prior to this year and already appears everywhere, this iteration of the badge is still recognisable to those who are familiar with the Lerner badge (I.e. everyone) and so from a marketability/recognition perspective at this particular time I can see why they have done it. 

• Like 2

They’ve successfully worn us down on this with how long it’s all taken and the back n forth… a mess and a farce and piss poor communication (almost as piss poor as the crest itself). We’ll just have to accept it and move on…  but we’ve been misled ultimately and have really had no say in the matter.

Cheap is the first word that comes to mind.

It does look like a cost cutting exercise rather than anything we were promised or asked about (yeah right, fan opinion has been completely ignored and that was more of a “show” or ticking boxes than anything else).

If we wanted to save money, we may as well have stuck with the AVFC badge (which, in a couple of forms, looks better and more attractive than this ugly shite) and used the standalone lion more and could utilised the detailed version.

It’s disappointing and almost pointless, a downgrade… but, we have no power or say and jsut have to get on with it.

A bit shocking how poor and ugly it looks especially with the big adidas reveal… brings it down aesthetically…

They’ve drained us to the point that we don’t even care that much anymore… and can be distracted by other things such as our success on the pitch and promising future, new signings etc.

But… this is our badge, our symbol, our identity… it represents us everywhere, in all forms of media and on all forms of merchandise and club gear. It’s great to have Adidas but a poor or ugly badge risks making that stuff less appealing.

It’s a shame it’s so poor and after all this time we’ve ended up with something that is, at best, similar to what we wanted to get away from (esp continuing with the ridiculous yellow on blue) and at worst, an inferior and uglier version. It’s been a long and pointless exercise.

It’s a shame.

Oh well.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Read this properly now.

it's just full of lies :D Mainly from Chris Heck quotes

I don't for one second believe he didn't know a badge chanhe was imminent when he started in the job. And ss for the claim there wasn't enough consultation on the round badge, absolutely BS compared to the lack of consultation on this one.

People don't like me criticising Heck so I will desist from now on but come on? It's been quite a mixed bag and that is being kind. That there is gaslighting.

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

Hey, you seemed more supportive of the badge yesterday  or am I reading too much into it?

You are reading too much in to it. 

I’ve never stated I liked the badge. I’m not a fan of the whole thing, but like elements of it. And the elements I like are things that are being used to expand on the branding. What’s nice. 

But back to the badge, I don’t like the squished in “Aston Villa” at the bottom, with the shield tip emphasising the uneveness of the words. It would have sat nicer at the top with the lion below. and I don’t like the shirt to shield to lion contrast. a claret lion or the whole badge in mono colour gold or white  

those two things fixed it go from being “fine” to being “good” maybe “pretty good” if we have the round badge lion. 

my biggest beef is the process to get to the round badge was flawed, and heck’s solution fixes some stuff but not all. So we got a lot of meh fans from multiple sides

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The ignorance of people in this thread has been off the charts. As the Price of Football explained in a recent episode. The cost of rebranding and marketing the new crest (the one we've got for this season) is very expensive. People don't realise that. 

Described as "the salary of a senior player for a whole season". As we are close to PSR limits the club made the financial decision to keep the same badge we've had for years and make a minor update to it around the text.

The reason we have done this is because of PSR the same reason we've not go e ahead with the North Stand redevelopment. Yet we get never ending whining by perpetually ignorant fans in this thread.

You don't have a clue how to run a football club. The people on charge of Villa do and focussing on PSR is the right thing to do at such a critical time

Perhaps we shouldn't have done it twice then? Also, the extent to which it differs from previous crests is largely irrelevant. The costs are in the marketing and design costs. It's not like were saving money cos we had a shit load of light blue paint in the basement of VP. Changing a full stop would cost almost as much as a full redesign. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Where did they get the font from for the "Aston Villa"?

Looks like something from MS word art.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

And they go on and on about how they're entitled to know all the business decisions the club make. Whining and complaining experts. 

Some people just live to bitch and moan. We've done too well on football pitch so this is the outlet.

Actually, the fanbase is entitled to know the decisions about badge rebranding. The club badge is a protected characteristic as per Premier League rules and can't be changed without being approved by the fans. Them's the actual rules

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep but to be fair, you were negative about our chances on the football side for so long this season, while many of us were positive and now many of us bitch and moan about this abomination of a badge while you are ok about it.  We all have our views which differ and which we are entitled to whine about.

Yep.

We have every reason to complain or even moan about this, fully entitled to.

It’s not a small matter or a non issue.

We’ve all been misled and lied to and ended up with a piece of crap. Let’s just say it straight and stop lying to ourselves.

The whole “consultation process” was a long and stupid farce, a pointless exercise or box ticking exercise to try and appease a few people… We’ve been treated like idiots really.

“Leave it to the professionals” eh? F u Heck

Seems like the complaints to FAB have fallen on deaf ears too… suppose we just have to move on, but we don’t have to be happy about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Have you read the Heck puff piece somebody posted? Will be interested in your take mate.

Not yet,  not really in the mood either rn 😂 but I’ll get round to it.

Don’t really see what value my opinion has either 😂😂😂

or any of us fans apparently 😂😂😂

Anyway… I’ll get over it and move on, and focus on more positive things…

But this is shite and there’s no getting away from it.

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Forget the font, where did they get that beautiful, magnificent drop shadow from? 😂😂😂

How innovative 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Not yet,  not really in the mood either rn 😂 but I’ll get round to it.

Don’t really see what value my opinion has either 😂😂😂

or any of us fans apparently 😂😂😂

Anyway… I’ll get over it and move on, and focus on more positive things…

But this is shite and there’s no getting away from it.

I am sure this thread is winding to a close now and I just want to say I thoroughly enjoyed your posts and your passion. 

UTV mate

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

This is funny, because it's the font introduced by Dragon Rouge for the round badge.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was never completely happy with the round badge (especially stupidly turning the lion round) but it could have been tweaked and improved and was the result of a, however limited, fan consultation…

It’s way better from a design and aesthetic aspect than this thing…

Will always be associated with this wonderful season and achievement (along with the sweaty kits 😂)

We’ve downgraded… both from that and the AVFC badge.

Having read the article in marketing week some of that is porky pies in terms of consultation. The club consulted far more on the round badge process. That is what the majority of the fanbase wanted (I didn't but the vote was solidly pro-round). To say otherwise is nonsense. And it still hasn't really been fully launched, it has just sort of appeared next to the Adidas announcement. From a distance, it looks the same as the existing badge which suggests continuity rather than a brave new world. And the article talked about the importance of claret and blue in terms of our branding and yet the badge is largely yellow. 

• Like 2

I can see where some people are coming from that a predominantly claret badge on a claret shirt isn't ideal. In which case it was really daft to give us the option if they were just going to ignore the response.