Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

Fwiw the claret background looks best for me. It’s far more impactful than the baby powder blue background of the other options 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s absolutely insane how much better it looks with the words at the top.

And the new lion. And without the double outline. And without the shadow. 

Basically everything they did to it was shit 😂

They used a decent font I guess 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I still think that new lion is shite. 

Do people really like it?

It's imbalanced, the mane looks like a Michael Bolton haircut from the early 90s and for some reason it's hanging back and making the lion look like its falling backwards.

It actually looks like the designers from Dragon Rouge retracted the lion's head slightly in order specifically to make room for the star between head and forepaw.

In summary, it's crap. It might have more detail but so do any of the dozens of lion templates on Canva. Doesn't make it good.

I often wonder why it doesn't just get rotated a few degrees anticlockwise to stop it from looking like it's falling over backwards.

• Like 1

Begs the question, why doesn't the club just run this design stuff as a competition. Ten year season ticket for the winner and save several 10s of thousands of pounds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And the new lion. And without the double outline. And without the shadow. 

Basically everything they did to it was shit 😂

They used a decent font I guess 

Yeah the font and the shape of the shield are about the only 2 things I like.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

It’s quite a pickle that they are in.  

We’ve heard that Heck is tunnelled vision in his ideas from his last job.  This can be a positive and a negative for an executive.  You want an executive that has conviction of their decisions, a leader that will take the masses with them.  The problem is when that is against the masses wishes and they (executive) don’t have the ability to adjust.  

It’ll be interesting to see if Heck can adjust, otherwise the owners have a decision to make.  If he does adjust we may never know if that was Heck’s decision or the owners because good owners (like we have) will let Heck take the credit especially after the embarrassment of this public tiff with the fans especially as it’s made the national press.

But that's the thing. A good executive will also be able to read the room, and will work with stakeholders. Introduce ideas, sure, great even, but work with them. Only a bad manager forces through an idea unilaterally that has already been roundly rejected by consumers.

From where I am, outside the industry, it seems that branding's job is populist. Unpopular branding fails at literally the only job it has to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I often wonder why it doesn't just get rotated a few degrees anticlockwise to stop it from looking like it's falling over backwards.

Obviously the lion is doing a Neo style dodge to avoid the star hitting it in the face.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

The potential options re next steps probably are: 

- Launch the crest as planned - This is by far the worst option and they’d be stupid for even entertaining it. The complaint to the FA would escalate and the media would get hold of the story and turn it into fans v the club as there’s nothing else negative to write about the club at the moment.

- Make some quick refinements to the leaked crest that make it more palatable and then give some bullshit reason that the leaked crest was never the final version. This probably appeals to heck the most. 

- Very quickly design some new crests based on the huge volume of fan sentiment that’s been shared online in the last week. You could then run these by the FAB for genuine input before finalizing a choice that you have confidence is going to be received well by the fanbase. 

- Scrap it all and stick with the new crest that was finalised last year. This would be hugely damaging for Heck so doubt it’s a realistic option.

I think a lot will depend on next season's shirts and where were are with that - the designs will already have been done, production will most likely start in a few weeks and if we're putting the crest on a patch rather than having it on the shirt directly, then there's a chance that they copyrighted it on the 20th December in advance of sending it to those manufacturers to start making the patches - if it's already in production somewhere, then I would doubt very much we're going to change anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

But that's the thing. A good executive will also be able to read the room, and will work with stakeholders. Introduce ideas, sure, great even, but work with them. Only a bad manager forces through an idea unilaterally that has already been roundly rejected by consumers.

From where I am, outside the industry, it seems that branding's job is populist. Unpopular branding fails at literally the only job it has to do.

I agree with you.  My point was that Heck is known to be tunnelled vision and has been successful at that.  Given that he’s unlikely to change because of us fans.  So the owners have to decide whether they step in or not because fans aren’t happy and Heck is known not to change course.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

So frustrating that a few simple tweaks would make the leaked one so much better. I'd be happy with any of these 3.

Much nicer. I would guess if this had been presented as the alternative to the round badge rather than the horrid gas lamp badge it would have been a close run thing. Also, cannot believe they are reverting to the Lerner lion when you see them side by side. 😖

• Like 2

The lion is not the (main) problem… the biggest offender and issue is yellow on blue… it’s so obvious and significant.

I don’t understand why we are seeing variations of yellow on blue versions… that gets us nowhere and is… again, pointless.

There is no contrast, the lion (our main symbol, identity etc.) is obscured and blurred out depending on the situation - from a distance, zoomed out, in light

Any yellow lion on a light blue background is going to have the same problem and issue… it’s absurd…

and most of all, yellow and blue are not our club colours

we are the original Claret & Blue! There is such a lack of claret in our badges besides the round one…

I see zero point in adjusting or altering the Lerner badge, either properly change it (the colours most of all) or do not bother at all and just stick with it - if we are trying to be cost effective, then that’s the way to go… but I’m not so sure that’s the mentality…

Because it doesn’t explain why we went ahead with the round badge and started showing it off and had it on the kits… without the CEO change we would have continued with that badge…

None of this makes much sense, it’s just a complete mess and embarrassment.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, villan95 said:

So frustrating that a few simple tweaks would make the leaked one so much better. I'd be happy with any of these 3.

Either of the bottom left two would be good.

What's nuts is they've made the curve at the top and not utilised it, when it's actually perfect for the writing, instead of forcing it down the bottom. ( Although that is the least offensive thing for me in fairness )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's nuts is they've made the curve at the top and not utilised it, when it's actually perfect for the writing, instead of forcing it down the bottom. ( Although that is the least offensive thing for me in fairness )

This is better than all of them:

and I’d be fine with this too, it’s what we should have done in the first place:

spacer.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is the yellow on blue no longer maddening to you?

Because it’s really annoying the crap out of me and I think I’ve started to feel stronger about it than you usually have! 😂

Have we swapped mentalities?! 🤣

Let’s have some bloody claret!!!

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Is the yellow on blue no longer maddening to you?

Because it’s really annoying the crap out of me and I think I’ve started to feel stronger about it than you usually have! 😂

Have we swapped mentalities?! 🤣

Let’s have some bloody claret!!!

The bottom left two are the claret and blue ones mate.

I purposely avoided acknowledging the yellow/blue ones 😂

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The lion is not the (main) problem… the biggest offender and issue is yellow on blue… it’s so obvious and significant.

I don’t understand why we are seeing variations of yellow on blue versions… that gets us nowhere and is… again, pointless.

There is no contrast, the lion (our main symbol, identity etc.) is obscured and blurred out depending on the situation - from a distance, zoomed out, in light

Any yellow lion on a light blue background is going to have the same problem and issue… it’s absurd…

and most of all, yellow and blue are not our club colours

we are the original Claret & Blue! There is such a lack of claret in our badges besides the round one…

I see zero point in adjusting or altering the Lerner badge, either properly change it (the colours most of all) or do not bother at all and just stick with it - if we are trying to be cost effective, then that’s the way to go… but I’m not so sure that’s the mentality…

Because it doesn’t explain why we went ahead with the round badge and started showing it off and had it on the kits… without the CEO change we would have continued with that badge…

None of this makes much sense, it’s just a complete mess and embarrassment.

Thank you for expressing this for the 500th time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1