Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

It does make me laugh every the club claims that the new badge "didn't have the desired effect". The fact that they haven't used it anywhere except for the kits and have gone into the season with 2 badges hasn't exactly helped...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

It does make me laugh every the club claims that the new badge "didn't have the desired effect".

I think that's just a polite way of really saying that this current new badge is shit and we're changing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allani said:

And they were all **** ups that were under the old design team's watch.  I find it interesting that we replaced Gerrard so quickly with Emery (and his backroom staff) when our onfield problems became glaringly obvious and that we "invented" a role for an expert in sports marketing / brand development so quickly after a disasterous rebrand and poor shirt design process.  Both look like our owners weren't happy with the situation, investigated better options and then acted quickly to bring in more qualified people to do a (hopefully!) much better job.

Absolutely. They didn't become billionaires by being stupid. They recognised they're new in the industry, appointed some "football" people, and it all went wrong. They very quickly and directly corrected that. 

They will spot issues and know how to fix them. They definitely got it right on the pitch. Let's see if they can do the same off it now. They're not there yet for me, and early signs are a little mixed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

And they were all **** ups that were under the old design team's watch.  I find it interesting that we replaced Gerrard so quickly with Emery (and his backroom staff) when our onfield problems became glaringly obvious and that we "invented" a role for an expert in sports marketing / brand development so quickly after a disasterous rebrand and poor shirt design process.  Both look like our owners weren't happy with the situation, investigated better options and then acted quickly to bring in more qualified people to do a (hopefully!) much better job.

Yep, the mountain of disastrous descisions left by the last clown only seem to be getting bigger.

He was always on borrowed time the minute NasWes woke up to what the hell was actually was going on. Shocked to discover that infact the lunatic was running the asylum!

The club badge is just one of many problems that Unai/Monchi/Heck & Co. are slowly working on cleansing and putting right.

Like you say, we now have the right people in major roles that actually know what they're doing!

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They part implemented it. 

It might really be truer to say they didn't implement it at all other than on the thing they'd already spent money having produced and couldn't stop, the kit. If they'd had time to stop the badge appearing on the kit, they would have done. 

The badge was introduced in May (in theory with a big launch at the Brighton game and then it appearing everywhere) that didn't happen and the 'everywhere' element was removed in July - prior to that, the owners were behind it and the fans had voted for it. The only thing that changed was the senior management team.

The idea that they've given it some time to assess its impact commercially and been disappointed is laughable - Mr Heck doesn't like it and feels he can do better. There's every chance he can, but I think we're probably better off without the soft soap. Assess its commercial impact seems to have consisted of no more than asking Mr Heck "Do you like this?".

We are where we are, and I'd hope that what we get is a nice badge and a set of design objects that give us some coherence and presence as a brand, same as I hoped last time - but what I think we should really be learning is that we shouldn't be letting this club get into a position where the opinion of a single man can change that outcome of that process on a whim. 

Let's see what gets designed, hopefully we all like it, and then lets protect it from the next guy, so that we have something that's Aston Villa and not "Randy's Villa" or "Purslow's Villa" if Mr Heck gets the boot in eighteen months time, I don't want the next guy starting from scratch because he's a big fan of the Juve monstrosity. The badge should be ours, it should be part of the football club, it shouldn't be an ego project for CEO's.

But this was after Heck was appointed, so it is Heck who is not 'listening to the will of the fans', and 'wasting the club's money' with supporter consultations? 

Fwiw I think Heck will do OK, but I very much agree with the part in bold. I've said before, I quite like the rebrand, and I just wished they'd actually, you know, done it. I don't see the point of another one, if it is just going to be countermanded by Heck, rightly or wrongly.

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep, the mountain of disastrous descisions left by the last clown only seem to be getting bigger.

He was always on borrowed time the minute NasWes woke up to what the hell was actually was going on. Shocked to discover that infact the lunatic was running the asylum!

The club badge is just one of many problems that Unai/Monchi/Heck & Co. are slowly working on cleansing and putting right.

Like you say, we now have the right people in major roles that actually know what they're doing!

To be fair I do think that on the football administration side of things Purslow was pretty good (I assume that's why the owners offered him an ongoing role in that position).  I would have been pretty happy with him continuing to represent us at PL meetings, at meetings around FFP, etc.  I'd even be happy for us to engage him as a consultant on those kind of topics.  However, a good football administrator does not a good marketeer or advertising salesman make. 

Hopefully, we don't go the other way - but early signs seem to be that Heck is appointing seemingly good people with specific areas of responsibility so that he can delegate the smaller stuff and focus on the big stuff.  We'll see in a couple of years how successful that is.  My slight worry is that concerns around ST prices / facilities / etc will muddy the water around other initiatives.  I think it would be good to see some noise from the club about Facilities Management - if only so that legitimate complaints about non-functioning toilets don't distract from other discussions around building for the future.  I'm not belittling issues like that - but those type of issues should be targetted at a Facilities / Building Manager (and maybe there needs to be a regular fan's focum with them) rather than distracting from the time fans get with senior people like Heck which should be used on building the bigger stuff around the club. 

It's a shame that all of this didn't happen 6 - 12 months sooner (both on and off the field) but at the same time, just imagine what a position we might have been in had it happened 6 - 12 months later.  Also maybe we did need it all of this chaos (on and off field) to happen so that the necessary changes were made. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allani said:

To be fair I do think that on the football administration side of things Purslow was pretty good (I assume that's why the owners offered him an ongoing role in that position).  I would have been pretty happy with him continuing to represent us at PL meetings, at meetings around FFP, etc.  I'd even be happy for us to engage him as a consultant on those kind of topics.  However, a good football administrator does not a good marketeer or advertising salesman make. 

Hopefully, we don't go the other way - but early signs seem to be that Heck is appointing seemingly good people with specific areas of responsibility so that he can delegate the smaller stuff and focus on the big stuff.  We'll see in a couple of years how successful that is.  My slight worry is that concerns around ST prices / facilities / etc will muddy the water around other initiatives.  I think it would be good to see some noise from the club about Facilities Management - if only so that legitimate complaints about non-functioning toilets don't distract from other discussions around building for the future.  I'm not belittling issues like that - but those type of issues should be targetted at a Facilities / Building Manager (and maybe there needs to be a regular fan's focum with them) rather than distracting from the time fans get with senior people like Heck which should be used on building the bigger stuff around the club. 

It's a shame that all of this didn't happen 6 - 12 months sooner (both on and off the field) but at the same time, just imagine what a position we might have been in had it happened 6 - 12 months later.  Also maybe we did need it all of this chaos (on and off field) to happen so that the necessary changes were made. 

Weeeeeellllll. Was the rebrand that bad? The majority of fans thought not. 

The biggest issues have been with the kit, the selection, manufacture and roll out of which have been almost disastrous. When was the last time a kit has actively made the papers for non-football reasons like our kit (and in particular the WPL use of it) has? 

10 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Happy the club have decided to go back to the shield crest. It's time to get our identity back and look onto the future. 

What the baby sick blue one? That is the shittest crest in the PL by a country mile. 

And I still have to gag vomit at it every weekend on MOTD.

Edited by HKP90
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, allani said:

I think 6 months earlier would have been fine, we wouldn't have part-launched this badge and there would still have been time for a more sensible process to adjust what we were doing - taking another season before doing anything would have left Mr Heck with the clean sheet he'd have preferred to work with.

If it had happened 12 months later, I think he'd have found it very difficult, if the branding had been fully launched and embedded this season, then I think it would have been adopted by fans, media and the wider football world and that trying to change it would have been much more difficult - I'm not sure he would have gone for a radical re-write, but instead started a gradual process of strengthening and editing and working with it as it existed.

It's the now that looks a chaotic mess because of the way the current (half) badge was created (one of the worlds foremost design companies describes it as 'the peoples badge' because of the levels of involvement fans had), that it has been part launched and exists in the world and that the major opposition to it is the singular desire of one man who thinks he knows better (and actually might).

As  ever though, in all of these types of debate, an awful lot is driven by the very simple question of whether or not people like the badge.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Mention of the club motto a few times, I didn’t realise we had one? Or is it still ‘Prepared’? 

I assume it's "prepared" they were referencing.

I said no. The more stuff they try and shoehorn into the badge the worse it will look.

Remember the original lerner badge?

Aston-Villa-Logo-2007.png

🤢

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1