Birmingham v Manchester

Icarium

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2023 at 13:51, Rugeley Villa said:

Brum has Black Sabbath , Manchester has Oasis. Say no more.

But you know we're gonna ... I was looking at a story about one-hit wonders in one of America's biggest national papers today, and Musical Youth was in there. Such a sweet band.

U

•  
Edited by Marka Ragnos

38 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

But you know we're gonna ... I was looking at a story about one-hit wonders in one of America's biggest national papers today, and Musical Youth was in there. Such a sweet band.

•  

Musical Youth weren’t a one hit wonder. They had at least three, four if you include their uncredited appearance on Donna Summers Unconditional Love

• Thanks 1

If you keep pushing it, you're going to learn that all the members of Black Sabbath actually were born in Liverpool to Scouse parents, all of their best and most influential songs, especially the ones that nobody talks about but the people that know know were really the best, were written by Mancs, Iommi's fake finger tips were made of Manchester plastic melted with a Liverpool made lighter, all their best gigs were done within spitting distance of the Mersey, all of high quality drugs they were taking at their best were from Manchester, even the coke, and the only reason Ozzy sounds Brummie is because he took so much of that quality Manc gear that it changed his natural beautiful Scouse tones into mongoloid Brummie sounding gibberish pig English.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somebody-or-other's Law: 

"All VT Off Topic threads eventually devolve to musical taste arguments".  

My take:  I'm a Brummie, so I generally back Brum against the world (especially that second city wannabe Manchester). But... 

When it comes to music, just like everybody else, I Like What I Like. And that is NOT driven by regional rivalry. 

As it happens, on balance I probably like more Manc bands than Brummie bands. It don't mean a damn thing. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Somebody-or-other's Law: 

"All VT Off Topic threads eventually devolve to musical taste arguments".  

There's no Smoke on The Water without The Unforgettable Fire 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/06/2023 at 07:57, sidcow said:

Time for me to rehash my Gun Barrels story for the umpteenth time. 

One New Years eve I was in a massive queue for the bar at The Gun Barrels.  A guy behind me taps me on the shoulder and says "excuse me mate, do you go down The Villa?" 

I said "Yeah, how do you know?" 

He said "I stand behind you and recognise the back of your head" and he was right, I'd never really talk to him but I did then recognise him. 

Must have been weird to spend years staring at the back of someone's head then to see the back of the same head in a queue in front of you 😁

I had a similar experience after a game at Villa Park.

I was walking down the  old Trinity Road steps when, for reasons I can never understand, I recognised Tony Butler from the back of his head, and called out, "What did you think Tone?, and he said something about Villa needing to shoot more often.

So the mystery remains, as to how on earth I knew it was Tony Butler, when I'd only ever seen his face.

I need to add it to my list of weird shit, I've experienced over the years.

8 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Manchester has a lot of good things going  on, but can it do cultural  mash ups like this?

(It was brilliant, have had Iron Man on loop in my head all week, and  the appearance by Tony Iommi was knock out)

Black-Sabbath-2023-Hippodrome-1800-x-900-stamp.jpg

Yes

I am Kurious Oranj by The Fall and the Michael Clark ballet company, a modern ballet about sectarianism and William of Orange. Performed at the Edinburgh Featival and if I’m not mistaken Saddlers Wells dates back to 1988

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes

I am Kurious Oranj by The Fall and the Michael Clark ballet company, a modern ballet about sectarianism and William of Orange. Performed at the Edinburgh Featival and if I’m not mistaken Saddlers Wells dates back to 1988

image.jpeg

Great album as well. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 16:49, mrchnry said:

I've lived in both and Manchester is a much much better city for culture. Loads of gigs going on all the time, places for independent cinema, events, great comedy nights etc. 

I think Birmingham wins when it comes to restaurants and eating out. 

Driving in Manchester is an absolute nightmare though, traffic everywhere all the time. 

Also the reputation of it raining all the time is absolutely bang on. One of the main reasons I left Manchester and came back to the Midlands was I couldn't handle the rain anymore. 

I've also lived and worked in both. As a city centre I massively prefer Manchester. It just feels a lot more interesting and has lots of different areas all with their own vibe. Birmingham relies on the Bullring too much and outside of that it doesn't feel that great, although the area around the town hall and the library is nice. Musically it all depends on what you like, and as an avowed ageing indie kid I'd say three of my favourite bands of all time are from Manchester, ie The Smiths, The Stone Roses and New Order. I can't stand heavy metal so the likes of Black Sabbath and Judas priest etc leave me cold, although I appreciate how influential those bands are. I'd say driving in both cities is equally horrible to be honest, and best avoided where possible. Public transport in Manchester is much better as they've actually got a tram system that goes to and from places people want to go. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â