Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great read and insight and interesting that maybe we were open to selling Diaby and Luiz anyway to strengthen the squad, I'd expect we may sell one big player each summer to continue to strengthen the team.

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Ten shortlisted names per position means there’s always an alternative plan for transfers 

Every position, regardless of a replacement is need or not.. just in case 

The man doesn’t ever want to be caught with his pants down 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

Just now, VillaJay said:

Great read and insight and interesting that maybe we were open to selling Diaby and Luiz anyway to strengthen the squad, I'd expect we may sell one big player each summer to continue to strengthen the team.

I’ve always been of the opinion that timing was right to sell if the right offers came in whilst helping with PSR nonsense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Every position, regardless of a replacement is need led or not.. just in case 

The man doesn’t ever want to be caught with his pants down 

Exactly. Nor does he want to screwed over when selling a name. Hence why we could walk away from deals if it didn’t suit. We don’t have debt, yes it's about finding creative ways around PSR, but we aren’t mugs. 

• Like 1

It's a long summer, and when the team aren't actually playing proper games and struggling in pre-season it's easy to fall into mild concern as to whether the club see the same issues you do as a fan. Even if you "know" it's just pre-season.

When in doubt over the window so far (which, I think is valid), you can read that interview and be confident.

We needed to increase the level in three points

1. Physical
  2. A younger squad
  3. A more complete squad, so Unai can have more options

Nailed it imo.

He's never going to talk about positions that they felt needed replacing, so while I have concerns currently on some of the same positions I felt were our weakest links last season and still remain so...

...the process Monchi has outlined is music to my ears. Physicality, a lot of 30+ players from Gerrards reign and (obviously) a lack of depth.

A lot of clubs claim they look at hundreds of players ( I remember United specifically saying they scouted 400 Left Backs before they signed whoever their last flop was). But Monchi and team exude confidence and if they have a list of 30 Players at every position, I believe them

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

On 16/08/2024 at 11:51, The_Steve said:

I’ve always been of the opinion that timing was right to sell if the right offers came in whilst helping with PSR nonsense. 

Defintely for Luiz. Absolute no brainer territory. Diaby ideally we'd have sold next summer, but the offer was too good to refuse when weighed against the risk that he might never acclimatise to the PL. He had decent stats, but wasn't exactly setting the league alight.

Could easily have gone either way with him this season, so a guaranteed PSR profit and avoiding of bonus payments made it the right choice at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't help but look at our side over the last few weeks and think about the absolute mastery we're achieving in scouting and recruitment, and it's not even really about those hidden European gems we thought this group might bring us.

Onana as a very highly rated but not consistently performing young player from a lower prem side. The sort of signing that big clubs mate, like Liverpool signing Sane from Southampton.

Tielemans from a relegated club

Barkley from a relegated club

Rogers from an upper middle table Championship club

Duran from the MLS!

All chosen because their style will fit in with how Unai wants to play, and saving huge money when PSR is so tight, but bringing in top quality. The likes of Watkins, Bailey and McGinn have barely fired a shot in the first 3 games and we've got this exciting dynamic front half. It's wonderful.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I couldn't help but look at our side over the last few weeks and think about the absolute mastery we're achieving in scouting and recruitment, and it's not even really about those hidden European gems we thought this group might bring us.

Onana as a very highly rated but not consistently performing young player from a lower prem side. The sort of signing that big clubs mate, like Liverpool signing Sane from Southampton.

Tielemans from a relegated club

Barkley from a relegated club

Rogers from an upper middle table Championship club

Duran from the MLS!

All chosen because their style will fit in with how Unai wants to play, and saving huge money when PSR is so tight, but bringing in top quality. The likes of Watkins, Bailey and McGinn have barely fired a shot in the first 3 games and we've got this exciting dynamic front half. It's wonderful.

I’d agree, although credit where it’s due: Duran was scouted under the previous regime. 

Seems to be a lot of negativity around Monchi’s summer, but I think he has brought a much deeper approach to this window under challenging circumstances with some sensible signings that will offer options and revenue in future windows. 

Im glad we haven’t had panic buys and are willing to try to buy the higher level players who move the club forward. There is lot more about this squad than the here and now. Let’s all be patient.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

Saw Monchi early this morning at BHX - he was wearing club training gear so maybe he’s already weaving his magic ahead of the January window!

He’s probably going on his summer holiday now his work is done for the transfer window.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â