Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

Just now, villaglint said:

Which makes the reported fees all the more baffling. £42m might be for accounting reasons fair enough but even the £54m we thought we were getting is crazy low compared to similar players at his level. 

I think we had to sell him for less than his peak value due to wanting a sale abroad and needing a sale before June month end. Very few clubs are looking for a 50m+ midfielder. Spain they have to wait until after June for their own rules. I think we got two of their players for a discount to try offset it for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we had to sell him for less than his peak value due to wanting a sale abroad and needing a sale before June month end. Very few clubs are looking for a 50m+ midfielder. Spain they have to wait until after June for their own rules. I think we got two of their players for a discount to try offset it for us.

Agree but if we were working on that deal for 18 months. We didnt do a very good job of it!

Really want Monchi to do well obviously and everyone is excited because we are busy but the proof is always in the pudding. The Luiz deal just feels like a skid mark in the pants for me so its put me a bit on red alert for everything else. 

• Confused 1

Well, he might just be a genius, and it could turn out that he's insane, but the one thing we can say about him without any reservation is that he's a busy little soul isn't he!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Agree but if we were working on that deal for 18 months. We didnt do a very good job of it!

Really want Monchi to do well obviously and everyone is excited because we are busy but the proof is always in the pudding. The Luiz deal just feels like a skid mark in the pants for me so its put me a bit on red alert for everything else. 

We were never working on that deal for 18 months. We were planning ahead in that we would sell Luiz this summer and that plan would have formed around 18 months ago. Hence going hard to get Tielemans last summer on a free, a CM midfielder who wants to be the go forward of the 2 who has excellent passing skills. We could then allow Luiz to leave this summer but we had a settled player in the squad ready to slot in to his place. That's the kind of planning.

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We were never working on that deal for 18 months. We were planning ahead in that we would sell Luiz this summer and that plan would have formed around 18 months ago. Hence going hard to get Tielemans last summer on a free, a CM midfielder who wants to be the go forward of the 2 who has excellent passing skills. We could then allow Luiz to leave this summer but we had a settled player in the squad ready to slot in to his place. That's the kind of planning.

Wonder who planned it.

Tielemans arrived at the club a week before Monchi of course.

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wonder who planned it.

Tielemans arrived at the club a week before Monchi of course.

Emery and Vidigani. Monchi works for Emery after all. The clubs financial situation was known. So in planning for last summer the club knew players had to be sold in the 23/24 season. We had not that many saleable assets that could bring in 40m+ in profit and players like Watkins, Martinez, Konsa etc.. were deemed untouchable. Seems only Luiz and Ramsey were the two possibles. Succession planning means bringing in the replacement a year or so before the player is sold so assume club was set on letting Luiz be the one to go

I think Monchi arrived and the sales we've made have been under his watch so he might have brought the ideas on selling Archer with the buy back and the swaps this June. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm pleased to say I do not have a clue who that is 

Really, you are too shy

Â