Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

46 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Let's wait and see. I can remember these kind of comments when we had our post-Benteke trolly dash in 2015.

So we wait to moan when he makes a mistake as opposed to give him credit when he doing a good job.?

He has done a great job so far - im behind him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So we wait to moan when he makes a mistake as opposed to give him credit when he doing a good job.?

David Brent - The Office "Ooh, Kinky!" on Make a GIF

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bookmarked for when you're slagging him off at some point next season when one of the new signings has a bad spell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

Bookmarked for when you're slagging him off at some point next season when one of the new signings has a bad spell. 

Why would i slag him off? Think you are being awfully negative  expecting him to fail. Enjoy it man we had a great season and monchi is a big part of that

Have a look in the purslow thread if you think ill be slagging off our recruitment team

Not everything goes to 💩 feeling really positive about the season

19 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

That's the difference with some posters. When things aren't going so smoothly, there isn't an instant need to call something out of jump on a member of staff/player. 

Plenty do instantly turn sour but there are plenty who react calmer and try and look beyond a few weeks.

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

Let's wait and see. I can remember these kind of comments when we had our post-Benteke trolly dash in 2015.

A bit of balance is good. I replied to JV in another thread that the sort of thing we are doing works out about 50% of the time.

It worked out selling Platt, it worked out selling Yorke (in that we stayed top 6 and got Merson and Dublin with the money) and it worked out with Grealish.

It most certainly did not work out when we sold Milner (and accepted Stephen Ireland,a player who didn't want to join, as a part exchange), it did not work out when we sold Young and Downing, and it did not work out when we sold Benteke and Delph in summer 2015.

Monchi seems to be doing a good job for sure but there are no guarantees. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

44 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I wonder how different it would have went if Alemany had joined instead of Monchi.

Probably not a dissimilar outcome. 

59 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nah, they're on FMinside sorting by potential first 😅

They've also subscribed to FMScout on Youtube & watching their videos on wonderkids

15 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Good article.  I know it doesn’t have quotes or anything but was a nice read, feel we are in very good hands with Monchi and co.   Only time will tell but I’m optimistic at this moment…

Monchi is first class, we have a real asset in him and his team. He is undertaking some serious surgery in a bear pit of an environment. He is getting through a onsterous workload and with the business being suggested, will transform the squad sorting PSR and setting us up for next season and beyond, its astonishing.

No transfers is without risk, not everything will work you are dealing with people and their quirks, and given the number of transfers there will be plenty of ammunition for the grumblers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve read the John Townley article. Interestingly he says we received £13m for Tim from Everton, and we’re paying £9m for Dobbin. Nice little £4m for the transfer pot if true. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Very good read and I completely agree with the points made there.Key ones for me.

1) Luiz exit was planned around 18 months ago. I think for sure going after Tielemans meant he would be settled by the time Luiz moved on this summer and ready to slot into CM.

2) Barkley is added depth/experience in the similar CM role, I really do think Emery loves him and personally pushed for Barkley. Emery has an outstanding record at signing older players and massively improving them even later in their careers. He must see Barkley as a bargain.

3) Luiz sale covered our PSR shortfall. I think it had to be around £30m short as we requested PSR limit moved to £135m and we probably make in PSR calculations around 35-40m on Luiz sale.

4) We know Iroegbunam was to be sold, Emery didn't rate him and seems to be keen to add a right footed winger. So the deal with Dobbin makes good sense

5) Maatsen, we were very keen on him, LB is so so key for our system and Kellyman was needed as part of that deal. 

Monchi, Emery and team have planned and executed this very well. 

Townley is a decent journo, big improvement on Ashley Preece.

The take away for me was the 18months of planning gone into this window and the following sum up:

"Villa’s long-term strategy, or a huge part of it, is to sign players who they can improve and potentially sell-on when the time is right. That, of course, will always allow them to stay one step ahead when it comes to PSR issues. Succession planning is believed to be a hugely important part of the club’s recruitment strategy."

10 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Townley is a decent journo, big improvement on Ashley Preece.

The take away for me was the 18months of planning gone into this window and the following sum up:

"Villa’s long-term strategy, or a huge part of it, is to sign players who they can improve and potentially sell-on when the time is right. That, of course, will always allow them to stay one step ahead when it comes to PSR issues. Succession planning is believed to be a hugely important part of the club’s recruitment strategy."

Which is basically operating like Brighton but reinvesting the profits in top class talent like Maatsen when the opportunity presents itself and then moving on one of the incumbents. Luiz was peak sale age and 2 years left on contract this summer. It is clearly the best time to sell him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Which is basically operating like Brighton but reinvesting the profits in top class talent like Maatsen when the opportunity presents itself and then moving on one of the incumbents. Luiz was peak sale age and 2 years left on contract this summer. It is clearly the best time to sell him. 

Which makes the reported fees all the more baffling. £42m might be for accounting reasons fair enough but even the £54m we thought we were getting is crazy low compared to similar players at his level. 

Â