Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

18 hours ago, MaVilla said:

a few rags seem to rank his signings at Roma as follows, total cost about 150m (obviously, he made about 135m on sales also - prob the players you mentioned):

https://breakingthelines.com/transfer-analysis/analyzing-monchis-ill-fated-spell-at-roma/

Analyzing Monchi’s Ill-fated Spell at Roma

image.thumb.png.26f464a3d67553b33de0defcd66fe8c9.png

Reading the article accompanying the table, it would appear that quite a few of the players he brought in were played out of the position in which they had previously been successful and/or got injured. Not sure how much of that’s you can pin on the sporting director. I note the manager of Roma at the time, Di Francesco, was sacked in 2019 and went on to have a series of unsuccessful postings lower and lower down the Italian league. Monchi left at the same time and returned to being successful with Sevilla. There may be some lessons to be drawn from that? 

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll either be a success or he'll be thanked and moved on. I no longer worry about appointments because even bad ones will be sent on after a short time to prove themselves. Whilst we keep marching on upwards I won't question those in charge of making appointments, especially ones like this that look amazing on paper. 

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me why his 18/19 window is highlighted but his 17/18 window isn't? Is he just not given credit for any of that as he'd only come in April? If so will he get no plaudits for our window?

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Think the Roma thing for me is forgiven by him having to deal with Allison, Strootman and Nianggolan leaving the season after Salah, Rudiger and Paredes left and Totti retired in this time too.

Any club is going to struggle with that, it's not a club looking to push on and challenge Juve it's a club struggling to hold onto players wanted by the Premier League and not spending more than they earn from sales on paper. 

I still would say the deals for Zaniolo, Pellegrini and Schick were good with the benefit of hindsight and if any players of that quality come in this summer they immediately improve our side. 

Edit: I'd say the above is similar to asking him to push us into the top 6 after selling Luiz, Kamara and Martinez

Closer to being asked to finish in the top 4 after selling Luiz, Kamara, Martinez, Mings, McGinn and Watkins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Can someone explain to me why his 18/19 window is highlighted but his 17/18 window isn't? Is he just not given credit for any of that as he'd only come in April? If so will he get no plaudits for our window?

They just don't want Aston Villa to prosper....so any neggies will be dug out.

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

In terms of his signings that's what I was told by Roma fans yes. 

we don't know if they was his first, second or third choices, based on who he was working with at Roma.

but anyone leaving a club, can have fans digging out the neggies.

I could find fault with Jack Grealish if I wanted too......but its called sour grapes.

We need to judge him with us, not others.

• Like 2

Another thread where we are being encouraged by some to trust the opinions of fans over the judgement of our Board. In this case, I don’t even think we have seen what the fans say, it is reported speech.

I blame Donald Trump.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Another thread where we are being encouraged by some to trust the opinions of fans over the judgement of our Board. In this case, I don’t even think we have seen what the fans say, it is reported speech.

I blame Donald Trump.

you are posting on a fan message board 

80% of this place is drivel as well

I can only guess, what has really gone on......but UE has obviously been given more autonomy than previous managers, and I guess that doesn't surprise any of us.

If he has been given a mandate, to contact NS direct for any future transfer transactions, you don't need an intermediary ( who is not a football a man) as that's what CP is/will be reduced to.

I would hazard a guess the owners want to pay huge wages for personnel who can make them huge revenues.....and being articulate in meetings,or embroiled in Administrative duties while appreciated, is not what floats their boat, hence the restructuring....that is not meant to be mercenary, but I think its how wealthy investors think.

I would guess, they want major focus on a) football and b) commercial deals......Hence 2 new heads of dep't, fast tracking, directly to the owners....no bottlenecks.

I would guess, that the new proposed structure was put to CP and he decided to step down, no surprise there.

I too wish him well....I like him....but have a hunch the owners are right.

• Like 1

I think Monchi + V Sports means he can find these talented players and we can arrange loans for them to Portugal so they can develop a full season in the top Portugese league and then they might be ready for Villa. It's a new structure and new spending power. Plus he gets to work again with clearly his favourite manager in Emery. 

They can do great things together with Villa.

18 hours ago, skarroki said:

Monchi himself says that the season long process is how they scout and identify players, so the Gross phase is up until Dec, Net Phase is Jan to April and then they focus on player profiles. 

I assume Monchi had input in the 17/18 transfers but the coach would have had more. It's the 18/19 that was mostly Monchi's

Also Monchi stated that different clubs have different philosophies. He said Seville had a 70/30 - 70% up and coming players with sell on value and 30% complete players who can make a different to the team straight away. He said for example Real Madrid would buy players to have impact straight away and not take the risk on players progressing. 

I assume the plan for Roma was get in young players who can improve after selling on key assets 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, skarroki said:

I once ready a good quote from a foreign manager (not very successful one though!) :

'Running a football club is like elephant sex. There is a lot of dust, a lot of mud, and results are seen after 2 years.'

• Like 2

19 hours ago, skarroki said:

Think the Roma thing for me is forgiven by him having to deal with Allison, Strootman and Nianggolan leaving the season after Salah, Rudiger and Paredes left and Totti retired in this time too.

Totally, and not just that, the owners were making Monchi the public face of all those exits. He gets blamed for treating Totti badly bit apparently they are mates, Spalletti was the one with the feud with Totti coz the dressing room was all on Totti's side. He was told to build a new side but seemingly the resources could only come from selling the Sabatini era players. 

No side is going to come out of getting rid of that list of players better than before if you ask me. There's the core of a potential Champions League winning team there FFS.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â