Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

21 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

This one will be interesting. Excellent at Sevilla, an unmitigated disaster at Roma, (my Roma friends can't stand him), which version will we get?

Obviously he isn't a replacement for Purslow as they have different job roles entirely and thats what Heck is for, but I'm not convinced this guy is the way forward at all. Unless he signs Zaniolo of course!

Let's see though. In Emery we trust.

I think at Roma he was given the keys to sign who he thought was best for the club. Also remember when moving he lost all his talented team of scouts he had at Seville. I'm sure he learnt lessons. I think Emery (who he talks about constantly in his Monchi 13 series despite it filmed years after he left) and other scouts that have been hired like Bonito will make it a better environment. Also there is a wider remit in terms of types of players he can sign (ie we can sign older players for the right price if they work) that comes with being one of the Top 20 sides in the world financially. 

Also in terms of negotiations Monchi is on a different level of experience to what we've got. I think the trust and admiration Monchi and Emery share will be key. Emery can focus on football more knowing he has Monchi and trusted scouts working on player profiles for him. Also with Roma, they signed too many players. Signed 13 players in summer of 2018. At Villa we'll be doing 3/4/5 players a summer most years. More time to focus in and we can play in a bigger pond in terms of signings. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think at Roma he was given the keys to sign who he thought was best for the club. Also remember when moving he lost all his talented team of scouts he had at Seville. I'm sure he learnt lessons. I think Emery (who he talks about constantly in his Monchi 13 series despite it filmed years after he left) and other scouts that have been hired like Bonito will make it a better environment. Also there is a wider remit in terms of types of players he can sign (ie we can sign older players for the right price if they work) that comes with being one of the Top 20 sides in the world financially. 

Also in terms of negotiations Monchi is on a different level of experience to what we've got. I think the trust and admiration Monchi and Emery share will be key. Emery can focus on football more knowing he has Monchi and trusted scouts working on player profiles for him. Also with Roma, they signed too many players. Signed 13 players in summer of 2018. At Villa we'll be doing 3/4/5 players a summer most years. More time to focus in and we can play in a bigger pond in terms of signings. 

These are all fair points. Let's hope it works out!

Who actually cares what he did at Roma ? I mean he’s been one of the most highly sort DOF for years and some are worrying cause of 2 years at Roma against the backdrop of how he transformed Sevilla … I love and live Villa but geez some need to get out and enjoy the Sun more 

• Like 2

In his series he talks about how he has total trust in his scouts. 100%. That they have 20/25 reports in total on all the players tracked and he filters those reports based on their grading A, B, C, D. So a lot of As and Bs then he moves forward. I can only assume a big issue at Roma was he didn't have his army of reliable scouts from Seville. So it'll be interesting how many new people he brings in this summer. Monchi will have only minor input to any of this summers signings. It's next summer he's brought in for. A benefit of course we have is we can pay more to scouts than other clubs being in PL and FFP not counting your scouting network, only Players + Emery

The thing that comes across from him in the video series is he's obsessed with information, data every kind. He's talking about mental profile of players, talking to inner circle and ex coaches to find out data on how they are as a person. If Lange has built a good data team at VP with McKenzie hopefully this is something that Monchi can utilise and add to with his scouts. 

He goes into how he then looks at the financial cost - player salary, release clause, possible fee - and he says I ring up my friend Zubi Marseille sporting director and ask how much he wants. I think this network he has is his biggest asset. He has been a Sporting Director with a stellar reputation for 20+ years and surely knows everyone in the game.

It'll be very interesting few years. 

Edited by CVByrne

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The thing that comes across from him in the video series is he's obsessed with information, data every kind. He's talking about mental profile of players, talking to inner circle and ex coaches to find out data on how they are as a person. If Lange has built a good data team at VP with McKenzie hopefully this is something that Monchi can utilise and add to with his scouts. 

He goes into how he then looks at the financial cost - player salary, release clause, possible fee - and he says I ring up my friend Zubi Marseille sporting director and ask how much he wants. I think this network he has is his biggest asset. He has been a Sporting Director with a stellar reputation for 20+ years and surely knows everyone in the game.

It'll be very interesting few years. 

If it's one thing I think we've been negligent at as a club for a long time it's attention to details. Mainly from managers like Bruce & Gerrard in particular of course and their approach to tactics and individual player instructions but it feels like it's been deeper than that. Especially when you compare to how more successful clubs (big and small) handle things. Everything from tactics to nutrition (adults who eat ketchup 🙄) to having a passport for your assistant to join the pre season camp to having merch stock in the club shop and website and so on and so on.

With Emery and hopefully Monchi I feel very confident that the football side of it will be handled with almost obsessive meticulousness. Hopefully Heck and the rest will sort out the kinks with the rest too.

Very much heading in the right direction imo.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

If it's one thing I think we've been negligent at as a club for a long time it's attention to details. Mainly from managers like Bruce & Gerrard in particular of course and their approach to tactics and individual player instructions but it feels like it's been deeper than that. Especially when you compare to how more successful clubs (big and small) handle things. Everything from tactics to nutrition (adults who eat ketchup 🙄) to having a passport for your assistant to join the pre season camp to having merch stock in the club shop and website and so on and so on.

With Emery and hopefully Monchi I feel very confident that the football side of it will be handled with almost obsessive meticulousness. Hopefully Heck and the rest will sort out the kinks with the rest too.

Very much heading in the right direction imo.

Very much like the impact Dave Brailsford had on British cycling, with the marginal gains philosophy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Fascinating video series...

I think the arrival of this guy indicates that NSWE after the arrival of Unai have realised the importance of appointments close to the first team from head coach/manager down. They are the genuine game changers and someone to work in harmony with Unai’s coaching skills is vital for our progress. I think Lange is well thought of and will also be used by and work with both Monchi and Unai just fine. 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I think the arrival of this guy indicates that NSWE after the arrival of Unai have realised the importance of appointments close to the first team from head coach/manager down. They are the genuine game changers and someone to work in harmony with Unai’s coaching skills is vital for our progress. I think Lange is well thought of and will also be used by and work with both Monchi and Unai just fine. 

It sounds like this change also didn’t suite CP hence his departure. A pity but Unai, rightly has the ear of both Nas and Wes he has the keys to the castle and long may that be the case. 

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The way Brighton and Brentford operate is they leverage their owners unrivalled data network and models. Bloom made his fortune by betting on asian handicaps in football by using masses of football data and statistical models to find mis prices in betting markets and wager a million or two on each bet. This data network is utilised by Brighton and their recruitment. No clubs can rival this, it's not possible. 

However if Lange is doing as best we can to build a data network similar to that, he's not needed as a Director of Football at Aston Villa he needs to work for V Sports and build it there for use across the sporting operations. This will give us an edge over other clubs. If this data network is then used by Monchi / Emery it is another asset. 

Monchi will get deals done and he along with Emery can use their expertise judgement on the profiles of players to best utilise the budget to improve the squad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s been on the cards for months, soon after Unai joined there were reports that we approached Real Sociedad’s Sporting Director , then the links to Cordon and more recently Alemany and Monchi. I think Purslow was looking to move on once the club was in a better place he said as much early on in his Villa Career. Looking at his previous jobs he tends to move on after 4-5 years .

I think as the season went on we could aim higher in terms of Sporting Director as the club form is 3rd best in the League under Emery. Hence Alemany / Monchi instead of Cordon

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think as the season went on we could aim higher in terms of Sporting Director as the club form is 3rd best in the League under Emery. Hence Alemany / Monchi instead of Cordon

You seem to know a lot about this, is monchi a step up from cordon then?

Always wondered why that went quiet.

My mate has just said that this guy looks like a cross between Vinny Jones and Brian Blessed. With Mile Jedinak about to be under 21coach perhaps he could sit on the bench too that would be a seriously scary bench and the likes Klopp would be discouraged toll from constantly being in the ear of the 4th official. Referees coming to view the monitor may be a little less comfortable too! 

4 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

This one will be interesting. Excellent at Sevilla, an unmitigated disaster at Roma, (my Roma friends can't stand him), which version will we get?

Obviously he isn't a replacement for Purslow as they have different job roles entirely and thats what Heck is for, but I'm not convinced this guy is the way forward at all. Unless he signs Zaniolo of course!

Let's see though. In Emery we trust.

Unmitigated disaster was a Champions League semi final and 6th spot

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â