Saudi Pro League

tomav84

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think the reality of it with most normal people is they do it so they can shave 10+ years off their working life, you spend 5 years working there in your early 40s and retire in your mid 50s

comes back to filthy rich footballer doing something that makes him even richer...but the money is ludicrous 

Yeah I get the thing with taking massive salaries so you can retire early, it's the dream scenario. Just no way I would go to some places to do it. Saudi is one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villarule123 said:

It's going to be a really interesting few years coming up. I think if someone like Mbappe makes the jump then that will be the green light for other top players in their prime to jump with him. Squeaky bum time for FIFA/UEFA. 

Will they drop FFP entirely to combat it? It's leaving a lot of clubs hamstrung as there's no way to fight the Saudis financially to keep their players. 

No if the Saudi League progresses then Uefa will just try to take a cut of it and probably merge with them like LIV and the PGA.

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sky sports calling it a life changing amount of money, is it really life changing for someone very rich already to get richer? 

Sky need to spin it as to why the Liverpool captain (is he England captain too?) would move there

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He'd have to be absolutely mental to turn down 700k a week at his stage of his career

Bit of a hypocrite aren't ya?

What about his huge support for LGBT rights. He has an award ya know for being such a ally to the LGBT community, rainbow laces an all that. Maybe it was all PR, if it truly ment anything to him, he woulda come out already and said, no thankyou, an slumed it in the Premier league, on his 50 million a year salary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Bit of a hypocrite aren't ya?

What about his huge support for LGBT rights. He has an award ya know for being such a ally to the LGBT community, rainbow laces an all that. Maybe it was all PR, if it truly ment anything to him, he woulda come out already and said, no thankyou, an slumed it in the Premier league, on his 50 million a year salary.

£36m for a years worth of football

He plays there for 3 seasons and hes got to be close to earning more than his entire salary to date

Let's not pretend that he's doing it for an extra 10-20%

Or that him doing it means that he won't be vocal about LGBT support, he'll probably be a whole lot more careful about where when and what he says but it doesn't mean he automatically stops

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

£36m for a years worth of football

He plays there for 3 seasons and hes got to be close to earning more than his entire salary to date

Let's not pretend that he's doing it for an extra 10-20%

Or that him doing it means that he won't be vocal about LGBT support, he'll probably be a whole lot more careful about where when and what he says but it doesn't mean he automatically stops

Don't get me wrong I don't disrespect him doing it, just a kick in the boll*** (or fan***) for the LGBT crew he supported so much.

He ain't gone yet anyway  so we'll see.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sky sports calling it a life changing amount of money, is it really life changing for someone very rich already to get richer? 

Now he’ll go on holiday on a jet he owns rather than a jet he rented, life changing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah I get the thing with taking massive salaries so you can retire early, it's the dream scenario. Just no way I would go to some places to do it. Saudi is one of them.

Totally agree. No money in the world could make me want to sportswash for a regime as horrible as Saudi. 

• Like 1

About 6 month's ago I was approached about relocating to Saudi to work in one of the major Banks over there.

Of course the money makes you stop and think for a second. However I'm already relatively comfortable financially and felt uncomfortable with the idea of raising my son over there. 

Way too many moral red flags and I didn't want to sell out.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Same was offered a job with NEOM for about 12k a month. Honestly one of the clinchers was realising I'd have to travel 400 odd miles for a pint 😂

Sooooo what’s this job you do? Asking for a friend

• Haha 1

£40m for Fabinho, big amount for someone who hasn’t got the biggest following or media behind him. That’s why I thought Coutinho would be offered a transfer as his following is huge and would generate a lot of publicity. 

I see Garnacho from Utd has been photoed wearing a Saudi club top with Ronaldo in the back, just making it “cooler” for kids to want them as well. They’ll have a club in European competition within 5 yrs 

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

£40m for Fabinho, big amount for someone who hasn’t got the biggest following or media behind him. That’s why I thought Coutinho would be offered a transfer as his following is huge and would generate a lot of publicity. 

£40m for him is insane. He's got the turning circle of an oil tanker. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

They’ll have a club in European competition within 5 yrs 

I'm still not sure this is the end game - I think there's a chance that a European competition will be hosted in Saudi within five years (so the whole of the Champions league for example) and I guess there's a chance we'll see a tournament that includes the Saudi teams and Man Utd and Real and Barca and co. 

I'm not sure "joining in" is how they think about things.

Â