Saudi Pro League

tomav84

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

£700k a week to join a club managed by his mate Gerrard... Its a racket surely?

Arry Redknapp sat by the phone desperately trying to get over there and put the band back together

Reads and writes perfect Arabic 

14 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I think the situation that is developing with the Saudi teams is something we should all be worried about from a football fan stand point. 

English football is underpinned by TV money, the biggest risk imo is that they spend less and less buying TV rights (probably a good thing in the long term).

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some articles yesterday that Greenwood is training alone. I wonder if United are planning to get rid of him to Saudi league and cash in as well

Greenwood’s actions would be celebrated in Saudi, seems the perfect place to send him. 

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He'd have to be absolutely mental to turn down 700k a week at his stage of his career

Relative though isn't it. For an average earner, I can see why you'd want to hold your nose and take the cash for a couple of years to transform your family's life for generations.

Would you take about 4 times your current salary to go and live in Saudi Arabia? I **** wouldn't.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Would you take about 4 times your current salary to go and live in Saudi Arabia? I **** wouldn't.

Yeah I probably would.

Especially if 4 times my salary meant I was earning 3 million a month

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess(!) it wouldn't for you. Or 99.9999% of people.

It's a totally different question for sports people who already have tens of millions and could not work a day again in their life.

Rory McIlroy has said he'll never play a Liv event. Easy for him of course as a multi-millionaire already.

I thought Henderson was better than it to be honest.

It's going to be a really interesting few years coming up. I think if someone like Mbappe makes the jump then that will be the green light for other top players in their prime to jump with him. Squeaky bum time for FIFA/UEFA. 

Will they drop FFP entirely to combat it? It's leaving a lot of clubs hamstrung as there's no way to fight the Saudis financially to keep their players. 

The pay gap is going to be impossible to maintain and if Saudi doesn't work out I cant see a European team matching a player like Neves or Mendy wages unless Alemany is involved

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I probably would.

for 3m a month there's not many places on earth I wouldn't live to be fair

you can say what about this what about that, he will live in a world where he can be completely oblivious to all of it should he wish, same with his wife and kids

i could do it now in my job maybe pushing as much as £200k a year working on something like the line or whatever its called but id be stuck out in the desert in a tent as part of the construction village, id never earn that money anywhere in the uk or europe

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I probably would.

Me too.

Couple years, build the bank then pay off the mortgage or make some other investment to set me up. 

• Like 1

Saudi is among a number of countries I would never work and live in regardless of money.

People can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. But I don't have to respect them or have any time for them. By all means take the blood money, but after that everything you do or say is insignificant and meaningless to me. Obviously it's different if you do it as a slave worker trying to keep your family alive. If you do it so you can buy a bigger TV or a nicer car then I'm sure you care as little of my opinion as I do of yours.

• Like 4

My friend gave up his well paid job at Canon to go to Saudi with his wife who was headhunted for a procurement role for the  NEOM project. Paid  5 times more than her previous senior role along with accomodation and flights and loads of holiday .  They will throw life changing money at everything to secure the best. 

Not that it should fall on Jordan Henderson particularly to do this, but just once I’d love it if a player was offered £700,000 a week said to the club “You know what, pay me half that and use the rest to pay the staff that work around the club. The stewards, the ticket office, the groundsmen, cleaners the canteen staff…give half of that money to them.”

Fanciful, I know. But it would be nice.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

1 hour ago, sne said:

Saudi is among a number of countries I would never work and live in regardless of money.

People can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. But I don't have to respect them or have any time for them. By all means take the blood money, but after that everything you do or say is insignificant and meaningless to me. Obviously it's different if you do it as a slave worker trying to keep your family alive. If you do it so you can buy a bigger TV or a nicer car then I'm sure you care as little of my opinion as I do of yours.

I think the reality of it with most normal people is they do it so they can shave 10+ years off their working life, you spend 5 years working there in your early 40s and retire in your mid 50s

comes back to filthy rich footballer doing something that makes him even richer...but the money is ludicrous 

Â