Saudi Pro League

tomav84

I think the big concern with the Saudi league, is what is their end goal? My thinking is that it's not necessarily that they want the league to rival Europe's best. I think they want several teams to be at a standard that they would compete against the better teams in Europe. They will then go all 'Liv golf' and launch another attempt at a Super league, featuring the usual clubs from Europe and these Saudi teams.

14 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I think the big concern with the Saudi league, is what is their end goal? My thinking is that it's not necessarily that they want the league to rival Europe's best. I think they want several teams to be at a standard that they would compete against the better teams in Europe. They will then go all 'Liv golf' and launch another attempt at a Super league, featuring the usual clubs from Europe and these Saudi teams.

Surely their end game is that after years of enjoying their football league we all move to go live in that line thing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont the saudis realise this is going to have a knock on effect on their national team? They are going to be absolutely hopeless because their league is going to be full of non saudis

Just like England :D 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The same england that got to a euros final you mean 😁

Yeah exactly... The PL is flooded with foreigners yet our national team does OK, why wouldn't SA benefit from the same?

Even sidestepping a suggestion that the PIF would also invest heavily in their own version of st George's there's got to be an expectation that more saudis will become fans, more saudis will play increasing the pool size, there will be a huge leap in coaching quality at all levels and then the infrastructure in terms of stadiums and training facilities will all get dragged up too

And Saudi isn't that badly positioned in Asia to start with

Not saying they'll start competing at the world cup but they should at least start qualifying for most world cups and do something in the group as well as their own Asian cup - which would make them trying to leap in to a UEFA competition interesting, said before I think they will play in the one after next iteration of the nations league but they haven't won the Asia cup since 96 and they host the one in 27 so that's not happening soon

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah exactly... The PL is flooded with foreigners yet our national team does OK, why wouldn't SA benefit from the same?

Even sidestepping a suggestion that the PIF would also invest heavily in their own version of st George's there's got to be an expectation that more saudis will become fans, more saudis will play increasing the pool size, there will be a huge leap in coaching quality at all levels and then the infrastructure in terms of stadiums and training facilities will all get dragged up too

And Saudi isn't that badly positioned in Asia to start with

Not saying they'll start competing at the world cup but they should at least start qualifying for most world cups and do something in the group as well as their own Asian cup - which would make them trying to leap in to a UEFA competition interesting, said before I think they will play in the one after next iteration of the nations league but they haven't won the Asia cup since 96 and they host the one in 27 so that's not happening soon

Because our grass roots, we play in more competitive football. I guess if they recruit more top managers like pep klopp etc then maybe might help them

But then saying that your probably right as they have recruited the incredible and highly successful managee gerrard to manage a club there 😂

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because our grass roots, we play in more competitive football. I guess if they recruit more top managers like pep klopp etc then maybe might help them

But then saying that your probably right as they have recruited the incredible and highly successful managee gerrard to manage a club there 😂

Robbie Fowler and Francis Jeffers too...

their improvement to the national team will be behind the scenes, it wont be fowler or gerrard or even nuno it will be the europeans that are going over there to be assistants, youth coaches, sporting directors etc

The national team might be difficult - it's a very small country - the population is just over 30m but almost half of those are working foreigners, so the 'permanent' population is only around 18m - which in a country that isn't (yet) football obsessed is a fairly small pool.

However, they might just do the thing they do in athletics and 'borrow' nationality for that purpose.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The national team might be difficult - it's a very small country - the population is just over 30m but almost half of those are working foreigners, so the 'permanent' population is only around 18m - which in a country that isn't (yet) football obsessed is a fairly small pool.

However, they might just do the thing they do in athletics and 'borrow' nationality for that purpose.

Qatar already do the bottom point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Saudis should just go the whole hog and allow performance boosting narcotics in their league - I'd definitely watch it then.

Sure they will once Pep moves there.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â