Saudi Pro League

tomav84

On 06/07/2023 at 20:08, Genie said:

I am intrigued to see the standard, it must be pretty shit with occasional world class 50 yard goals.

It's interesting because it's a sixteen team league and four of those teams are a very definite "big four". They're adding players at a pretty rapid rate at the moment and I have a feeling the standard, especially at the top, will be pretty decent. When Al-Hillal play Al-Nassr, there's even chance we'll recognise just about all of the starting line ups and that pretty much every side will soon have four or five recognisable names - the league Ronaldo joined isn't the league he'll be playing in next season.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Eight of their ten largest shareholders are 'big banks' and funds. The Bezos family own about 12%, the big investment players would eat Amazon alive if they were a threat.

Right, but being a shareholder just means their interests are at least somewhat aligned, and they would not lose out if Amazon made a success of banking. The real reason Amazon should not enter banking - by which I assume we mean retail banking, not investment banking - is that it's a shit, highly cyclical, low margin business that would do nothing for Amazon's profitability. 

To return to the point though, they certainly are big enough to just spend whatever they want on TV rights, but they may not want to spend very much, as I can't help but notice that the live sports offering on Prime has been pretty thin so far. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Right, but being a shareholder just means their interests are at least somewhat aligned, and they would not lose out if Amazon made a success of banking. The real reason Amazon should not enter banking - by which I assume we mean retail banking, not investment banking - is that it's a shit, highly cyclical, low margin business that would do nothing for Amazon's profitability. 

I've got to be honest, I hadn't really considered retail banking and I'm guessing that's what the original poster may have meant.

• Like 1

Anyways, on the Saudi league, there's already I think an agreement in place for a UK weekly highlights show, and by the time the season starts I have a feeling the line ups will be as familiar as much of the Championship is to most fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

are they on FIFA / EA sports fc whatever its called?

They own a bit chunk of EA Games so I imagine they will be. With some boosted stats no doubt.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyways, on the Saudi league, there's already I think an agreement in place for a UK weekly highlights show, and by the time the season starts I have a feeling the line ups will be as familiar as much of the Championship is to most fans.

If they had anyone with much of a mind for these things they would go to every single UK broadcaster and offer them all sorts of coverage for free.

Channel 5 would take it I imagine. Ronaldo, Benzema etc. Ask for £0.00 and give them live matches, highlights, all the matches on their streaming platform. The lot.

That would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Ronaldo be back to his 2012 stats

Yeah, tampering a bit with the FIFA EA player stats is a excellent way of getting the FIFA kids and teens to get excited about their league and get a couple 100 million extra fans for free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It is retail banking and that's the sector I work in.

They have already been doing multimillion pound loans to various businesses.

They have the global infrastructure (every bank and their critical supplier population rely upon AWS) and the customer base to move into it with relative ease.

I'm fairly confident that they will offer retail financial services to a global population in the next decade and this is a fear driving several recent decisions made by the UK banks.

As an example look at the below link:

https://futurebranches.wbresearch.com/blog/amazon-strategy-banking-future#:~:text=Many industry analysts are now,happen within just five years.

"65% of Amazon Prime members say they would sign up for a free bank account with Amazon, along with 43% of non-Prime customers, plus 37% of those who don't even shop on Amazon. 54% of people across the globe would trust a tech firm with their money more than they do banks. Adding to this problem is the fact that customers aged 18-34 are more willing to try banking with a tech giant than those from previous generations. This means, as time goes on, more and more people will be willing to bank with one of these companies."

Getting back on topic, hopefully the Saudi League is a fad and they get bored soon. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I’d prefer a weekly La Liga highlight show

Even if they sign 4 or 5 player's per team, that's still no where near enough to make the league globally competitive.  

They need to be even more aggressive with the transfers and sign about 100 to 150 player's in total across the 10 teams. 

Even if they just go with the top 4 they still need 60 odd player's.

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Even if they sign 4 or 5 player's per team, that's still no where near enough to make the league globally competitive.  

They need to be even more aggressive with the transfers and sign about 100 to 150 player's in total across the 10 teams. 

Even if they just go with the top 4 they still need 60 odd player's.

Harks back to what juve and Madrid moaned about when they tried the superleague, fans will follow the star players

Would be interesting to know how many teenagers who will now play as whatever team it is Ronaldo plays for won't know the name of his teams RB but at the same time didn't know who was utds RB either

Also wonder who will be the first to start selling the kits, they could do with a MLS style global deal with Nike or Adidas and then line up fanatics to sell them in europe, would t be surprised if sports direct have put the call in already

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Harks back to what juve and Madrid moaned about when they tried the superleague, fans will follow the star players

Would be interesting to know how many teenagers who will now play as whatever team it is Ronaldo plays for won't know the name of his teams RB but at the same time didn't know who was utds RB either

Also wonder who will be the first to start selling the kits, they could do with a MLS style global deal with Nike or Adidas and then line up fanatics to sell them in europe, would t be surprised if sports direct have put the call in already

There's definitely a swing towards individual stars rather than teams, but I still feel they need more than what they appear to be after this summer.

A few year's of these types and levels of signings then yeah, but right now it feels more like it'll be a novelty rather than a direct challenge to the established set up.

The money that these folks have, can you imagine the potential for corruption in this league. Expect strange 30 yard backpasses to get corner kicks in the 37th minute.

Still, it will be funny to watch 4 owners attempt to buy the league at the same time.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

The money that these folks have, can you imagine the potential for corruption in this league. Expect strange 30 yard backpasses to get corner kicks in the 37th minute.

Still, it will be funny to watch 4 owners attempt to buy the league at the same time.

Pretty sure the top 4 have the same owner 😝

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â