Pau Torres

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is the reality. He's so bloody lovely isn't he.

I do think he can look to improve in the ugly stuff though.

No, he's 27 now isn't he? If he was ever to toughen up he would have done so by now. I think this is just who he is and will be.Lovely on the ball and piss poor weak.

He did the first bit right and was in a great position, but it was poor defending after that as he both misread what Jimenez was doing and then allowed himself to be eased off the ball without much of a fight.

But, if you saw the Fulham and Arsenal red cards today, their defenders reacted desperately in those situations and basically lost their teams the game. Pau kept his head, he knew he had made a blunder but he didn’t attempt to wrestle the striker to the ground and risk getting himself sent off, he almost just let him have the shot. It looked terrible, but actually it may have been the better thing to do. We ended up winning the game and he played a big part in that. If he had a desperately lunged at the ball or tried to pull him back, he easily could have lost us the game being sent off that early.

Of course though, you ideally want him to be stronger in the first place. 

I don’t really see any scenario where he isn’t in our first XI, one way or the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Christ, such an obvious player.

F**** dreadful at defending but can play a bit. 

No, he isn't. He's fine at defending, he got done for their goal today. To say he's F**** dreadful at defending is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Yes he should have done better for the Fulham goal but just watching him on the ball bringing it out from the back shows everything you need to know about why he gets picked.

Yeah lesser men would have shat themselves and gone on to have a stinker after things like that.

He just kept composite and kept going. He usually seems determined to make it up ( in his playing style ) wehener he's at fault for a goal.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I think its more a lack of concentration than just a physical thing.  Anyway he more than makes up for the odd mistake with other aspects of his game.  Our win record was crap when he was out the team last season 

17 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

It shouldn't be up for debate. He cannot defend against pace or strength.

He was obviously awful for the goal, but there were a couple of times where it was Torres vs Traore and I thought "oh shit", but Torres defended really well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love Pau on the ball, but think it’s pretty inexcusable that he hasn’t already beefed up by now. I heard Anthony Gordon say he skips weights because for his position he needs the extra pace and agility, and the club is fine with that. But surely Pau needs the extra strength, would losing a tiny amount of speed affect him? He’s not quick anyway. Unless someone who knows sports science can explain why, I think he’s not put that extra effort in the gym and on his nutrition which would take him to the next level. 

Edited by terrythevillan

1 hour ago, terrythevillan said:

I love Pau on the ball, but think it’s pretty inexcusable that he hasn’t already beefed up by now. I heard Anthony Gordon say he skips weights because for his position he needs the extra pace and agility, and the club is fine with that. But surely Pau needs the extra strength, would losing a tiny amount of speed affect him? He’s not quick anyway. Unless someone who knows sports science can explain why, I think he’s not put that extra effort in the gym and on his nutrition which would take him to the next level. 

Put some steroids in his paella

Needs to be stronger in the duels but he brings so much to our team. There was a moment in the second half where he moves the ball 10-15 yards spins on it and sets up Ollie but Leno made a good save after Andersen got a touch. He’s got a great footballing brain. Just needs to be stronger. 

Edited by The_Steve

What were TNT saying about Pau, Emery not happy with him?

Presume it's those words from Sat (duels) or is there more?

Edited by zak

3 minutes ago, zak said:

What were TNT saying about Pau, Emery not happy with him?

Presume it's those words from Sat (duels) or is there more?

No there isn’t more just clueless pundits that have no idea. Emery simply criticised him for his mistake and nothing more. There’s a trend within the media trying to unsettle us at the moment banging on about Duran not starting constantly to this now.

I can only assume that those slating Pau for Saturday only saw the highlights. If so, I would encourage them to watch the full game on VTV. Yes, it was fairly poor for the goal, although the forward did very well too but the rest of his game was incredible both defensively and offensively. He’s a much better defender than he gets credit for and the rest of his game is utterly elite. He’s one of the best footballer’s that I’ve ever seen at Villa. He’s absolutely class.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â