Pau Torres

Delphinho123

He made a goal saving block and I thought he looked good in general. Our biggest problem was Hutchinson and the like running at us past the half way line. There was virtually no pressing. We have a couple of issues at the back right now. But Pau is definitely not one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

We also finished 4th under Emery when he arrived in 22/23 season (in games he managed) without Pau.

So a half season sample size without European football to deal with or a full sample size with European football. Which one tells the fuller picture. Plus, Unai had that half season to determine if Mings was enough and still went and bought Pau.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peterw said:

But that's the point. If we want to improve then unfortunately it would mean replacing players such as Torres. 

But you could say that about anyone in our squad 

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But you could say that about anyone in our squad 

You could you're right, but I'm specifically looking at areas we are at our weakest, and for all their positives our central defence has been a weakness for a while. Yes you could argue that losing the protection of Kamara has had the biggest impact on the team and leaving them exposed but that cannot explain away the amount of soft goals and big chances that we concede in the middle of the box - last weekend a prime example, capitulation at home v Brentford being another, goals v Olimpiacos also, the list is large. Torres does not win the ball in the air in defensive situations and his main attribute seems to be what he does on the ball. Yes, that is a huge positive for us but if we keep conceding goals that won't be enough. In those games I mentioned in isolation previously we condeded 11 goals and won none of them. Sides that concede that many - and as many as we have this season already - end up looking downwards because that's where they end up in the table. Its not sustainable for us to be challenging towards the top end of the table and needs to be addressed.

3 minutes ago, peterw said:

You could you're right, but I'm specifically looking at areas we are at our weakest, and for all their positives our central defence has been a weakness for a while. Yes you could argue that losing the protection of Kamara has had the biggest impact on the team and leaving them exposed but that cannot explain away the amount of soft goals and big chances that we concede in the middle of the box - last weekend a prime example, capitulation at home v Brentford being another, goals v Olimpiacos also, the list is large. Torres does not win the ball in the air in defensive situations and his main attribute seems to be what he does on the ball. Yes, that is a huge positive for us but if we keep conceding goals that won't be enough. In those games I mentioned in isolation previously we condeded 11 goals and won none of them. Sides that concede that many - and as many as we have this season already - end up looking downwards because that's where they end up in the table. Its not sustainable for us to be challenging towards the top end of the table and needs to be addressed.

Central defence is not our weakness. At all.

And even when it is, it's not because of Pau, it's because we've had to put someone like Lenglet or Carlos in there and use Konsa at Right back

There's a reason Pau plays pretty much every single game. And we look way worse without him

I honestly think he's the first name on the team sheet after Martinez

• Like 4

There are two centre halves not one. His positioning is quite often poor leaving gaps for an attacker to occupy and have a big chance to score. He is also poor against an old fashioned number 9 - look at DCL - and he hasn't much pace to speak of. Now I can temper this by stating that I'm talking about what we need from a top class defender in a team that is looking for more than last season. I think the team's balance is slightly off at the moment, but having two centre-halves who aren't elite at their main job is pretty poor. Mings was a 100 times the defender Torres is, but gives nowhere near the same on the ball. Torres can live in an Emery team because of the job done in front of him, and that he also had Luiz who would set the tempo, which didn't require Torres to step out as much as he is this season, thus leaving gaps behind him. You could be right, it may not be Torres, if so then it shows the folly in not properly replacing Luiz.

Edited by peterw

We conceded 39 goals in the league with him on the pitch last season, in just over 27 games worth of minutes. Pro rata that over a full 38 game season and it works out as around 54, which was 7 better than we actually let in in total, and would have been 5th best defence, behind City, Arsenal, Liverpool and surprisingly, Everton.

When we actually got to play the full starting lineup Emery wanted, i.e. Digne, Pau, Konsa/Carlos, Cash/Konsa, with Kamara in front as DM, our record was played 16, won 12, drew 2, lost 2, with only 16 conceded. Unfortunately after Brentford away we never saw that again with Kamara getting suspended then injured, then Torres out over Xmas as well.

He's obviously no Ming in terms of defending, but the idea that he has no ability to defend and it's a disaster defensively every time he plays is way overblown imo.

The bigger concern for me is the right side, it was an issue last season, and remains so this. Most of the danger against is coming down that side, and at the weekend Ipswich were clearly targeting it. The left side with Digne and Pau has been much more solid in comparison.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, peterw said:

There are two centre halves not one. His positioning is quite often poor leaving gaps for an attacker to occupy and have a big chance to score. He is also poor against an old fashioned number 9 - look at DCL - and he hasn't much pace to speak of. Now I can temper this by stating that I'm talking about what we need from a top class defender in a team that is looking for more than last season. I think the team's balance is slightly off at the moment, but having two centre-halves who aren't elite at their main job is pretty poor. Mings was a 100 times the defender Torres is, but gives nowhere near the same on the ball. Torres can live in an Emery team because of the job done in front of him, and that he also had Luiz who would set the tempo, which didn't require Torres to step out as much as he is this season, thus leaving gaps behind him. You could be right, it may not be Torres, if so then it shows the folly in not properly replacing Luiz.

Yeah, you're just wrong to be honest

The problem in our defence is the right side. It's glaringly obvious.

Torres was part of the defence when it was excellent. Digne, Pau, Konsa, Cash
The part that's changed is the disruption at right back and having to constantly move Konsa

Pau is one of our most important players. And that isn't just about defending. He's absolutely crucial to how we play football and how we start attacks

Is he as good at defending as Mings and Konsa? No he isn't. But I'd argue he's more important to the team than either of them. even Konsa

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's one of two who could have played that pass tonight...

Class act 

At times, I question him defensively, but yeah, having a player with his vision and range of passing at the back is fundamental to how we play.

He probably isn't our best player, but as we saw when he was out last season, he may very well be our most important.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â