Pau Torres

Delphinho123

On 21/08/2024 at 21:17, TomC said:

Not exactly known as a fast league, is it...

Slower paced league possession wise, it doesn't mean the league doesn't have plenty of quick players 😂

• 3 weeks later...

We already knew that he isn’t the strongest CB in the league, but the kid is pure class, and there aren’t many lumps like DCL in the league these days. 

The amount of times he finds himself 20yrds out from the opposition goal, passing it around like number 10 is incredible. 

Love the guy. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

His lack of pace and strength got horribly exposed by DCL today again. Lucky we didn't conceded from these chances DCL won against Torres.

Gabby used to destroy top centre backs with his pace. Very few players are going to be fast, physical and have passing ability.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Great player but one of his poorer performances for us today. Even his passing was off

it affected the team as a whole which shows how much we rely out his distribution. easily his worst game for us.

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Great player but one of his poorer performances for us today. Even his passing was off

Calvin Lewin barged into him after 20 minutes and he didn't fancy that duel after. Was a high ball five minutes later and instead of engaging he just backed off and let DCL win it.

Looked very slow and weak with the one off the bar aswell.

However look at the composure and quality he has on the ball so that's the trade off.

Kons is much better at reading things and blocking forwards when in duels but is a low risk and safe passer, Pau not so good at that but will attempt higher risk passes.

Hopefully we could even have a halcyon moment of keeping a clean sheet with them one day. Really hope it dosen't need Kamara to be back on the pitch for that that to happen.

My favourite player last year and so important in how we develop the ball and control games.....but my God he is weak as piss sometimes and I can't help but feel that we'd overall be better with mings back soon. His passing and decisive movements into midfield have waned with his defensive confidence so far this year and towards the end of last. I'm no longer quite the believer I once was. Rolls Royce on the ball most of the time, but when he's not quite at that level, his falibility overall tips the total contribution into a negative. 

I'd kill for a clean sheet and a solid defensive unit. Especially against crap like Everton, Leicester, west ham. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Calvin Lewin barged into him after 20 minutes and he didn't fancy that duel after. Was a high ball five minutes later and instead of engaging he just backed off and let DCL win it.

Looked very slow and weak with the one off the bar aswell.

However look at the composure and quality he has on the ball so that's the trade off.

Kons is much better at reading things and blocking forwards when in duels but is a low risk and safe passer, Pau not so good at that but will attempt higher risk passes.

Hopefully we could even have a halcyon moment of keeping a clean sheet with them one day. Really hope it dosen't need Kamara to be back on the pitch for that that to happen.

I was nervous of a Pau / Konsa partnership at the end of the season - but the extra height from midfield helps from set-pieces.  I think they are looking like a good pairing - better when we have the ball than when we don't but the more confident they become in the partnership the better.  As long as we keep winning I don't really care whether it is 1-0 or 2-1.  For me the benefits that they bring from the CB position in terms of us controlling play when we have the ball outweigh the drawbacks they have defensively.  There are still only 3 teams who have scored more points than us since Emery joined - so the approach seems to be working and to be sustainable.

2 minutes ago, tommytenjobs said:

My favourite player last year and so important in how we develop the ball and control games.....but my God he is weak as piss sometimes and I can't help but feel that we'd overall be better with mings back soon. His passing and decisive movements into midfield have waned with his defensive confidence so far this year and towards the end of last. I'm no longer quite the believer I once was. Rolls Royce on the ball most of the time, but when he's not quite at that level, his falibility overall tips the total contribution into a negative. 

I'd kill for a clean sheet and a solid defensive unit. Especially against crap like Everton, Leicester, west ham. 

9 points is 9 points.  I suspect that more than a few teams will not get 2 wins from WH and Leicester away.  Everton on the other hand have a look like we did the season we went down.  Not sure that they can pull off another escape.  Even at 0-2 they looked like a team that was playing not to get smashed.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, allani said:

I was nervous of a Pau / Konsa partnership at the end of the season - but the extra height from midfield helps from set-pieces.  I think they are looking like a good pairing - better when we have the ball than when we don't but the more confident they become in the partnership the better.  As long as we keep winning I don't really care whether it is 1-0 or 2-1.  For me the benefits that they bring from the CB position in terms of us controlling play when we have the ball outweigh the drawbacks they have defensively.  There are still only 3 teams who have scored more points than us since Emery joined - so the approach seems to be working and to be sustainable.

It would be good to keep some clean sheets though just so we can take key players off a bit earlier if we're 2 or even 3 up on the hour mark. Frustrating that the only consistent formula to get a clean sheet is with Boubacar Kamara on the pitch and we''re still probably two months off him returning.

We will need clean sheets to progress in the CL, that's for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It would be good to keep some clean sheets though just so we can take key players off a bit earlier if we're 2 or even 3 up on the hour mark. Frustrating that the only consistent formula to get a clean sheet is with Boubacar Kamara on the pitch and we''re still probably two months off him returning.

We will need clean sheets to progress in the CL, that's for sure.

I don't disagree.  But at the same time I'm also loving the fact that even at 0-2 today I still thought we could / would win.  🙂  This isn't the Villa that I'd become depressingly accustomed to.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â