Pau Torres

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, macandally said:

I believe you have the memory span of a goldfish, or you’re just fishing for laughing emojis’s

Maybe it’s both…

Sorry, where am I again?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Well we failed the exercise badly. 

It’s only a failure if you learn nothing from it.  I swear there are people on here who lurch from one extreme to the other.  Think of the mantra of “train hard play easy”, then for one minute consider it in the context of Pre-Season.

I share an opinion that we may start slowly this year due to integrating new players, but for sure I have more faith that Unai will get it right than I have on the amateur pundits on here that are only happy when self flagellating! 

• Like 2

I think I have said this before, when teams give us space our patterns are awesome.  However, most of our spankings and turnarounds from winning positions last year were when teams decided to get into our faces as a full court press.

That’s the bit we have to fix for me and one of the reasons Onana has been brought in, a bit more steel in that middle.

Isn't that what friendlies are for? Ironing out the kinks. We played a very competitive team at their place with 80,000 fans behind them. It is what it is. We're all very aware of Pau's qualities and the match yesterday, while not inspiring, will have supplemented the player's fitness and given the staff even more to think about and work with.

It shouldn't be a question of ability. At times it's going to be difficult for a CB in our setup to play out from the back. It's the nature of the high risk system we play and there are a lot of factors to consider. If it were easy we'd bypass every press and win every match 4-1.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1

I don't blame Pau for the first goal, Philogene doesn't react quick enough to his pass and he does great to collect the ball. Second goal, there's shouts for a foul, but BVB got lucky with the bounce of the ball, and Pau could have reacted a little quicker, but I don't think he could do much with Aedeyemi breathing down his neck like that. He's a crucial player for us still.

On 10/08/2024 at 16:42, Delphinho123 said:

Mings is a much better player. He can defend for a start. Torres is by far and away the most overrated player in our squad.

People scratching their head as to why we concede so many goals yet refuse to even question the bloke sitting in the middle of our defence.

“But, but, but he’s so integral to how we play”

Yeh he is, integral to us conceding so many f***** goals. 

I have just been in to the pub and spoke to a villa fan, who said to me, what a poor pre-season he has had.

I said yeah.......but its a conversation, not many will encourage.

The general consensus is a myth.....He has been piss poor, both in defending and playing out, he allows himself to be shut down, far too easily...and this was evident last season too.

I was over the moon, when we signed him.....He needs to show the form, that had everybody, pleased with his arrival....He is better than this, and he needs to show it.

Right now, he is short changing us, the manager, and himself.

I don't give a shiny whatsaname, what reputations players have....they need to be called out, when their performances are crap.

That does not mean, players need to be written off, that's entirely different, but some of his play, right now, is pants.

Imo....a fit and functional Mings, would walk back in to this team.....will he come back as he was, yes I think he will, he has done this injury, before, and come back fine.

This team needs a Tyrone Mings.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have just been in to the pub and spoke to a villa fan, who said to me, what a poor pre-season he has had.

I said yeah.......but its a conversation, not may will encourage.

The general consensus is a myth.....He has been piss poor, both in defending and playing out, he allows himself to be shut down, far too easily...and this was evident last season too.

I was over the moon, when we signed him.....He needs to show the form, that had everybody, pleased with his arrival....He is better than this, and he needs to show it.

I don't give a shiny whatsaname, what reputations players have....they need to be called out, when their performances are crap.

That does not mean, players need to be written off, that's entirely different, but some of his play, right now, is pants.

Imo....a fit and functional Mings, would walk back in to this team.....will he come back as he was, yes I think he will, he has done this injury, before, and come back fine.

Pau was key to our change in play from the defensive side of 22/23 to the attacking side of 23/24. He was critical to us getting Champions League and when he was injured our form dropped. I think Emery wants a 3rd CB as RB with Konsa beside Pau as that will make the defence the right balance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I said yeah.......but its a conversation, not may will encourage.

This salt-of-the-earth backs against the wall is getting tiresome now. Mings regularly makes monumental mistakes.

We know Pau's limitations - we play a style of football to minimise them and maximise his strengths - which put him ahead of Ty as much as we love him.

The team doesn't NEED Tyrone Mings. YOU need him to understand whats going on.

Pau helped us get CL football and our win rate without him plummets. Show some respect.

• Like 1

The win rate with/without a player thing is given too much weight; each match is played against different teams, played in different places & situations, with variations across both rosters and tactics. All things being literally equal sure we can say a change in win rate plus or minus a player is important data, but this is literally never the case. I’m not saying this to downgrade Pau but I don’t think it’s as useful a data point as it’s often made out to be. 

He will do what he does, regardless.

That's good and bad.

We're not helping him by going further and further back leaving him trapped in his own corner.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â