Pau Torres

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Pau is an essential player, but one of many.

I will be shocked and disappointed if Ty does not come back to full fitness.....He had one of these injuries, before he joined us, and went on to be a star player for us.

I have always felt, Ty is a much better player than some give him credit for, and even before Pau, it was debated who was best Ty or Ezri.

They are different too....they compliment each other.

The secret formula to football is blend, very few players are the same.....the great managers are great blenders, and they form teams.....not a bunch of individuals.

all the best teams have cohesion and flow, like a running brook, their work is well timed and full of composure, it's the collective thinking and decision making in a coordinated fashion and much more.....this is what blenders put together, to make a team.

Players are just contributors, in terms of their skill set, and all the skill sets vary and compliment each other....The manager sees what's required to win a game.

It always tickles me, when I hear, who our best player is.....how can we compare a defender with a striker?.....but at the end of the day, they both need each other to perform well.

We saw at Bescot how the sharpness, returned and the interplay had purpose and poise, the first touch returned, and the pass and move was back and subsequently the enthusiasm ( not to be under valued) was evident.

When we as fans, see things, we are usually right, after all we have been watching it long enough....we may not know the BMH work etc.....but we know what a good game of football looks like.

Well said 👏🏼 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I was over the moon, when we signed Pau.....and still glad we did.

However, his defending is not on par with Tyrones, the game is about trade offs, and partnerships blended correctly, breed those partnerships, where attributes compensate.

Pau is a fine player, but he is not selected for Spain, for a reason, and I guess, some of the top club managers see, his fine passing ability, but not so convinced with his defending.

I think it is fair to say Onana will help with that, where he will protect the back line better than we have without Kamara.

I am not going to labour the point of our goals against column from last season, but it has to become more solid.....and I guess varying opinions will be drawn of that.

Personally, a fit and functioning Tyrone Mings, will be welcome back in to the fold...where his undoubted skill set is clear. and its different to Pau Torres skill set.

We are gifted with some fine central defenders, and we have a few promising up and coming new actors, looking to push them....so the motivation is there, but it has to compute to less goals against, whatever the permutations.

I don't want to see park the bus football, anymore than anyone else, and we all know that is not going to happen, but we are equally not good enough, to out score, poor defensive errors.

Even Arsenal with years of flashy football, knew they had to tighten up to progress....We are no different, we have to tread the same betterment path, as they did.

I don’t disagree with you, and their styles are different, but I think it’s also worth pointing out that Pau can improve further… that was his debut season for us (in a new league and country) and he did really well tbf. This is a Europa League winner and CL semi finalist we are talking about… who played a huge part in Villareal’s success back then.

He has certainly shown his quality for us and elevated our play.. The stats outlining how often we won when he played vs when he didn’t are quite remarkable too…

With time, games, experience his adjustment and ability in this league will get better… it’s not like he will just stay as he was. Not to mention Unai’s coaching and guidance.

I think he’s just going to get better and better, in all respects.

Also, he had been selected for Spain for quite a while. I think that only stopped with the managerial change that has worked out well for them! He has every chance of getting back in there…

It was evident from preseason and the first game that Unai wanted to ease him into the side, playing alongside or alternating with Mings and Konsa but we were deprived of that ability/opportunity once Ty got that horrible injury… I think both he and Ezri did really well to step up for the most part… much more to come.

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Pau is an essential player, but one of many.

I will be shocked and disappointed if Ty does not come back to full fitness.....He had one of these injuries, before he joined us, and went on to be a star player for us.

I have always felt, Ty is a much better player than some give him credit for, and even before Pau, it was debated who was best Ty or Ezri.

They are different too....they compliment each other.

The secret formula to football is blend, very few players are the same.....the great managers are great blenders, and they form teams.....not a bunch of individuals.

all the best teams have cohesion and flow, like a running brook, their work is well timed and full of composure, it's the collective thinking and decision making in a coordinated fashion and much more.....this is what blenders put together, to make a team.

Players are just contributors, in terms of their skill set, and all the skill sets vary and compliment each other....The manager sees what's required to win a game.

It always tickles me, when I hear, who our best player is.....how can we compare a defender with a striker?.....but at the end of the day, they both need each other to perform well.

We saw at Bescot how the sharpness, returned and the interplay had purpose and poise, the first touch returned, and the pass and move was back and subsequently the enthusiasm ( not to be under valued) was evident.

When we as fans, see things, we are usually right, after all we have been watching it long enough....we may not know the BMH work etc.....but we know what a good game of football looks like.

spacer.png

👌

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This guy is rubbish. Going to be the reason we concede so many goals this season.

Weak, slow and gives the ball away in dangerous positions. Bloke simply can’t defend. 

I'd agree he's not the best defender but he's miles away from rubbish. He's far better than Mings for example. Plus he's excellent in possession. 

Edited by villa89

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'd agree he's not the best defender but he's miles away from rubbish. He's far better than Mings for example. Plus he's excellent in possession. 

Mings is a far better defender imo. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Mings is a much better player. He can defend for a start. Torres is by far and away the most overrated player in our squad.

People scratching their head as to why we concede so many goals yet refuse to even question the bloke sitting in the middle of our defence.

“But, but, but he’s so integral to how we play”

Yeh he is, integral to us conceding so many f***** goals. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Mings is a much better player. He can defend for a start. Torres is by far and away the most overrated player in our squad.

People scratching their head as to why we concede so many goals yet refuse to even question the bloke sitting in the middle of our defence.

It is what it is. Mings won't be ready to start games for another 2 months perhaps, so we need to play him. Unless we sign another left sided CB...

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We conceded goals when he was injured last season too. 

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We Probably conceded more goals last season when he was out of the team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

You don't understand the concept of how Pau can benefit the team more overall despite being a worse and out and out defender than Mings do you?

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Pau needs to be in a back 3 with a 6 to recieve the ball from him..

A back 4 and two centre midfielders that are not willing to collect the ball from him.. he will struggle

Yeh, just like Hogan struggled because nobody spotted his clever runs in behind. 

• Haha 1

Questioning/berating Pau Torres is almost like questioning/berating Unai Emery… that’s his go-to-guy. You know… the man who got us into the CL for the first time in our history, that’s all… and the player that hugely contributed to it.

“When Torres starts, Villa have a win rate of 76% in the Premier League. When he does not, that number drops to 25%.”

“Pau is an amazing player, I think he’s top. I’ve been a coach in Sevilla, PSG, Arsenal and I’ve never seen a centre back like Torres,” Emery said as Villarreal boss in January 2021

“I think he’s going to play at the highest level, he’s playing now in the national team but he can play in the top teams in Europe very soon,” Emery continued.

• Like 3

For anyone who’s forgotten his worth and the difference he made to us:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/13078167/pau-torres-exclusive-interview-aston-villa-defender-confident-of-achieving-big-things-under-unai-emery

Overreacting after a preseason friendly seems harsh or misguided. 

I’ve got to be honest… I’m shocked at the scale of negativity and pessimism since preseason began… after all we achieved and the enjoyment and entertainment we were gifted last season…

Some concerns are valid but rants and doom mongering is ott… and unwarranted.

The manager deserves some faith and appreciation, as do the players he most relies on.

-

As well as Unai, Pau has helped introduce, implement and been instrumental in a style of football I never dreamed I would ever see a Villa side play.

I’ve never been as impressed, pleased and entertained - as well as feeling so much pride in our team - as I have since Unai and Pau arrived…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

You don't understand the concept of how Pau can benefit the team more overall despite being a worse and out and out defender than Mings do you?

Not sure this post is the win you think it is. Admitting he’s a poor defender but let me guess, you’re now going to tell me how ammmmmmazzzzing his build up play is from the back.

The bloke just forgot to kick the ball 8 yards out from goal today when he had a man behind him.

Oh, and we concede goals for fun. He’s a massive part of that.

Go on though, tell me how great he is at passing… 😂

Torres hasn’t played very well so far, hasn’t been the only one, but both his defending and passing haven’t been up to previous standards. Not sure why it’s beyond the pale to point that out. I think he’ll improve, but that doesn’t negate what we’ve seen so far this (pre)season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Mings is a better pure defender and leader. Torres is a better overall footballer

Our biggest defeats last year didn't have Torres in the starting XI.

Hopefully we can see Mings and Torres together this season. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â