Pau Torres

Delphinho123

On 09/07/2024 at 18:55, Keyblade said:

He should be playing in a Euro semifinal today. That Le Normand is gash, and Laporte has been playing against receptionists for the past year.

Laporte has been brilliant tbf, but Le Normand is really crap. I wonder how annoyed Pau is about not being in the Euros.

On 09/07/2024 at 17:55, Keyblade said:

He should be playing in a Euro semifinal today. That Le Normand is gash, and Laporte has been playing against receptionists for the past year.

He should be a starter for them but it's great for us that he isn't. Just like Watkins the less minutes the better. 

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Not sure how well Laporte and Pau work together.

Exactly, they are the same type of CB. Brilliant ball players who are there to progress the ball and make line breaking passes. It makes sense to have one of those beside a more traditional defender.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Exactly, they are the same type of CB. Brilliant ball players who are there to progress the ball and make line breaking passes. It makes sense to have one of those beside a more traditional defender.

And both left footed. I can't remember which tourny it was now but there was one where they did start together.

• 2 weeks later...

Expecting a big 2nd season from Pau. He was class for a lot of last season and made a huge difference to how we played going forwards, but there were a few concerns over his physique and defensive ability and he struggled once he came back from injury. 

Hope he has come back rested and has been working on his strength over the off and pre season. 

Hopefully we also get him playing with Konsa week in week out and they start working on their partnership again 

On 21/07/2024 at 06:27, alexvilla4 said:

Expecting a big 2nd season from Pau. He was class for a lot of last season and made a huge difference to how we played going forwards, but there were a few concerns over his physique and defensive ability and he struggled once he came back from injury. 

Hope he has come back rested and has been working on his strength over the off and pre season. 

Hopefully we also get him playing with Konsa week in week out and they start working on their partnership again 

I expect him to improve season on season, what a great impression he made in only his first at the club. Integral.

At fault for 2 of their 4 goals last night. What on Earth was he thinking with that pass for their second goal? 

He's never going to be quick so playing balls over the top of him will leave him exposed but he has to stop making basic errors. It's why he didn't make the Spain squad and missed out on winning the Euros.

Ultimately we have to buy at least one new defender to start: either a right back who can defend so Konsa can move to CB; or a CB to cover Pau's weaknesses if Konsa is going to stay at RB. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was over the moon, when we signed Pau.....and still glad we did.

However, his defending is not on par with Tyrones, the game is about trade offs, and partnerships blended correctly, breed those partnerships, where attributes compensate.

Pau is a fine player, but he is not selected for Spain, for a reason, and I guess, some of the top club managers see, his fine passing ability, but not so convinced with his defending.

I think it is fair to say Onana will help with that, where he will protect the back line better than we have without Kamara.

I am not going to labour the point of our goals against column from last season, but it has to become more solid.....and I guess varying opinions will be drawn of that.

Personally, a fit and functioning Tyrone Mings, will be welcome back in to the fold...where his undoubted skill set is clear. and its different to Pau Torres skill set.

We are gifted with some fine central defenders, and we have a few promising up and coming new actors, looking to push them....so the motivation is there, but it has to compute to less goals against, whatever the permutations.

I don't want to see park the bus football, anymore than anyone else, and we all know that is not going to happen, but we are equally not good enough, to out score, poor defensive errors.

Even Arsenal with years of flashy football, knew they had to tighten up to progress....We are no different, we have to tread the same betterment path, as they did.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was over the moon, when we signed Pau.....and still glad we did.

However, his defending is not on par with Tyrones, the game is about trade offs, and partnerships blended correctly, breed those partnerships, where attributes compensate.

Pau is a fine player, but he is not selected for Spain, for a reason, and I guess, some of the top club managers see, his fine passing ability, but not so convinced with his defending.

I think it is fair to say Onana will help with that, where he will protect the back line better than we have without Kamara.

I am not going to labour the point of our goals against column from last season, but it has to become more solid.....and I guess varying opinions will be drawn of that.

Personally, a fit and functioning Tyrone Mings, will be welcome back in to the fold...where his undoubted skill set is clear. and its different to Pau Torres skill set.

We are gifted with some fine central defenders, and we have a few promising up and coming new actors, looking to push them....so the motivation is there, but it has to compute to less goals against, whatever the permutations.

I don't want to see park the bus football, anymore than anyone else, and we all know that is not going to happen, but we are equally not good enough, to out score, poor defensive errors.

Even Arsenal with years of flashy football, knew they had to tighten up to progress....We are no different, we have to tread the same betterment path, as they did.

What do you see as the solution TRO? I’m personally not really sure Mings will be back to his pre-injury levels, I’m not itk on that or anything I just have a feeling that he won’t be able to get back to where he was. I am gutted about that, as I love Tyrone.

Pau is an interesting player. I agree that he has some defensive frailty, but that overall the trade off is OK as his on and off the ball work is excellent. 

28 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

What do you see as the solution TRO? I’m personally not really sure Mings will be back to his pre-injury levels, I’m not itk on that or anything I just have a feeling that he won’t be able to get back to where he was. I am gutted about that, as I love Tyrone.

Pau is an interesting player. I agree that he has some defensive frailty, but that overall the trade off is OK as his on and off the ball work is excellent. 

Pau is an essential player, but one of many.

I will be shocked and disappointed if Ty does not come back to full fitness.....He had one of these injuries, before he joined us, and went on to be a star player for us.

I have always felt, Ty is a much better player than some give him credit for, and even before Pau, it was debated who was best Ty or Ezri.

They are different too....they compliment each other.

The secret formula to football is blend, very few players are the same.....the great managers are great blenders, and they form teams.....not a bunch of individuals.

all the best teams have cohesion and flow, like a running brook, their work is well timed and full of composure, it's the collective thinking and decision making in a coordinated fashion and much more.....this is what blenders put together, to make a team.

Players are just contributors, in terms of their skill set, and all the skill sets vary and compliment each other....The manager sees what's required to win a game.

It always tickles me, when I hear, who our best player is.....how can we compare a defender with a striker?.....but at the end of the day, they both need each other to perform well.

We saw at Bescot how the sharpness, returned and the interplay had purpose and poise, the first touch returned, and the pass and move was back and subsequently the enthusiasm ( not to be under valued) was evident.

When we as fans, see things, we are usually right, after all we have been watching it long enough....we may not know the BMH work etc.....but we know what a good game of football looks like.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â