Pau Torres

Delphinho123

9 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Pau going through a very Mings-like process.

Integral to our forward play, but missed by a lot of fans because he doesn't play like the CBs we loved of years gone by. Almost a scapegoat already, fans were saying 'Torres again' earlier in the Thread as Eze broke through the lines between Cash and Konsa.

Bizarre.

He'll be immense for us.

Also..

I was thinking exactly this today. This feels exactly like the 19/20 Mings discourse, which only really dissipated last season. It's going to hang over him forever. Every interaction and mistake mircoanalysed, while Konsa next to him seems to get off Scott free for similar or worse plays. For some reason or CBs need to be rough, no-nonsense defenders, and anybody slightly cultured is perceived as some wimpy poor defender unless they put in gargantuan performances.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Risso said:

Sorry, he still worries me immensely. He should perhaps be playing in midfield as his passing is top notch, but his defending really looks very ropey indeed. He's had numerous dodgy bits of play in every game this season so far, and it's all due to his lack of strength and pace.

No. He's not a midfielder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find it difficult to comment on his passing when he’s costing us a goal a game.

Still a long way to go for him. He’ll cost us points this season. 

I think Moreno pace at left back will help him out a lot

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Moreno pace at left back will help him out a lot

Exactly this 👏 although Moreno spends more time in oppositions half than our own 🤣 I like Pau & I just think he adjusting to everything about the best league in the world & the most competitive, if you watched him for Villarreal apart from his ridiculous range of passing he would pinch alot of balls of strikes specially when the ball was passed into them & that what caught him out yesterday he tried to pinch it & he nearly did. He will adjust & Emery will help him, think by Christmas we will all be drooling over how good he has become once he has adjusted.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find it difficult to comment on his passing when he’s costing us a goal a game.

Is he though?

Yes he got turned yesterday but it was in their half miles from goal, konsa is in a different postcode to his man and Emi slipped

The tackle that he actually got turned for had an element of misfortune to it too

I criticised him after the Liverpool game but I wasn't overly fussed by yesterday

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Every player will cost us points this season. He'll settle but losing Mings and Diego has thrown him in at the deep end.

• Like 1

So much of our play goes through him.

He also swept up for Ezri on a couple of occasions.

Caught for the goal but Mateta was a threat all game and what defender is perfect and never gets turned?Im sure there are some but I can’t think of names right now.

Good player and he has scope to improve.

It's rare for a CD to come in and be the perfect player from Day 1. How many hundred's of millions have Man City and others wasted finding that player? He was always going to take time to adjust, give the guy 15-20 games and he'll be the defender we want him to be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

So much of our play goes through him.

He also swept up for Ezri on a couple of occasions.

Caught for the goal but Mateta was a threat all game and what defender is perfect and never gets turned?Im sure there are some but I can’t think of names right now.

Good player and he has scope to improve.

There are none. Never were. Defenders are funny because depending on how much you like them you can choose to ignore the times they get turned or magnify them.

One of his better games yesterday and I read the comments and anyone would think the opposite. Nobody discounts the goal was poor to score but also we were massively exposed at the back for several minutes. We could have easily conceded but didn’t. His control and passing is top class and I’m still annoyed about the offside decision. He’s getting used to the league more and more. 

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I was thinking exactly this today. This feels exactly like the 19/20 Mings discourse, which only really dissipated last season. It's going to hang over him forever. Every interaction and mistake mircoanalysed, while Konsa next to him seems to get off Scott free for similar or worse plays. For some reason or CBs need to be rough, no-nonsense defenders, and anybody slightly cultured is perceived as some wimpy poor defender unless they put in gargantuan performances.

I've asked this before, and I dont think people knew. But is there someone counting each pass that's made in the premier league, or is it automated?

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I've asked this before, and I dont think people knew. But is there someone counting each pass that's made in the premier league, or is it automated?

I’ve no idea but I’m interested in how it’s done. Must be some IT system but I like to imagine someone in a room at each game frantically tallying each players complete passes, inaccurate passes, tackles, interceptions, aerial duels etc. 

16 minutes ago, turvontour said:

We have data collection centres all around the world. For every match we have three guys using bespoke software, which overlays a live video feed on a pitch graphic: one guy watches the home team, another does the away team and the third man is essentially a data checker,” explains Banoub.

“Using a combination of hotkeys and mouse clicks they track who’s on the ball and what happens to it. So let’s say Wayne Rooney picks it up on the halfway line and passes it out wide to Antonio Valencia; they’ll click where Rooney is on the pitch when he plays it, again where Valencia receives it and the software records an X/Y coordinate and time stamp of the pass.”

Each match produces between 1,600 and 2,000 individual pieces of data, which are analysed by Opta’s in-house team and packaged for use by broadcasters, the press, brands, irritating betting ads and coaches to formulate game plans for upcoming matches by obsessively observing opponents.

Linky linky

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â