Pau Torres

Delphinho123

One of the problems we are having with the New Villa is signing high profile players with no prem experience. They always, and I mean always, need time to bed in. If we can't afford to give them that time, or we need someone who can strengthen us immediately, then we need to change the profile of player we are targeting. Tielemans is sort of the one exception to the rule under Emery so far, and he was a somewhat opportunistic freebie, and isn't even playing.

It strikes me we do need a few signings in future who are proven at Prem level. Of course they cost more. But that's what it will take to be where we want to be. We're so far off the top 5/6 it isn't funny, yet we keep talking about disrupting them. Ain't gonna happen with this type of signing I'm afraid.

Edited by est1874

9 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

But can it really be said that he's fallen below expectations when this was a well-known weakness of his before we bought him? He wasn't intended to fulfill a physically-dominant role in the system and now injuries to Mings, Moreno and Carlos mean we have to find ways to compensate for this, even if it means asking him to play in a style he's not comfortable with.

Fair point !

• Thanks 1

I don't know much about him before he signed. Everyone was excited about his passing ability which is fair enough.

That said a defender's first job is to defend well. Now I'm thinking given villareal got to champions league semi finals and performed well with Torres playing, that he can't be an awful defender.

It's not like the champions league isn't physical?

I’m hoping that he’s still settling in and trying to get used to playing with a new group of players.

Pretty sure there were a few saying that both Mings and Konsa weren’t good enough for the PL in our first season, and look at them now.

I was probably one of them saying that they were shit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

But can it really be said that he's fallen below expectations when this was a well-known weakness of his before we bought him? He wasn't intended to fulfill a physically-dominant role in the system and now injuries to Mings, Moreno and Carlos mean we have to find ways to compensate for this, even if it means asking him to play in a style he's not comfortable with.

(I do think football fans often underestimate just how specific players' roles are and how dependent they are on the system ticking along nicely. I doubt there are very many players who can override this and compensate for the loss of a player who fulfills a different role. Perhaps this was less true in the past, and perhaps that's why people have this expectation of players taking charge when things go pear-shaped?)

A centre back who's role isn't to compete physically?? Even if that's the plan on paper, it's simply not going to work in practice when we're playing in the most intense league in the world with top quality opposition looking to exploit any minor weakness they can find. There is certainly no space for such obvious weaknesses. Torres needs to toughen up fast. I think he can grow into the role but it's a steep learning curve and he needs to be doing all he can to get to the level we need him to be at

I think he was bought in to support Mings and Konsa and play as part of a back 3 or as a rotational option. If Emery had known Mings would be out for a season, I’m not sure Pau would be the signing he made. But we’re stuck with him so he needs to adapt quickly. 

The shame of it is, I’m not even sure we’re seeing the best parts of his game often enough. 

I get kind of fed up when posters give perfectly valid opinions and criticism and then others jump in and accuse them of scapegoating. Pau being a concern and the whole team playing badly can both be true.

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Hope he improves but until he does, we have a problem !

I don't think he'll be improving much to be honest. This is him.

Obviously he's been stitched up and thrown in immediately with Mings injury. That's not ideal. He's not a young player overawed or anything though. He's just playing his game and sometimes it works better than others.

Hopefully he'll get more used to the rough and tumble but fundamentally he's not going to change IMO.

Technical, progressive, crucial to spreading calmness through the team.

Slow and weak for a man his size. Sometimes gives marked players death passes they've got about 5% of hanging onto.

Not convinced he was the right buy for us for where we are. Hope to be hugely wrong come the end of the season and it's clicked.

• Like 1

Next week we focus on turning and rushing back!

He made a couple of mistakes today, but I don't care much about that, everyone does and he will learn. What was a bit more concerning is what seems to be lack of pace and slow on the turn, really hope it's a matter of adapting to the PL. Even if that will remain his other attributes probably still means he should be a starter, but we need to adapt how we defend if so. It was not good to see how vulnerable we were to the balls played in behind our defence.

[Disclaimer: This is not part of a negative campaign against him, I support him 100% and have every hope that he will come good]

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â