Youri Tielemans

thejoker

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

My biggest worry is Madrid will have him for a Modric replacement 

Is this a villa thing to fear losing players as soon as they hit a bit of form? Tielemans was already known throughout Europe as an elite level midfielder when we signed him on a free. Real Madrid could have easily brought him in then instead of paying 80m now, as Modric was already 37 at the time. Not to mention that their recruitment policy has gone a bit Di Caprio and don't tend to buy many big signings over 25.

• Like 1

I imagine a big draw that helped Villa beat presumably many, many top clubs from signing Tielemans on a free would have been that signing for Villa from Leicester means no need to move house, family, country etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's simply very settled in the Midlands.

• Like 3

There's a case to be made that he's not just been our best midfielder but the best midfielder in the league this season. Unbelievable player.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

There's a case to be made that he's not just been our best midfielder but the best midfielder in the league this season. Unbelievable player.

Was thinking this earlier. Going through the top teams and wondering who you’d have ahead of him. Rodri obviously but injured. Rice, Partey no. From what I’ve seen of Gravenberg at Liverpool - maybe. Caicedo has been very good this season, but probably not. Bissouma is having a decent season but no again. 

Tielemans is just brilliant. 

12 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Has anyone spotted what he did when Fulham were taking the penalty? 

He copied the run up and was perfectly in sync with their player.

My favourite part of that was at the start when she states that Jiminez was the 'strongerist'

12 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Has anyone spotted what he did when Fulham were taking the penalty? 

He copied the run up and was perfectly in sync with their player.

i can only assume this was to get next to the ball for any possible rebound. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

For what it's worth, he's the 2nd highest rated CM in the Prem on Whoscored this season, after Maddison. 

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

For what it's worth, he's the 2nd highest rated CM in the Prem on Whoscored this season, after Maddison. 

Yeah but Maddison is a word removed so he doesn't count

• Haha 2

On 20/10/2024 at 00:07, Brumstopdogs said:

So much for the opinions of the Leicester fans....

In fairness he was poor for them in his last season and he has proven a lot of people wrong including me as I thought he was finished

Looks like that first 6 months being a rotation player has actually revitalised him and also he has become so much fitter. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Is this a villa thing to fear losing players as soon as they hit a bit of form? Tielemans was already known throughout Europe as an elite level midfielder when we signed him on a free. Real Madrid could have easily brought him in then instead of paying 80m now, as Modric was already 37 at the time. Not to mention that their recruitment policy has gone a bit Di Caprio and don't tend to buy many big signings over 25.

Errr, not really. He was playing pretty poorly all season for a team that was relegated. He was very much in the 'not a bad pick up for a free' bracket, it's only now he's showing elite form.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Errr, not really. He was playing pretty poorly all season for a team that was relegated. He was very much in the 'not a bad pick up for a free' bracket, it's only now he's showing elite form.

This. His stock was the lowest it had ever been for him as a professional footballer, but Emery wanted to give him the chance to reignite his career. It was far from a no-brainer, risk-free signing because he's on a fair whack of wages. Emery being proven right is no shock to anyone, though. 😅

12 hours ago, wishywashy said:

I imagine a big draw that helped Villa beat presumably many, many top clubs from signing Tielemans on a free would have been that signing for Villa from Leicester means no need to move house, family, country etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's simply very settled in the Midlands.

I think you make a good point. Youri seems a genuine, family guy; there was a video of him endorsing a company who did some work in his garden. This shows what he's like and he lives in a non-too fancy type community, at least not what you'd expect from a PL footballer.

Again looked good against Fulham, he's a classy player and he often keeps it simple yet often tries to look for the forward pass; it really keeps the opposition guessing as they don't know what he's going to do.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2024 at 18:41, Vive_La_Villa said:

Read the posts around page 68. Fans saying will be sold in the summer and we've been done over etc. 

So quick to make up minds about player's. 

Now he's better than Dougie ever was.

What was it O'Leary said about us again? 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â