Youri Tielemans

thejoker

11 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

To think him and Onana could get in nearly any other midfield in the league and one did and other nearly got relegated. Glad they can flourish here

Onana hasn’t been a regular starter there as well, while Tielemans wasn’t rated in his last period. That’s more impressive part than them being in relegation teams.

12 hours ago, Caddy said:

Reminds me of Modric. Not an athlete by any means but like Delphinho said, when your passing is that sublime it doesn't really matter.

Very good comparison, actually.  He doesn't ever seem to be rushing around the pitch, just positioning himself well and getting those passes away... BUT ACTUALLY, he also puts in a decent defensive shift and gets forward every now and again to hit bangers.

14 hours ago, villarule123 said:

What happened to the patronising Leicester fan that said he was fat and lazy? 

I doubt he could show his face after Tielemans was playing 3 games a week and putting in MOTM performances. In April

• Like 1

He's low key becoming my favourite Villa player. At his peak at Leicester I was always jealous and often thought wish we had a player like that. I bought into the crap early on that his legs were gone after that terrible relegation season but knew he was made play a role that didn't suit

• Like 1

Outside of the Arsenal game where Rogers stole the show I think he's comfortably been the best player on the pitch in every game this season. Last year he had a bit of a slow start but eventually proved why he was such a great signing, this time around though he's been levels above even that.

• Like 1

Youri saying that Unai has made him a better player . After over 600 first class league and international games. Says everything really.  We have the manager t0 make players play the best football of their career. The difference now apart from PSG is that the quality starting point of the squad is  the highest he has ever arguably had to work with. 

Now Youri understands the system and is gliding instead of plodding around the pitch we can see how high his ceiling is. And it is miles higher than the one Leicester fans thought he had, even when playing well for them.  Control and vision and dictating the play so so well now 

Remember he was a true wonder kid. At 16 he was first choice in central midfield. Recognised as a potential world star. And now at just 27 he is putting together all the parts of his game at the same time and showing truly how good he is 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 1

It was mentioned on a podcast when he signed that he’s the type of player who gets better with a run of games and not rested/rotated. I think we are really seeing that now, but also benefitting from the fact that last season he was able to rest a b out whilst getting up to Emery style.

On 18/09/2024 at 03:10, QldVilla said:

There were a few Villa talkers claiming the same thing, his legs are gone and all that rubbish. 

While I was taking an extended break from VillaTalk at that point 😉, I will come & admit that I was in this camp probably right up until the end of last season.

His lack of pace & mobility still concerns me a little, I will admit, however, & its a big however, so far this season he is proving to be more than positive in every area that I have concerns about. Even the lack of pace & mobility.

If he keeps up his form on a consistent basis over the season, & not just individual poor performances, then those concerns will disappear completely.

But so far, & as always when I make a point that proves to be incorrect, nobody could be happier than I am that a positive for Villa is making me look like a chump. 😁

6 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

While I was taking an extended break from VillaTalk at that point 😉, I will come & admit that I was in this camp probably right up until the end of last season.

His lack of pace & mobility still concerns me a little, I will admit, however, & its a big however, so far this season he is proving to be more than positive in every area that I have concerns about. Even the lack of pace & mobility.

If he keeps up his form on a consistent basis over the season, & not just individual poor performances, then those concerns will disappear completely.

But so far, & as always when I make a point that proves to be incorrect, nobody could be happier than I am that a positive for Villa is making me look like a chump. 😁

The problem with the, their legs are gone theory, is that it has nothing to do with the physical side of performance, but the psychological side. The person loses the motivation to maintain physical standards which leads to a drop in performance levels.

No doubt Youri’s standards may have dropped at his previous club, but more likely from the environment and coaching at the time. 

Players aren’t machines and a toxic workplace will impact on their standards and performance. At Villa he has the environment to excel.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The problem with the, their legs are gone theory, is that it has nothing to do with the physical side of performance, but the psychological side. The person loses the motivation to maintain physical standards which leads to a drop in performance levels.

No doubt Youri’s standards may have dropped at his previous club, but more likely from the environment and coaching at the time. 

Players aren’t machines and a toxic workplace will impact on their standards and performance. At Villa he has the environment to excel.

It had a believable possibility with Youri though. He's played as many minutes as the average 32 year old footballer or something ridiculous. Having played a significant chunk of those whilst he was still developing into an adult, there was a very real risk that his legs had indeed gone.

Thankfully, they haven't, and with the depth we have in midfield we can hopefully manage his minutes this season better than we did Dougies.

World class football, playing at world class levels again. He's a joy to watch.

Edited by MrBlack

26 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It had a believable possibility with Youri though. He's played as many minutes as the average 32 year old footballer or something ridiculous. Having played a significant chunk of those whilst he was still developing into an adult, there was a very real risk that his legs had indeed gone.

Thankfully, they haven't, and with the depth we have in midfield we can hopefully manage his minutes this season better than we did Dougies.

World class football, playing at world class levels again. He's a joy to watch.

It’s not believable though.

There are precedents in other sports eg cycling, athletics, swimming etc where athletes cover more klm’s at a young age and compete well into their 30’s at a high level.

Every athlete is different, but it’s ultimately motivation or injury that impacts on performance levels.

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

It’s not believable though.

There are precedents in other sports eg cycling, athletics, swimming etc where athletes cover more klm’s at a young age and compete well into their 30’s at a high level.

Every athlete is different, but it’s ultimately motivation or injury that impacts on performance levels.

It can also be physical, you get to a point where you can longer do what you were doing before. 

On 18/09/2024 at 12:34, 6065_Villa said:

He's playing really well just now and his fitness looks to be up another level from last season.

Love watching him  play at the minute, he looks like he's gliding across the pitch.

Thoroughbred.

His strength is how he reads the game, his physical attributes aren't and never have been his top skill set. It was always clear his distribution was second to none, Emery has tweeked his style in where he plays and how he offers for the ball. I still think he has room to improve, he can add slowing the game down to his tool set. Very close to being World class.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â