Youri Tielemans

thejoker

He seems to have settled in really really well into Unai's system and he's really humming along now. Oozes class, makes great decisions. Insane that we got him for free. The chemistry between him and Onana was terrific.

Our central midfield options will be spectacular with Kamara back.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

My doubts in his first ten games or so....were wildly wrong. He's been magnificent.

What a signing!

Yep, I had my doubts. Didn't see where he fitted in. 

He's playing at a higher level for us now than Luiz ever has. Hopefully he keeps it up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

All those Leicester fans said he was shit, they can't be wrong! :crylaugh:

Think it was more attitude and them not selling him even though he was running his deal down with no intention of re-signing.

Ridiculous Leicester went down with a midfield of Ndidi-Tielemans-Maddison-Barnes but shows the dysfunctional nature behind the scenes that season.

He'll get a lively reception at Leicester in a few weeks!

6 hours ago, rodders129 said:

You know what else I like, you listen to their interviews and it’s clear Onana and Tielemans are both intelligent impressive individuals. You need the mental/leadership/cerebral element in the team, especially in the middle of the park. Dougie was super talented but not sure he was quite on that level character wise. 

Onana and Tielemans are so young as well! They could be our midfield for the next five years

I agree.

They say the game is played upstairs.....when you get high levels of intelligence in players,like that,  it has to find its way on to the pitch.

We are in a good place, right now.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's just a class player.

Biggest issue this season will be keeping him fit with all the games.

Kamara will come in, Enzo will have some game time, Barkley will be there.....there so many options and permutations.

but there will be no weak links now, when we do switch it around.

we are definitely, definitely stronger.

• Like 1

Great player, but my concern with Youri is the amount of games he's played. Pretty much 500 club games, and 100 games for Belgium through the age groups. If he was a car, he'd be a high mileage Volvo!

On 18/08/2024 at 21:18, AndyClarke said:

When the players around him do their job he is top class and one of the best around. He can struggle when the going really gets tough and then gets accused of laziness or going missing, not strictly true but Onana and Boubs will elevate him to one of the best in the League.

This is a key to Tielemans. His masterclass against Arsenal last season was because when he was being pressed,  the midfielders and wing backs ahead of him were in the right positions. He had to play a precise ball to find them, but the ball was on. 

When the rest of the players aren't making themselves available, he doesn't have the strength or skill to really hold off a press. He will occasionally turn his way out of one, but he isn't like Kamara or Onana in the way they can brute force or glide their way out of a press. 

So I'd say he's a better player than either of those when everyone is on it,  but when other people are having an off day, it gets highlighted more in Youri.

It's a wonderful problem to have when Kamara is back anyway. Those three (with backup from Barkley, Enzo and even McGinn) is a really really high quality central midfield.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Thought Youri was class today, hardly wasted a pass and there were some great defence splitting balls. He's well and truly settled into our system now.

He stays fit and it's very much a case of "Douglas who?"2

He was superb. Tackling brilliant too.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Thought Youri was class today, hardly wasted a pass and there were some great defence splitting balls. He's well and truly settled into our system now.

He stays fit and it's very much a case of "Douglas who?"2

Yes he was excellent.

I was worried about him playing the Doug role...he was better further forward last year and didn't seem comfortable in the double pivot until the end of the season. That said, I think that he's done very well so far.

How dare this thread be on page 2. He was outstanding yesterday bar Rogers display he would of been my Man of Match. Wonderfully gifted footballer.

• Like 1

I think I prefer him to Luiz.

He seem more stable in his performances. He had a challenging time settling it at first but since then has found his feet and you almost always know you are going to get a 7 or 8/10 performance most weeks

Luiz seemed to run very hot and cold as much as I am a fan of him

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â