Youri Tielemans

thejoker

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I agree with everything you said but he was most noticeable in giving the ball away and people seem to want to focus on that in a game that we absolutely dominated possession and chances against a team that turned up to park the bus yet people were calling the whole team a horrific performance before we scored and won so what you going to do but shrug off negative doom and gloom merchants that complain every time we don't win 

I don't want to go in too hard on him, and i'm by no means writing him off, but you are right about the physical side. Not only shrugged off the ball a lot, but his stats show no tackles made at all during the entire match last night. 

He did look better in the second half though when Dougie came on and he could push a bit higher. If a couple of the attempted through balls had come off (none of which did) during that time, we'd have a different look at him today, i'm sure. 

15 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He's supposedly an international

I think you mean he's literally an international player? There's no supposing necessary when he's called up to every single squad.

Anyway, "settling in" can refer to a new team, so teammates, coach(ing staff), tactics etc that you've never played with before, and how you slot into that, not simply getting used to the weather and working out what supermarket you're going to shop in. I hope for your sake you're right about him though, committed to it so would be a shame if he ended up proving to be a passable football player.

Edited by Indigo
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don't want to go in too hard on him, and i'm by no means writing him off, but you are right about the physical side. Not only shrugged off the ball a lot, but his stats show no tackles made at all during the entire match last night. 

He did look better in the second half though when Dougie came on and he could push a bit higher. If a couple of the attempted through balls had come off (none of which did) during that time, we'd have a different look at him today, i'm sure. 

The stats that I saw showed that Dendoncker and Luiz had a combined total tackles of 0 (McGinn had a wooping 1 total tackles). When a team has so much possession, it is typical for midfielders not to be tackling. Tielemans had by far the most involvment yesterday, he made the most passes, second most shots, 2nd most free kicks made (if that is something count as being physical and involved), 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

The stats that I saw showed that Dendoncker and Luiz had a combined total tackles of 0 (McGinn had a wooping 1 total tackles). When a team has so much possession, it is typical for midfielders not to be tackling. Tielemans had by far the most involvment yesterday, he made the most passes, second most shots, 2nd most free kicks made (if that is something count as being physical and involved), 

He did, but pass completion was under/around 80%, which when you are making 101 passes in a game is not great. Dougs, for comparison was 92%. 

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Needs time to adapt,  he has a great eye for a pass, defence splitting at times. He's slow to turn and isn't that quick but he put effort in last night. 

We all need patience with these new players , they will take time to adapt. Doug has had very similar times in his time with us and look how he's developed over 3 seasons, he didn't start anywhere near the player he is now. Tielemans is a proven international, we need to give him time and the room to make mistakes.

Yes 100% agree. He's a good player and needs time to find his way. I'm sure he will come good. 

To me it looks like he has no ability for ball retention under any sort of pressure which is not good. He also laid off some really dreadful wayward passes.

But his inability to keep the ball under pressure was very frustrating to watch.

As OBE said, it was his best game in a Villa shirt but he was still rubbish. Or something like that

Just now, Indigo said:

Interesting. 

20231006_130210.jpg

Middle of the pitch, played all the game. 

The touches and passes attempted figures aren't surprising. 

His pass completion is quite improved but the opposition weren't exactly pressing us, so a lot of those stats will look better than they would in a normal game.

He's slow and so cant do what he did vs Zsinsjki in a PL game unless his confidence improves and he delivers more passes first time.

Hopefully playing the full game and last minute winner we got give him a bit of confidence and he can push on from here. He needs to.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's amazing how different we looked when Dougie came on. He really is my favourite player. Best CM since Barry and I really rated Barry. Milner in the mix but Barry was with us for ages and both reliable penalty takers 

Barry was just different class. 365 league games for us! Insane really.

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You watched though didn't you?

Do you think he played well?

I didn't post it as a gotcha to any criticisms, genuinely just thought it was interesting (assuming it's accurate) relative to some of the chat around the performance. Thought he played fine, did some good things but overall not particularly great either which is reflective of his time at Villa thus far. Have said it previously but I'm worried about his physicality/athleticism more so than anything else, he looks miles off it in that sense and I'm not sure how likely he is to go through some kind of transformation to make it significantly less of an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Why does he need time to settle exactly?

He's supposedly an international, lives in the local area and has over 100 appearances at prem league level.

It's not like he's moving here from Italy and trying to adapt to a new league or something...

I'm fed up of all the excuses especially when he cries about not being in the first eleven to the media but then when he's trusted by Unai to start he's shite and we drop out of cups because of it.

I knew he was crap and finished from what i saw of him at Leicester and was massively opposed to him signing.

He might have been free but will be nothing but a complete waste of wages for the remaining duration of his contract.

Not time to settle but he needs game time to get a rhythm/confidence going.

23 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Interesting. 

20231006_130210.jpg

It sort of backs up how he didn’t give up and kept wanting the ball. Could easily of shied away when things wernt going for him and dropped his head but he kept going. He wernt great but it shows character in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I didn't post it as a gotcha to any criticisms, genuinely just thought it was interesting (assuming it's accurate) relative to some of the chat around the performance. Thought he played fine, did some good things but overall not particularly great either which is reflective of his time at Villa thus far. Have said it previously but I'm worried about his physicality/athleticism more so than anything else, he looks miles off it in that sense and I'm not sure how likely he is to go through some kind of transformation to make it significantly less of an issue.

I'm concerned just how bad he is.

Very worrying.

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

He did, but pass completion was under/around 80%, which when you are making 101 passes in a game is not great. Dougs, for comparison was 92%. 

The number I saw eas arounf 84% if I remember correctly. Also disagree, a player trying to create will always have a lower passing percentsge than one thst plays it safe, passing percentage by it self counts for nothing.

Tielemans wasnt great that game but nowhere near the worst, shows a strong confirmation bias if people can single him out that game or critique him after that game imo

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

The number I saw eas arounf 84% if I remember correctly. Also disagree, a player trying to create will always have a lower passing percentsge than one thst plays it safe, passing percentage by it self counts for nothing.

Tielemans wasnt great that game but nowhere near the worst, shows a strong confirmation bias if people can single him out that game or critique him after that game imo

I'm not trying to be facetious here, but I would be curious to see who you thought our worst performer(s) was/were. 

8 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Dendoncker was absolutely worsr, hence he was taken of. I though Tielemans, like must, was average 

Yeah Donk wasn't great in fairness. I think I'd struggle to get past Youri as second worst though. Digne was quiet but defensively decent. Jhon was also quite quiet, and couldn't really handle the press, but him and Zani were outnumbered up front in the first half so that was always a big ask. Lenglet, Konsa, Emi, Bailey, Bertie, Ollie and Zani were decent. Mcginn, Cash, Doug, were our best performers.  

I wasn’t impressed by his signing, but I understand it. You can’t spend much on a player that you know will be a squad player. I don’t think Emery preferred him but he was free, with big experience and we need more reliable squad players. 
I don’t think he’s as bad as we think, but he’s definitely not Luiz quality so people don’t have to compare them. 
I hope he improves soon as we need everyone, all games are important that we can’t rest our starters which we have to.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â