The General FFP /PSR / SCR Financial Regs Thread

Marka Ragnos

30 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Isn’t the case against City starting soon, with the results to be revealed next Summer? (coinciding with Pep’s contract expiring so he be absolved of any blame/criticism 🧐)

Sadly due to the large amount of charges against City, this was never going to be expedited quickly, couple that with City’s failure to co-operate and deploying the best legal team their endless money can pay for to frustrate and delay proceedings. 

The likes of Forest, Everton and Leicester will have complied with the investigation, with a lot of the evidential material agreed upon prior to the hearing(s), hence they’ve been heard quicker. 

It’s wrong that it’s taken so long for the case against City to be heard but that is the nature of litigation, especially when one party will do everything to slow the process down.

Excellent post. City are obstructing at every possible step of the investigation. 

It's going to take long time, patience needed with this one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Ok and it is fair that it is being expanded if we keep these types of rules because of everything inflating.

However as someone pointed out already it isn't in this accounting period it is either for next season or I am pretty sure I read 25/26>

Secondly PSR squad cost rules are now at 80% for 24/25 and drop again the year after so its all a bit of a minefield.

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We don't have the money to compete with Man City and Newcastle if the rules are removed. We get blown out the water.

Probably Chelsea too

But we would have the money to compete with arsenal, spurs, man utd and Liverpool

Pick your poison...I think we'd be about the same position as we are now

Man city and Newcastle would run away with it but we could be top 4

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Probably Chelsea too

But we would have the money to compete with arsenal, spurs, man utd and Liverpool

Mmmm Chelsea owner is worth £6.1b, not sure Chelsea are better off than us in that respect. They have higher commercial income but that's got be under threat with the poor leadership they have. Like watching a slow car crash.

If all financial rules are gone from PL, I would expect clubs will be divided into 3 tiers.

Tier 1: State sponsored clubs, that do not care about profitability, only about PR and sports washing.

Tier 2: Rich owners, that have money to spend, but in the end of the day will try to make a profit.

Tier 3: Poor owners, that will run the club with the revenue that the club is generating.

If this happened tier 1 clubs will run away with the league every season, making PL less interesting. This would negatively impact TV deals and sponsorship contracts, especially for non tier 1 clubs. In the end the PL will be as interesting as the French League.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Ok and it is fair that it is being expanded if we keep these types of rules because of everything inflating.

However as someone pointed out already it isn't in this accounting period it is either for next season or I am pretty sure I read 25/26>

Secondly PSR squad cost rules are now at 80% for 24/25 and drop again the year after so its all a bit of a minefield.

General inflation in the UK has been 35% in last 10 years. I'd say football inflation in the period has been much higher. So it does make sense to raise it. Also it's the final year of PSR so it really means we just stop the PL having to take cases against clubs and it impacting the brand of the PL with more points deductions.

I think this really helps us a good deal because of the Jack money season rolls off at the end of 24/25 which now has a higher limit. Also 30m extra to spend helps smaller clubs more than bigger ones, like City spend nearly triple our entire club income so 30m over 3 years is drop in ocean for them but 30m for us is important. 

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

If all financial rules are gone from PL, I would expect clubs will be divided into 3 tiers.

Tier 1: State sponsored clubs, that do not care about profitability, only about PR and sports washing.

Tier 2: Rich owners, that have money to spend, but in the end of the day will try to make a profit.

Tier 3: Poor owners, that will run the club with the revenue that the club is generating.

If this happened tier 1 clubs will run away with the league every season, making PL less interesting. This would negatively impact TV deals and sponsorship contracts, especially for non tier 1 clubs. In the end the PL will be as interesting as the French League.

Tier 4: Clubs spend loads of money they don’t have and the owners load that debt into the clubs not themselves and they potentially go under. It’s why the rules came in to stop another Leeds/Portsmouth. Still happens now just look at Everton but there is an element of control supposed to be there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Totally Disagree. We will be very competitive ourselves. Maybe it will open the league up more?

No he is right. We are wealthy but newcastle  can go spend 600m a season and wipe the floor with everyone. City can do the same.

Every year you will have those two fighting for title and no one else gets near. With FFP at one point we were looking like title contenders. Thats never happening if teams can spend what they like.

Add chelsea in the mix too then it really does become even more difficult- it was absolutely **** chaos. Players being being paid stupid wages players going for 80m 100m it would absolutely kill the game

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No he is right. We are wealthy but newcastle  can go spend 600m a season and wipe the floor with everyone. City can do the same.

Every year you will have those two fighting for title and no one else gets near. With FFP at one point we were looking like title contenders. Thats never happening if teams can spend what they like.

Add chelsea in the mix too then it really does become even more difficult- it was absolutely **** chaos. Players being being paid stupid wages players going for 80m 100m it would absolutely kill the game

as opposed to now where 6 clubs have double the revenue of everyone else and in theory if they ran themselves with any kind of competency would be ahead of everyone?

• Like 1

Even without FFP restrictions, those owners would get bored and bugger off to a Super League eventually. FFP isn’t perfect. But it would wreck English football even further, you’d have even bigger gaps between the leagues and the risk of the lower leagues being raided for young talent would have terrible knock on effects. The PL could intervene and help protect other teams in the footballing pyramid but still does not in a meaningful way. Imagine a club like Bournemouth suddenly spending more than many teams across Europe. It shows the absolute disparity in wealth the league has. There needs to be checks and balances somewhere. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

as opposed to now where 6 clubs have double the revenue of everyone else and in theory if they ran themselves with any kind of competency would be ahead of everyone?

Thats a big if though isnt it?

What makes you think as well this wont open the doors for UAE, KUWAIT or any other wealthier state coming in and buying a spurs or a brighton. They we fall even further behind.

At least clubs are being sensible with their spending with FFP it would be chaos if clubs were allowed to spend what they want. A gallagher would cost 80-90m - and chelsea qouldnt need to sell anyway bwcause they wouldnt have FFP to worry about.

Uping the losses is best way forward 

Posted (edited)

Ultimately, a Premier League without FFP I fear, would create a de-facto Super League within itself, not just in England but Europe also. The money is already so vast (and only getting bigger) hence why the likes of Red Bull are pumping money into Leeds. They need that PL exposure. It would be terrible for football in general. 

Edited by The_Steve

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats a big if though isnt it?

What makes you think as well this wont open the doors for UAE, KUWAIT or any other wealthier state coming in and buying a spurs or a brighton. They we fall even further behind.

At least clubs are being sensible with their spending with FFP it would be chaos if clubs were allowed to spend what they want. A gallagher would cost 80-90m - and chelsea qouldnt need to sell anyway bwcause they wouldnt have FFP to worry about.

Uping the losses is best way forward 

The best way forward would be to not have competitions and prize money that generate huge disparities in turnover 

You can have rules that cap spending, you can have rules that prevents player hoarding, they can have rules that stops player flipping and endless loans

What you can't have are rules that link spending to revenue and losses when the club at the top generate 6x the revenue of the club at the bottom with 25% of that coming from competitions

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I feel the soft salary cap is the real path forward in the future. To keep the gap in spending between top and bottom clubs in the league in a range that keeps competition. The PL product needs this.

I agree with the soft salary cap and a luxury tax.

It doesn't matter if Man City can spend 150mil on a transfer if their wage bill is capped to the point where they can't attract a 150mil player without having to pay the rest of the teams in the league an exorbitant amount.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The best way forward would be to not have competitions and prize money that generate huge disparities in turnover 

You can have rules that cap spending, you can have rules that prevents player hoarding, they can have rules that stops player flipping and endless loans

What you can't have are rules that link spending to revenue and losses when the club at the top generate 6x the revenue of the club at the bottom with 25% of that coming from competitions

Yeah i do agree with alot of that. But j still think if you allow clubs to spend what they like it would be pure carnage 

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i do agree with alot of that. But j still think if you allow clubs to spend what they like it would be pure carnage 

if they scrap the spending then they will need to introduce more rules and caps on agent fees, wages, loans, squad sizes, feeder clubs etc etc 

they should be looking at a couple of those things regardless

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Probably Chelsea too

Man City owners are worth  23 billion I think, our three sets of owners are worth 17 / 18 billion. Surely that’s not too much of a gap to compete? Obviously, Newcastle is a different egg.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

if they scrap the spending then they will need to introduce more rules and caps on agent fees, wages, loans, squad sizes, feeder clubs etc etc 

they should be looking at a couple of those things regardless

Wont happen. The agent fees for example there is no chance they agree on that.

I do agree it needs to be done byt cant s ee it

8 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Totally Disagree. We will be very competitive ourselves. Maybe it will open the league up more?

Yeah we've also got backing from the likes of Aitoros, there is no reasons other huge investors wouldn't be interested in pumping money into us with relaxed rules as well.

We are prime and healthy property both on and off the pitch as far as a football business goes imo.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â