Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Interesting reading Eric Dier say Postecoglu doesn't really do tactical work, and Ange himself all but confirming that saying they don't do work on how to stop the opposition etc. It's all about how their style of football works on the day basically.

Kind of gives me hope as I feel that would lead to the inconsistencies we've been seeing from them all season. I don't see them pulling off the tactical masterclass Emery did at the Emirates for example. That was a tailored plan specifically for that one game. They'll be approaching their games against Arsenal and City and Liverpool the same way they did against Fulham and Newcastle. It could work, it could not.

If I were to back any manager to grind out the 10 points needed to get top 4 with Spurs fixture list, it's definitely Emery. Turns out Emery's fixture list is easier as it stands. Quietly optimistic.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I get your logic but i think that if we get to the semi final then you can smell that trophy . Would you be happy us playing a weakened team because we had a Prem game 3 days after that could guarantee us top 4 ?  It’s a difficult one but i would go trophy first every time. Especially as next season will be even harder to compete in the top 6 . 

Obviously football is never this black and white - but yeah, I was absolutely sure that it was the only way we could qualify for the CL, I’d name a weakened team in the semi final or even the final.

It’d be hugely disappointing in the short term but I think it’d pay off for the club in the long run.

Also - I’m not sure it will necessarily be harder to compete in the league next season if we keep hold of our best players and can use the CL to attract a few upgrades. We’re a good team these days and presumably there’s a decent chance top 5 get CL next year as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alakagom said:

City going out isn't th end of the world, it's Arsenal beating Bayern that is critical 

We’ll it is, you can’t get points for your co-efficient if you’re knocked out.

Remember last day of last season we were hoping for Leeds who was fighting relegation to beat spurs at home, and relying on 115 to do their thing and beat Brentford. It feels the same now we just have to do with what's in front of us.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We’ll it is, you can’t get points for your co-efficient if you’re knocked out.

Well yea no shit, point is if Arsenal goes through with Bayern out it still will lean for England to get 2nd even if City lose. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Just need to concentrate on ourselves. Would’ve been nice to have a comfort blanket. Silver lining  they’ll be a lower level opposition to play against in the CL next season 😉

In reverse it could push us to try and make sure we get fourth, meaning we keep our foot on the pedal for the rest of the season.

I have slightly wondered if say, we got one more win, and it looked like 5th is guaranteed, some subconscious complacency could creep in.

Us being the final qualifiers would be ideal for a few reasons!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Well yea no shit, point is if Arsenal goes through with Bayern out it still will lean for England to get 2nd even if City lose. 

How would it lean towards England? Arsenal and hopefully us the last English teams, with Dortmund and Leverkusen for Germany. That’s 50:50 at best.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

If Arsenal win ManC loses, we get 0.375 coefficient points. Double that if both wins. 
In the semi-finals if ManC loses, it would be Arsenal vs Real Madrid, not sure Arsenal would get many points. If both wins, we get 0.625 coefficient points from the semifinals.

If both wins, I think England chances to get an extra CL place are good, if only Arsenal win, it will be a miracle if England get the xtra CL place. 

• Like 3