Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, markavfc40 said:

The game against Man Utd next week is going to have plenty riding on it. A win/defeat could well be the difference between being 11 points above them or 5. 

See tonight they actually probably put in their best performance of the season as they should've been 5 up at half time and their big names at the back played well.

However once the concede it goes to complete panic stations at the back and they got away with it big time with all the defensive subs Ten Hag made.

The model to beat them is low block and expose them on set pieces. We did exactly that in the first half at Old Trafford. What you don't do is give Garnarcho and Rashford 10-15 yards of space to run into which we did second half.

Depends what Unai wants to do but this is crucial game now where we need to play a little more strategically. 

• Like 1

Man Utd are supposedly terrible. Yet could overtake us if the next 3 games don't go well. Really don't want that to happen. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

36 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We absolutely have to beat them or they will catch us. I have no doubt whatsoever about that 

A draw will be fine.

I seem to be in the minority but I fully expect us to beat Sheffield United this weekend. Do that and it will remain a minimum gap of 8 points plus a far superior GD so that wouldn't be too bad at all with a third of the season left.

Villa haven’t done enough in the January window to secure a CL place. Squad is too weak to sustain top five while also playing in Europe.

Think Man U will overtake Villa as they are getting their better players back from injury and I can’t see Villa finishing ahead of Spurs either.

Could also miss out on European football altogether.

Presently I have Villa finishing 7th-8th.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

Villa haven’t done enough in the January window to secure a CL place. Squad is too weak to sustain top five while also playing in Europe.

Think Man U will overtake Villa as they are getting their better players back from injury and I can’t see Villa finishing ahead of Spurs either.

Doom and Gloom post

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Oh my god you’re so negative!! We’re more likely to win the league than finish as low as 8th. 

Edited by Tayls

I predicted us to get 2 points in January and we only managed 1. 

I think we will draw the next 2 games which will then hopefully signal the end of our slump and we can go on a winning run to that 5th placed finish we desperately need.

Well that midweek of football was toilet. The 4 above us all win, the 3 below all gained on us while we lose our proud year-long unbeaten home record, dropping out the top 4 in the process. Seemed like just yesterday we were going into a home fixture against bottom of the league, looking for a 16th straight home win to go top of the league 😩 

We need a resounding performance and win against that same side now to get back on track.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, striker said:

Why don't you understand, and/or refuse to acknowledge FFP?

• Like 1

Next 2 games are so crucial now. We need some momentum. But playing Sheff Utd doesn't fill me with confidence, they will just play like they did last time, we have no answer for it... then Man Ure. Watch them play like a prime Brazil again, while we just sit back in awe... 

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They have been yoyo team all season. 

Still they have the experience and no European football to close an 8 point gap in us. It's critical we beat them at VP

5 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I predicted us to get 2 points in January and we only managed 1. 

I think we will draw the next 2 games which will then hopefully signal the end of our slump and we can go on a winning run to that 5th placed finish we desperately need.

What logic have you to say we won’t beat shef utd on Sat?  We battered them before Christmas and were shafted by VAR.

• Like 1