Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

:(

If they can't fire themselves up for a game like this, what's **** wrong with them.

What do you mean game like this?

They're supposed to be up for every game.

Don't see this game being more significant than the Sheffield United or the Everton game

Just now, PaulC said:

Tottenham have the stronger squad and should really finish above us. We need to get thst spark back to get 4th but 5th is very much on 

They also strengthened in the window.

We can't do it unless we sell because of FFP.

As much of a pisser it is, would have been hard to maintain our blistering start with the strength and depth of our squad, or lack or. Especially with the injuries, target realistically was 5/6th we need to ride this rough patch and get back to some form. Be thankful for the start we had and the points we got on the board. We’re in a rut, this is where Unai and the team have to do some managing!

• Like 1

Unai has had us punching above our weight for over a year. We are no way a top 4 squad but he has kept us up there for ages. The fact that we are still in the top 4 at this stage is incredible. I don’t think we will get CL but if anyone can make it happen, it’s the Sultan. We need to turn it around quickly though. The last month has been way below par.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

:(

If they can't fire themselves up for a game like this, what's **** wrong with them.

I still think that's why Newcastle did it last year, they were seemingly always on it 

Our biggest danger is we're going to lose that buzz, nerves will kick in, confidence will go, belief will go

VP was flatter than a witches tit too, straight from the kick off so performance wasn't an excuse 

8 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Unai has had us punching above our weight for over a year. We are no way a top 4 squad but he has kept us up there for ages. The fact that we are still in the top 4 at this stage is incredible. I don’t think we will get CL but if anyone can make it happen, it’s the Sultan. We need to turn it around quickly though. The last month has been way below par.

Newcastle didn't have a top 4 squad last season either but still did it. 

Just now, Leeroy said:

Newcastle didn't have a top 4 squad last season either but still did it. 

That’s true. That should give us a bit of hope. Still plenty to play for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Arsenal wasn't a good performance. We were lucky to win that day. 

I disagree. I thought we played pretty well.

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

5th would still be massive, would be progress on a very good season last season. 

Tonight was bad, we lost to a side with a poor away record, but they're still a good team and we are in a horrid slump. 

Form is like this, back before Christmas it was hard to imagine us losing, now it's hard to imagine us ever playing well. But it will end sooner or later, just as the good form did. 

Yep things can change quickly. Sheff Utd up next is a big opportunity to try and get back on track. It's worth remembering that we've had times even under Unai things haven't looked great like the start to 2023 losing to Stevenage and a struggling Leicester. Then we went on an incredible run.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I disagree. I thought we played pretty well.

Thy missed a lot of chances and we were hanging on for a lot of the game. We did a number on them but I don't really think we played well. 

I'd say our last great performance over 90 minutes was Man City where it was one of the best performances I've ever seen from us. It seems like the team are living off that performance because we haven't got close to that level since. Which is sad because after that game I was ultra confident we were gonna get top 4, win a trophy and have a special season. 

I know after the first half of the season we've had it feels disappointing, but 6th is really a wonderful achievement and will carry us forward to next season.

21 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I think 5th is the best we're getting and if we do it will still be a big achievement but obviously could be seen as a missed opportunity too.

This is the problem for me, when people keep saying no need for the meltdown. Yes we may have done our best in years, but what a huge missed opportunity to do better.

If we just won that game and hadn't drawn to the shit, i.e Sheffield, Everton, we would be top of the league now. Not a big ask really considering our previous form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spurs will win their next two so we've created unnecessary problems from a very comfortable mid season position.

Pressure on in Sheffield, we need to win that and win it reasonably well as there are loads of doubts in the players minds now.

I think anything below 4th will still be a disappointment given just over a month ago if we'd beaten Sheffield United we'd have been top and about 10 points clear of Spurs in 5th. 

5th will be fine but still a missed opportunity which often happens at this club. We always seem to fall away in the 2nd half of the season which is just really very irritating. It's why we are never taken seriously by pundits because we often bottle it at the business end of the season. I don't think that's anything to do with squad or lack of talent, we've got a quality team, it's just the mentality of the club.

We'll see how the next few games go but it's certainly not looking good going off recent games. 

• Like 1