Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

16 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Man united Newcastle and Chelsea are a touch above mid table as an average.

69 points is a pretty disappointing outcome from here 

Noo we can’t rule those 3 out yet I don’t think. As annoying as that may be. 
Whats a good season then? One more win? 72 points?

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Top 4 will need about 70 points give or take.

Newcastle are not getting to 70 points, they need 41 more points to get to 70, that's the equivalent of 14 wins from their remaining 17 games 🤣

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Top 4 will need about 70 points give or take.

Newcastle are not getting to 70 points, they need 41 more points to get to 70, that's the equivalent of 14 wins from their remaining 17 games 🤣

The not being able to rule them out thing was meant for them being capable of coming to VP and beating us. They’re still a decent side. 

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

The not being able to rule them out thing was meant for them being capable of coming to VP and beating us. They’re still a decent side. 

They have one of the worst away records in the league. What % of games are you confident in us winning in a 38 game season?

12 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think as @TRO has pointed out earlier, there is a minimum defense needed to qualify for UCL usually. 

They are entertaining and it will be interesting to see if they can break the mold and qualify for UCL while having the 5th worst xGA in the league. 

Spurs defence was much better when Van de Ven was fit at the start of the season. His pace covered for their high line.

It will be interesting to see if they tighten up again now he’s back or if it takes a while for him to trust the hamstring again. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Spurs defence was much better when Van de Ven was fit at the start of the season. His pace covered for their high line.

It will be interesting to see if they tighten up again now he’s back or if it takes a while for him to trust the hamstring again. 

Hope he develops a Bailey-esque level of concern for that hammy.

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Yeah I think people flat out ruling some of those clubs are being arrogant to be honest.

There's near a full half season to go and teams are picking up form, where's as others may fall off.

A few teams could easily go on winning runs.

The positive is that, even though we have been going through our " rough patch", we picked up alot of points early which may offset this.

If we can now come through it, have players back and some come into form to help replicate our early season form we are great.

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Based on home form and Emery near 2pts per game so far dropping to 1.5 in your prediction this is quite negative

hopefully we can keep the 2 PPG up over the rest of the season.

However, recent form has been sketchy tbh, over the last 5 PL games we are averaging 1.6 PPG.

i know its a small sample, but 5 games is 24% of the season so far, so for the last quarter of the season played to this point, we are at 1.6 PPG.

I dunno, i feel like teams are playing to stifle us now, and we are struggling to deal with it, im not questioning Emery, but its a simple fact that many teams are now playing to frustrate us, and unless we figure out a way to deal with it, it might make the 2 PPG avg a bit more difficult to achieve.

we will see i guess.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

hopefully we can keep the 2 PPG up over the rest of the season.

However, recent form has been sketchy tbh, over the last 5 PL games we are averaging 1.6 PPG.

i know its a small sample, but 5 games is 24% of the season so far, so for the last quarter of the season played to this point, we are at 1.6 PPG.

I dunno, i feel like teams are playing to stifle us now, and we are struggling to deal with it, im not questioning Emery, but its a simple fact that many teams are now playing to frustrate us, and unless we figure out a way to deal with it, it might make the 2 PPG avg a bit more difficult to achieve.

we will see i guess.

Yeah but we didn’t have Kamara for three of those, one without Dougie, then injuries to Torres, Moreno, Digne, Ramsey, Tielemans to name off the top of my head.  

Every club has injuries of course but most of those will be back for the next game.  We had a rough patch, down with key players but a break and main players back for second half of the season hopefully puts us back to 2 ppg.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Torres back is essential

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I think people flat out ruling some of those clubs are being arrogant to be honest.

There's near a full half season to go and teams are picking up form, where's as others may fall off.

A few teams could easily go on winning runs.

The positive is that, even though we have been going through our " rough patch", we picked up alot of points early which may offset this.

If we can now come through it, have players back and some come into form to help replicate our early season form we are great.

I'm usually somebody who is cautious when it comes to predicting where Villa are going to finish. I was adamant Villa wouldn't get into Europe when we were stuck in 11th last season for ages and I thought there was too much of a gap to make up to Spurs. Granted it took us to go on a 10 match unbeaten run, winning 8 to get us into a position to challenge for it towards the end of the season but it took a big drop off from Spurs to allow us to get there when they sacked Conte. 

Man Utd are 11 points behind, Chelsea 12 points behind and Newcastle are 14 points behind. It would take a big, big drop off from us and any of those three would probably need to show title winning form if they are going to finish in the top 4 this season. I'm not saying it can't happen, it could happen but none of those three have shown any signs of being able to put a run together after 20 games so far this season. We have also got all three to play at Villa Park.

We've dropped off slightly in our attack since the Man City game I think, adapting to teams treating us with respect and playing a low block but over a 38 game season this is going to happen. We have only lost one game during this "iffy" spell. 

As it stands the lowest I think Villa will finish is 5th. Brighton and West Ham will have the same issue as us come March with Europe but I think it's between us and Spurs for 4th. Spurs have done better then I thought to still be 3 points behind us without Maddison, Son, Sarr, Bissouma, Kulusevsk. I'm sure if they are still within 3 points of us when they get all those players back over the next month then they will probably fancy 4th especially if they go out the FA Cup to Man City and have no distractions. It's going to be an exciting second half of the season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Spurs leak goals like a sieve. It's so funny that people assume they will automatically take fourth. It’s still in our hands to finish there. 

And all the squad they have will the Bielsa ball take affect towards end of season like happened to Leeds

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Only 4 clean sheets in 12 games when he's played, it isn't that great.  Spurs also have 5th highest xG against, they've conceded less than they should have because of Vicario.  Can they keep that up all season?

Edited by duke313
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’re still 5th in the form table so it’s not as bad as some are making out. But the worrying thing is Spurs are top. I think we end up finishing 5th and qualify that way.

I assume Arsenal are bottom half of the form table. I still think we’ll be Top4 purely because we’ll get the points we need and either Arsenal or Spurs or both won’t.