Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

I'll take as favorable opponent as possible thanks. Playing important games in the middle of summer and at the very start of the season is always a gamble. Emery is a European cup master and some of our players have experience but a lot of them don't and the club in it's current iteration is a novice at it.

Give me Real Keflavik, Borussia Dundalk or similar rather than one of those perennial group stage clubs from the medium quality leagues. Honestly wouldn't even face Hammarby from Sweden on their plastic pitch, due to injury risk but still.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sne said:

I'll take as favorable opponent as possible thanks. Playing important games in the middle of summer and at the very start of the season is always a gamble. Emery is a European cup master and some of our players have experience but a lot of them don't and the club in it's current iteration is a novice at it.

Give me Real Keflavik, Borussia Dundalk or similar rather than one of those perennial group stage clubs from the medium quality leagues. Honestly wouldn't even face Hammarby from Sweden on their plastic pitch, due to injury risk but still.

100%...especially if next thursday draws us a tough start to the league. we don't want to be facing juve, utd and city all in the space of 8 days

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

100%...especially if next thursday draws us a tough start to the league. we don't want to be facing juve, utd and city all in the space of 8 days

They don't want to play us! I would rather lose to good opponents than bad too. 😆

2 hours ago, picicata said:

I guarantee if we end up unseeded that we will be the team all the seeded teams hope they don't get

We're one of the 20 wealthiest clubs in world football. We are strengthening a team who were top 4 in PPG under Emery. We have a coach renowned for his knock out football.

I think if teams could pick from the entire list. It would be Juve and Villa that nobody wants to play in that order. 

• Like 1

Notice our neighbours calling this the Papa John's Conference and claiming it is not a major trophy and doesn't count if we win it.

Saying its nowhere near as big as the Carabao Cup.

Whilst that's clearly bollocks, West Ham winning it has definitely taken the shine off it a bit. Let's just make sure we use it a stepping stone to get into the Europa League next year.

As an aside, the teams in it look a fair bit harder than West Ham got to face. Some big clubs in it this year. Although we should still be 4th/5th favourites or so.

Juventus must be avoided at all costs. Especially early on. They aren't the 7th best team in Italy, they are only there because of a points deduction. They are a top CL side in reality and should be massive favourites to win the tournament.

Hoping for Kazakhstan or Israel, as they are the only countries I've yet to visit out of the teams who've qualified. 

Edited by GlobalVillan

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Can anyone explain why they are playing and what they're playing for? The Danish league setup is making no sense to me.

Does a draw do anything for us?

It’s all over now so of no concern to us but I still fail to understand why the club who came 3rd in the Danish Superliga were playing the one that came 8th for a place in the Conference League. What did nos. 4-7 do wrong?

33 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Notice our neighbours calling this the Papa John's Conference and claiming it is not a major trophy and doesn't count if we win it.

Whilst that's clearly bollocks, West Ham winning it has definitely taken the shine off it a bit. Let's just make sure we use it a stepping stone to get into the Europa League next year.

As an aside, the teams in it look a fair bit harder than West Ham got to face. Some bug clubs in it this year. Although we should still be 4th/5th favourites or so.

Juventus must be avoided at all costs. Especially early on. They aren't the 7th best team in Italy, they are only there because of a points deduction. They are a top CL side in reality and should be massive favourites to win the tournament.

Hoping for Kazakhstan or Israel, as they are the only countries I've yet to visit out of the teams who've qualified. 

At least Grasshoppr Club Zurich didn’t make the cut. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

It’s all over now so of no concern to us but I still fail to understand why the club who came 3rd in the Danish Superliga were playing the one that came 8th for a place in the Conference League. What did nos. 4-7 do wrong?

Yeah, I couldn't figure out out either. Viborg won the relegation league or something... not sure what that means. And they play 3rd place in the Premier league equivalent 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

As an aside, the teams in it look a fair bit harder than West Ham got to face. Some big clubs in it this year. Although we should still be 4th/5th favourites or so.

whether it's SHA or anyone else calling it a nothing cup, they're all kidding themselves if they think they wouldn't be absolutely buzzing just to be in the thing let alone win it.

even those on here that have been playing it down i'm sure will jump on the bandwagon if/when we get to the latter stages

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whether it's SHA or anyone else calling it a nothing cup, they're all kidding themselves if they think they wouldn't be absolutely buzzing just to be in the thing let alone win it.

even those on here that have been playing it down i'm sure will jump on the bandwagon if/when we get to the latter stages

Absolutely. The only trophy we can realistically win each season is the Carabao Cup and Man City have even won that 4 times in a row until recently.

It doesn't help that we pull put of the FA Cup in round 3 every year, but I suppose it saves us from an inevitable defeat to one of the Manchesters later in the tournament.

Therefore, this is a genuine chance to win a trophy as well as travel around Europe and watch a lot more midweek Villa games.

There's no downside at all. It's gonna be fun. They still bang on a out taking 200,000+ to the Leyland Daf for goodness sake. But playing in a tournament with the likes of Juventus and Frankfurt is tinpot?

Righty oh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

They would though wouldn't they, but they would bite your hand off if you offered it to them. They are just jealous of us (yet again) and that's exactly as it should be.  

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We're one of the 20 wealthiest clubs in world football. We are strengthening a team who were top 4 in PPG under Emery. We have a coach renowned for his knock out football.

I think if teams could pick from the entire list. It would be Juve and Villa that nobody wants to play in that order. 

Juventus yes. I think we would probably be alongside Eintracht Frankfurt, AZ, Lille, Fenerbahçe, Club Brugge, Gent and Dynamo Kyiv as a group of teams the rest would rather avoid (we may still be a little under the radar to an extent on the continent). I suspect that the bookies will start with Juventus as favourites, with Eintracht or ourselves as second favourites.  I won't be betting against us. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Think it is cause they split the league halfway like in Scotland. So they give the "winner" of the lower half or 8th in fact something to play for.

• Like 1

Looking at those seeds, I'd want us to avoid Juve, Frankfurt, AZ, Fenerbahce (purely for the difficult away trip), and Lille.

Id back us against anyone else there tbh. I think we'd do AZ and Fenerbahce over 2 legs, but there are easier ties there

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Yeah, I couldn't figure out out either. Viborg won the relegation league or something... not sure what that means. And they play 3rd place in the Premier league equivalent 🤷‍♂️

🤦‍♂️

Edited by briny_ear