Midweek Football 22/25 May

andykeenan

leicester going for it would be getting wiped out; but  playing cautious and trying to get one on the break was the pragmatically smarter play, a percentage play really for the final day. And it almost worked with that very late chance. Gutting it didn't go in. Confirms the murderers get their CL money though

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

I don't think Smith's big mistake was how he approached this game - it was taking the job in the first place. He'd be much better off managing a Championship side on the up who've just lost a good manager to a bigger club. Needs to stop taking these jobs with clubs that are in a mess, and where he doesn't have much time to turn things around before relegation.

Of course if by some miracle he does keep them up, it's a genius move, and he gets a summer to sort things out with a decent enough budget. But most likely he'll regret it IMO.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I agree, I think the West Ham game is very winnable, lots of players not wanting to get injured before likely  their best ever chance of European silverware. 

They won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1965. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

They won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1965. 

And the World Cup twelve months later!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yep he should have went gung ho away at the team 3rd in the table with the worst centre back in league history holding the fort

Newcastle would have put 5/6 past them

Yeah having a little of attacking play/intent involves "gung ho" 

Some of your posts 😂

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

If they’d lost, a Leeds win on last day would have sent them down regardless of their result. Now it’s only Everton who can send them down if they win v West Ham.

It’s not a great result, but it’s definitely better than a loss.

Newcastle did not look good yesterday they look quite fatigued. Leicester only had 5 mins of attacking play and that was right at the end and Newcastle struggled. I think it was a massive missed opportunity for them. 

Now they are as good as down

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

That Leicester keeper is a clown, I think I would take Olsen over him. Leicester have scored the same number of goals as us this season yet are second bottom. 

Time wasting when Deano wanted them to attack and then booting the ball straight out of touch kicking from his hands was pretty special.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, duke313 said:

They must have had some team then to win the World Cup the following year.

It’s something West Ham fans used to say “we won the world cup” as the core of players for England came from West Ham.

58 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Time wasting when Deano wanted them to attack and then booting the ball straight out of touch kicking from his hands was pretty special.

He’s a proper heart on mouth keeper, he must put all their defenders on edge. 

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s a proper heart on mouth keeper, he must put all their defenders on edge. 

It’s an interesting tactic, keeps the defenders alert at all times. Danger could come at any moment, even when the keeper is in possession and able to pick up the ball.

Good luck to them.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don't think Smith's big mistake was how he approached this game - it was taking the job in the first place. He'd be much better off managing a Championship side on the up who've just lost a good manager to a bigger club. Needs to stop taking these jobs with clubs that are in a mess, and where he doesn't have much time to turn things around before relegation.

Of course if by some miracle he does keep them up, it's a genius move, and he gets a summer to sort things out with a decent enough budget. But most likely he'll regret it IMO.

I don't think he has much choice what jobs he takes, I doubt many clubs would be queuing up to get him. He should probably just retire now, he's made his money. 

Have to ask, is anyone else tired of Pep Guardiola's patronising praise for his counterparts all the time in build-ups to matches. Maybe it's part of his mental preparation, but it makes me long for just some acid-tongued manager who has nothing good to say about the opposition.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Have to ask, is anyone else tired of Pep Guardiola's patronising praise for his counterparts all the time in build-ups to matches. Maybe it's part of his mental preparation, but it makes me long for just some acid-tongued manager who has nothing good to say about the opposition.

Everything Pep says is tiresome...

Wouldn't mind Allardyce coming out with a Joe Kinnear style rant after Leeds get relegated despite winning,  and Dyche keeps Everton up at their expense then says something about being the real surivival master.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes, it's annoying when he does it to a team that City then batter 6-0.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â