Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

He's doing a good job but it's no coincidence everything has moved up a level since Unai took over. I really hope he stays for a long, long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

And completely made up. “Brand value” is an opinion.

While I am skeptical of the numbers, there is this:

Goodwill=Purchase PriceFair Value of Net Identifiable Assets

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Doing a better job than Purslow though it appears.

Purslow was CEO in the Championship, a relegation battle, a COVID season and then got bounced.

How on earth can you compare that to Heck?

The obsession is bat, shit, kray.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

This video is absolutely bonkers though 😂 

What did I just watch? Was it a Little Britain sketch or something?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Chris Heck! Hell of a job he's doing

Unai Emery and Xavi Alonso, heck of a job their doing. Brand value driven almost entirely by sporting performance in this industry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Purslow was CEO in the Championship, a relegation battle, a COVID season and then got bounced.

How on earth can you compare that to Heck?

The obsession is bat, shit, kray.

I'm not obsessed with anything, I think Purslow did a good job, wind your neck in dude. Heck is just getting deals beyond expectations at this point, Purslow was doing about as well as I would have hoped.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not obsessed with anything, I think Purslow did a good job, wind your neck in dude. Heck is just getting deals beyond expectations at this point, Purslow was doing about as well as I would have hoped.

Apologies buddy.

I thought I was being coerced into another Purslow v Everyone else debate. Misinterpreted, absolutely my bad.

UTV.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

The above doesn’t really help.

It’s used for company acquisitions. So when Mars bought Hotel Chocolat, Hotel Chocolat was worth £x per its Net Assets (cash, debtors, etc. less its liabilities) but Mars paid more (£y). The difference between these two is the goodwill or ‘brand value’. It’s what an interested third party deem the brand is worth in monetary value, as they’re overpaying vs. it’s actual net asset value.

But as they’re talking about the “brand value” of Aston Villa - an entity no one is trying to buy / bidding for, they are just pulling made up numbers.

17 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

they’re talking about the “brand value” of Aston Villa

Well, I don't know who "they" are or how they measured brand value. Essentially, I am agreeing with you. The fair value could be estimated. How the value (perceived) of the Villa franchise could be measured is a bit more tricky. If we had Villa shares, it would be a bit more obvious. "Brand Value" is sort of self-explanatory. Goodwill is not a term the average person would use in a fiscal sense.

edit

We could look at what similar clubs have been sold for ... inflation and all the rest.

Edited by fruitvilla

9 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Wonder how much this club is worth right now ? What did Wes & Edens buy us for £60 £70 million ? 

They bought it for £60, but since then they had to put in over £500m of their own money to keep us afloat.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

They bought it for £60, but since then they had to put in over £500m of their own money to keep us afloat.

Yet they make most of that if not more when/if the time times becauae of the fantastic job they have done at this club

I'm not bashing Heck,  but giving him credit for our revenue growth over the last 4 years is mental.

AC Milan went off the back of 7 years not finishing above 6th. In 2021 they finished 2nd, then 1st, then 4th then last season 2nd.

We, went from narrowly avoiding relegation in 2020, before consecutive years of improvement ( half of those under Smith and Purslow), qualifying for the champions league for the first time ever last season.

Leverkusen admittedly didn't change much between pre-2020 and 2023, but they did win the league for the first time ever in their history last season. I bet most of their value increase has come from the last year.

Also bear in mind the mega inflation going on in the industry, increased prize money, the fact 2020 was a covid hit season, and it's kind of painting a picture that none of this was Heck's doing.

But hey, I'm a hater so don't listen to me.

I will say, great job Heck on the JD deal. That's the kind of thing I can get behind,  as it's clear merchandising is something we've been even more crap than our league position has reflected for decades. Fanatics could and should have been binned off years ago. Nice one Heck! Global distribution with a massive company, and hopefully a nice little earner for us too.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Goodwill being a bit of a personal opinion? “Fair” value, ditto. It’s fine, it’s an opinion.The wider angle may be that because the team has performed better, the results have been better, The image is better, and therefore the perceived brand value is greater. How much of this is due to Heck is debatable. He’s part of the progress and that’s good.

He’s still a fish out of water, it’s still seems like he wants to be loved and knows he isn’t, but the example of the kit announcement tweet kind of suggest that he’s aware of the feeling that he’s a bit of a contentious person who doesn’t quite get English football and is trying too hard to adapt his communications to rectify that perception.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Goodwill being a bit of a personal opinion?

Up to a point. In a public company the the purchase price would be the the share price times the number of shares. For a privately held company, there are no shares, so the purchase price is a bit of a guess. Unless in our case the Villa is sold. The fair value would be a net present value (NPV). ie projected future earnings, the value of the staff/contracts, physical assets, etc. It is a bit of a dismal science as the saying goes. In company financial statements goodwill can be a line item. Coca-Cola's goodwill for fiscal years ending December 2019 to 2023 averaged 18 billion.

Of course, Heck, Monchi, Emery, the players, and all of the staff including Doris have a value. None of them are isolated participants in the financial calculus

4 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Up to a point. In a public company the the purchase price would be the the share price times the number of shares. For a privately held company, there are no shares, so the purchase price is a bit of a guess. Unless in our case the Villa is sold. The fair value would be a net present value (NPV). ie projected future earnings, the value of the staff/contracts, physical assets, etc. It is a bit of a dismal science as the saying goes. In company financial statements goodwill can be a line item. Coca-Cola's goodwill for fiscal years ending December 2019 to 2023 averaged 18 billion.

Of course, Heck, Monchi, Emery, the players, and all of the staff including Doris have a value. None of them are isolated participants in the financial calculus

The tweet shows data selected from an annual report written by these people https://brandirectory.com. It’s not just about purchase prices or share values. It describes Leverkusen’s brand value as being boosted by “an unbeaten season, setting a European record with 51 consecutive unbeaten games. These accomplishments have significantly contributed to the club’s brand image and perceptions, underscored by its strong scores for having passionate fans, being ambitious, and playing exciting and entertaining football”.

Villa will have benefited from, to an extent, similar aspects. I’m not sure that Chris Heck himself would claim credit for those things. He’s done well, by all accounts (pun intended) on revenue raising and commercial deals and stuff. He’s clearly good at that sort of thing. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â