Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

He was offered another post in a reduced role which he didn’t want take up . That role was a downgrade from his role as CEO as NSWE decided rightfully to go down a new route. 

I suspect that was always for show.

I'm not sure what the point you're making on the effect success has on deals is - Mr Purslow made big deals in very successful clubs, Mr Heck doesn't quite have that level of success to work with as yet and financially at least up until now, the deals he's made have been slightly underwhelming. It would certainly be true that neither of them would have been able to do much with Stockport County.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You've mentioned this before in terms of Mr Purslow being downgraded - he wasn't, he was moved on. The owners then (correctly imo) restructured to ensure that football people were making football decisions (Including on transfers and negotiations) and non-football people were concentrating on business. Bringing in Monchi was a very sensible idea and removing any interference in the football itself from the position they then offered Heck was also sensible - horses for courses and round pegs in round holes - but Mr Purslow wasn't downgraded, the re-structure happened as a part of him being moved on.

I think we can appreciate that the direction of travel is being set by NSWE, but there's certainly scope under that for concerns over the way in which that's being administered and the degree to which they're involved or perhaps even aware of the detail of how it's being carried out, and I think there's definitely an argument to be had over whether it's being done well.

I agree with you.....

but there is a danger here, that some of the fanbase,  think he is doing it badly, but they think he is doing the necessary things.

It's to be established, of course.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

I agree with you.....

but there is a danger here, that we think he is doing it badly, but they think he is doing the necessary things.

It's to be established, of course.

I think ultimately (from what I can gather) whether it's done well will come down almost entirely to whether or not we're in the £450m revenue bracket in two or three years time. 

• Like 4

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think ultimately (from what I can gather) whether it's done well will come down almost entirely to whether or not we're in the £450m revenue bracket in two or three years time. 

So let us assume, that we are, and that we are  making a fist of it on the pitch, too.

Do you think that changes the landscape of this price increase debate...Do you think many folk will concede " ah well, he was right, wasn't he?"

I still presume, it will come down to..." Its alright for some"

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

So let us assume, that we are, and that we are  making a fist of it on the pitch, too.

Do you think that changes the landscape of this price increase debate...Do you think many folk will concede " ah well, he was right, wasn't he?"

I still presume, it will come down to..." Its alright for some"

I don't know, time will tell, the game is changing, and not for the betterment of the match-going supporter, but then there's definitely a case for an awareness that these teams aren't really ours anymore, that the Premier league is a global vehicle, that we will play games abroad, all that kind of thing. What's important though within that is doing things the right way. We're becoming seen as a club that do the quiet bit out loud, and I think sometimes people will react better to an action that's to their detriment if it's delivered with a little grace or an explanation.

If he gets us to £450m he'll have done a really good job.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If he gets us to £450m he'll have done a really good job.

He won't get to that figure unless he can massively increase the global fan base, possibly increase the VP capacity to 55-60k and reach the CL for the next 3 seasons. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If he gets us to £450m he'll have done a really good job

Not a great start when our kit deal is a long way below Newcastle and even below Castore's Everton deal. It's a long term deal with Adidas so it seems unlikely that we'll be moving up the rankings for kit sponsorship before Heck is fired, leaves etc. Could be poor timing, another year of Castore may have been better for long term income. 

He's a man in too much of a hurry, everything is short term... That gives me concern that he's building things on sand to pad his own reputation rather than thinking about the medium to long term. See facilities. 

Also the debacle this past two weeks has been terrible in how the club is presented in the media. Which won't help with future partnerships. 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Dale said:

He's a man in too much of a hurry, everything is short term... That gives me concern that he's building things on sand to pad his own reputation rather than thinking about the medium to long term. See facilities. 

To be honest that's how it seems to me. Making the "easy" changes for quick wins. Even the crest, he picked the one he liked and that was it. Move on to the next thing. Fans don't like CL ticket prices, okay, move on to new signage/fan zone. 

I'll call it now. If we don't make the Champions League again next season, Heck will not achieve his revenue target. For that season. 90% of his increased revenue target this season will come purely from the prize money from being on the Champions league.

€39m before a ball is kicked. 

€2.1m for every match we win.

€700k for every match we draw.

Let's assume we win 2 and draw 3 of our 8 fixtures (a very modest assumption).

That's €6.3m.

We'd likely then proceed to the next round,  where we'd get more prize money. 

That's a minium of €45m vs his target of £50m.

For what it's worth, I think we'll smash the £50m increase this season with all the extra GA+, the record kit sales, the extra matchday revenue from having more matches against higher calibre opposition. A fraction of the increase will be on Heck,  but it will be in part thanks to him.  If we don't get that €45m from the champs league next season though,  he won't be adding another £100m on top of what we achieved last season.

• Like 1

The increases will come from the stuff that Heck is good at - that's why he's here.

We made something like £20m in sponsorships last season, we're probably looking at about double that this season, to reach £450m we'll need that number to be more than £150m.

Our future might well be dependent on us finding some companies that want to pay for it.

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I'd be fairly sure the following events took place. 

1) Heck is head hunted to grow the clubs commercial revenue and build a brand with a focus on lucrative US market 

2) Heck does a review after he joins and appointed his own people. He's been hired because the commercial department is very local focused and underperforming rivals.

3) He and his team create a business plan. This is about, Local, National and International. In it covers decisions on Crest, Villa Park including North Stand and premium seating, Ticket prices, Sponsorship, Kit and Front of Shirt, sleeve and ancillary (our beer partners our JD sports etc..).

This plan includes projections for revenue growth in different scenarios based on European Competitions 

4) This business plan is Pitched to NSWE. They approve all the key points or if there was options presented and a preferred option they approve it (there may be items we've never heard of that they didn't approve). 

5) The plan is put into action, Heck does first public speaking to AVFC TV etc. and we are seeing all of that now. 

This is how large professionals companies do business. Especially when they head hunt a person for a specific role. 

Yes for point 1 and 2.

3) Kind of.

Big fat NO to point 4. That’s not how most companies work. Heck’s team will pitch the business plan to Heck. Heck will approve it, choose options or request changes. No chance pricing or commercial decisions go to the owners for approval. Heck is the big dog who approves that.

5) You missed the sentence where Heck lies to the media every time he opens his mouth.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yes for point 1 and 2.

3) Kind of.

Big fat NO to point 4. That’s not how most companies work. Heck’s team will pitch the business plan to Heck. Heck will approve it, choose options or request changes. No chance pricing or commercial decisions go to the owners for approval. Heck is the big dog who approves that.

5) You missed the sentence where Heck lies to the media every time he opens his mouth.

We get that nswe saved the club and people are reluctant to put any blame on them. But this ticket strategy is squarely on them, Heck is just an executor.

Even if they don't sign off on every individual pricing decision directly, they knew exactly who they hired in Heck and what his track record was.

They're surely aware now of the noise it caused. If they don't approve of his decision, they could simply tell him to lower the pricing. They did not, cause they're fully behind it.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

The reason I have posted, quite a bit, is to persuade folk not to spoil, their own enjoyment over this issue....even accepting, its ok for me, but not so easy for other folk.

I have spoken on this issue, as a headline, and steered clear, of the detail, on the basis of not knowing enough....and the essence of my comments is surrounding that.

For sure, I am interested, in the clubs business, from a headline point of view, but the details and politics surrounding those headlines, no I am not.

Look, I am certainly not trying to tell folk, how to be fan....That's their prerogative, just giving my pennyworth, through my lens.

NB I reserve the right to change, my view if the circumstances are revealed to prompt me to.

But thanks for the exchange.

Consider my curiosity satiated. 😁

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yes for point 1 and 2.

3) Kind of.

Point 2 wasn't quite true. Commercial department was actually doing pretty well for a mid table team which is what it was when those deals were struck. 

15 hours ago, thabucks said:

I love the fact that some on here think they speak for the whole of the fan base -average fan / core fan … your opinion is just that and I for one having been a fan since 89 and going to matches since 91 understand and appreciate these shit choices and decisions have to be made for the betterment of our club … but that is my opinion and I don’t speak for anyone but myself - this place is a small microcosm of our fan base and isn’t a barometer given its faceless forum which becomes an echo chamber. 

If NSWE didn’t think Heck wasn’t  doing right nor a good job he’d be moved on and replaced pretty darn quickly or downgraded like Purslow was once he’d reached his ceiling. These guys are ruthless and that for me is enough to know Heck is doing what’s expected. Do I agree with it all - hell no but also know it’s what’s required in this modern rigged game 

Like I said before, I am speaking purely from a branding exercise perspective, because that is part of my career background. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thabucks said:

downgraded like Purslow was once he’d reached his ceiling

He has a long way to go to reach Purslow's ceiling on commercial deals. Believe that the Nike/Samsung deals he spearheaded at Chelsea were record breaking. And the Standard Chartered deal at Liverpool was of course also pretty exceptional. Heck hasn't achieved anything in this sport in comparison - he's also been doing a much easier job commercially than Purslow here. Thanks, largely, to Unai Emery. 

On signing that Standard Chartered deal he said (which suggests far more understanding of the game and his stakeholders than his succesor):

"I hate words like 'brand'. I don't want Liverpool to be the biggest brand in the world, I want to make it the best team in the world" 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Yes Heck! He's just announced a new stadium outside of Villa Park. Hopefully of himself. 

Just a mere 4000 miles away from Villa Park in the middle east where he can employ some cheap labour and call those sock cooker serfs out for what they really are.

Want a stadium to stay in Birmingham. Sell your house. If every home owner sold their home that had a season ticket we'd be sorted.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dale said:

He has a long way to go to reach Purslow's ceiling on commercial deals. Believe that the Nike/Samsung deals he spearheaded at Chelsea were record breaking. And the Standard Chartered deal at Liverpool was of course also pretty exceptional. Heck hasn't achieved anything in this sport in comparison - he's also been doing a much easier job commercially than Purslow here. Thanks, largely, to Unai Emery. 

On signing that Standard Chartered deal he said (which suggests far more understanding of the game and his stakeholders than his succesor):

"I hate words like 'brand'. I don't want Liverpool to be the biggest brand in the world, I want to make it the best team in the world" 

Purslow had the history and recent success of those two clubs  to fall back on to secure those record deals whereas heck has championship football 5 years ago … 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â