Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

The most damaging thing that Heck has done through sheer incompetence is to remove any potential illusion that the club actually authentically believed in all the PR crap re importance of the fans and looking after average Joe etc etc. Even if you don’t believe it behind closed doors it’s utter, utter incompetence to remove that illusion for the vast majority of fans. 

You see the problem with treating fans like customers is that they start acting like customers. It becomes an emotionless transaction that increasingly becomes more detached and there remains no good will where the business falls short. E.g. he better fix those toilets, concourses, service levels and food and beverage options asap because the shite we are currently given is no longer acceptable (it actually never was but they had huge good will, which has now largely gone). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

The most damaging thing that Heck has done through sheer incompetence is to remove any potential illusion that the club actually authentically believed in all the PR crap re importance of the fans and looking after average Joe etc etc. Even if you don’t believe it behind closed doors it’s utter, utter incompetence to remove that illusion for the vast majority of fans. 

You see the problem with treating fans like customers is that they start acting like customers. It becomes an emotionless transaction that increasingly becomes more detached and there remains no good will where the business falls short. E.g. he better fix those toilets, concourses, service levels and food and beverage options asap because the shite we are currently given is no longer acceptable (it actually never was but they had huge good will, which has now largely gone). 

This a point I can relate to, having been here in the US for 25 years.  I always tell friends here that US "fans" are actually just customers and very different from "supporters" in that the supporter sees him/herself as part of the club, whereas fans just buy stuff and cheer when the team wins.  It's why there is a non-existent atmosphere in most US sports stadiums, aside from college football (because they are students with a sense of belonging to the institution).  

Heck claims to have gained an understanding of the club and its history and English football, but he clearly hasn't.  Aside from the kit launch (and I'm sure they paid Ozzy and co plenty) I'm not seeing any type of understanding from him.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

GDP per capita in Brighton = £44,013 p/a

GDP per capita in Birmingham = £28,841 p/a

You're making an economic argument, while ignoring the perfectly sound economic reasons that so many of us are irate about the direction of travel at the club 

Fair point. How about Leeds then? Or Wolves? 

I'd like people to look at the costs of rival clubs. Look at the position of those clubs relative to us. That's how the club are determining the pricing of things. Along with both how expensive the region is (London Vs Birmingham) and how much demand there is. All key factors in the commercial decision making. 

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Look at it this way. We will have let's say 24/25 top level home games this season between Premier League and Champions League. We've huge demand for tickets, 30,000+ waiting for a chance to get a season ticket. 

Why should I care which fan pays for the ticket? They're all passionate fans wanting to see Villa. 

This is the economics of the sport. This is the reality of the sport. Aston Villa FC is a top Premiership side in the Champions League. Chris Heck is making the right commercial decisions for the club economically. Giving additional finances for investment into the playing squad. 

Across the board he is here to increase revenue. All aspects. It's long overdue and is fundamentally critical to the long term success of Villa. That's why I am so happy with his performance so far. 

I presume given this you were fully in support of increasing disabled fan parking spaces then? After all, we have hundreds of disabled spaces in the ground yet only 65 parking spaces. If one of the disabled fans who usually parks there objects to paying £10 instead of £20 per game then there's a queue of disabled fans behind them who'd pay for the spot, and the fact all spots sold out proves that. It's supply and demand. We should increase disabled parking spaces to £50 a game as long as they all sell out. Why should I care which fan pays for the parking space? They're all passionate fans wanting to see villa. That is the economics of the sport. Chris Heck was making the right commercial decisions for the club economically, giving additional finances for investment into the playing squad. Across the board he is here to increase revenue. All aspects, as you say.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blunther said:

I presume given this you were fully in support of increasing disabled fan parking spaces then? 

No as I posted in this thread, that's a stupid decision and own goal. It's completely irrelevant additional income for a handful of disabled spaces. Doubling the cost too. 

Has this been independently confirmed though? It's such a stupid decision it seems like it has to be a mistake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

The amount of gaslighting this guy undertakes could save us a significant amount in our energy bills... 

I'd like him to just do his job if that's possible.

Nothing on training kit. Nothing on training ground. Nothing on villa park. Any time is good Chris.

Raise revenue that would make a difference, not needlessly gouging fans.

I keep hoping for a club statement along the lines of;

Aston Villa can announce the departure by mutual agreement of Chris Heck, we would like to take this opportunity to thank Chris for all his hard work.

Some of Chris' highlights include;

Moving long standing season ticket holders, splitting families up in the process.

Creating 500 new hospitality options for matchday

Selling seats that don't exist

Pissing off an already largely grumpy fan base

And helping us qualify for the Champions League with his sponsorship endeavours

We all wish him every success in his new venture somewhere else

Edited by TDR V2

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

So if Oasis had set their tickets at £1000 each, they’d be justified by the expected sell-out?

That’s rubbish tbf, mate.

Just because you can charge so much doesn’t mean you should. 

Your analogy conveniently sidesteps the fact that Villa need more revenue. S**t loags more revenue, in order to compete sustainably at the top table. 

This is what football, and the PL in particular has become. A pure money game where every £ counts. It's sad, really. 

Oasis don't need more revenue, they are just being greedy c**ts. 

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Great post.

It's why I call this group of season ticket holders and regular match day goers as in a bubble. They want the club to grow income like the rest of us but would prefer tickets to stay cheap and it doesn't matter how big the season ticket waiting list gets. Doesn't matter how hard it is to get tickets. Doesn't matter where our average ticket price sits Vs other European Premier League clubs. Their pocket is the most important thing. 

Nassef Sawiris is Executive Chairman as in he is filling the role as CEO and Chairman. Fans can't vent their disapproval at him who is clearly and 100% driving this. The redevelopment of Villa Park, the price increases of tickets are signed off by him. The appointment and remit of Heck and Emery etc. agreed by him. 

No, that doesn't work for this group. It has to be Heck who is the target because he is new. So in their minds they can disassociate Heck from NSWE as if they are absentee parents. Nassef doing interviews with the FT about PSR. It's Nassef who attends the Premier League meetings. 

If you want to balance your views on the ticket prices you need to balance them against what NSWE have done since owning the club. This is their decision and if you think you would rather cheaper ticket prices and them gone then go for it. Make your banner NSWE Out of my club and protest. 

Im not sure that is completely fair. My issues with Heck have to do with things that Heck has done. As do the positive things I have to say about him.

Granted, the owners sign off on the majority of this stuff, & some of us have acknowledged that, but at the same time, it has to be Heck selling the ideas to them to be able to make money for the club, as that is literally his job. He has to have some autonomy, as well as responsibility.

If he doesn't, then why is he at the club? And why are we paying him when it's all the owners doing the work?

His wages could go to PSR, as after all, according to some, every penny helps.

I don't particularly agree that every penny or pound helps, as goodwill & clever marketing are far more valuable to looking after the core customer base, even if it shaves a mil or two off the bottom line, because it can pay dividends further down the line.

It's part of branding 101 by understanding & looking after your core customer base first & foremost, BEFORE the ambitious task of targeting a global fanbase.

Something that I feel Heck has been wilfully ignorant to. If it's not wilful ignorance, then it's incompetence. Im not sure which scares me the most. 

Edited by Andy_10

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Your analogy conveniently sidesteps the fact that Villa need more revenue. S**t loags more revenue, in order to compete sustainably at the top table. 

This is what football, and the PL in particular has become. A pure money game where every £ counts. It's sad, really. 

Oasis don't need more revenue, they are just being greedy c**ts. 

Sadly, this is so.

I have to say, we are not blameless in the clamour/ demand for better players, who attract huge fees( in some cases) and equally huge wages. We then pay Homage to that as part of the seduction to heroes. That is not a criticism, its an observation and I am acutely aware, of my guilt in this too.

I am not defending the club here, just searching for a semblance of balance.....We are demanding a better grade of football, and it comes at a price. Maybe that's a reality, that wasn't factored in by some.

How the club square that circle, I guess is part of the debate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TDR V2 said:

He's a wrong un, the sooner he's found out the better. What he can get away with across the pond is different to here. He chose to wait to make that statement until the GA tickets had sold out, it's our own fault for buying the bloody things. The financials don't add up to this supposed massive difference, £25-£30 less would have made similar money and wouldn't have resulted in a seriously pissed off fan base. 

I'm all for boycotting the last league stage game and leave the ground empty. Especially if we have qualified for at least a play-off 

You could be right, but until he's found out I remain sceptical.

I still think there are too many unsubstantiated claims on him.....when there is firm and unambiguous evidence to prove you right, that's the time imo to take action.

Hearsay, rumours etc is no basis for truth......I can think of other folk who have the shadow of misinformation cast over them too, with scant evidence.

let me be clear, I'm not excited, by the incremental price rises in tickets, and other profit centres the club identify, but to blame one individual at the club, seems a bit far fetched to me. Sure he's the head, but how much is supported within the club?

There are many individuals who work for Aston Villa, some enjoying huge, salaries, what are they saying?......Do they condone it? or is it one mans crusade, they all hide behind.

I just think there are more questions than answers, sorry, If I am appearing to defend the situation, and to be clear, I am not. 

I want to know more before I dig out my pitch fork and light the torches, sorry for the trope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Great post.

It's why I call this group of season ticket holders and regular match day goers as in a bubble. They want the club to grow income like the rest of us but would prefer tickets to stay cheap and it doesn't matter how big the season ticket waiting list gets. Doesn't matter how hard it is to get tickets. Doesn't matter where our average ticket price sits Vs other European Premier League clubs. Their pocket is the most important thing. 

Nassef Sawiris is Executive Chairman as in he is filling the role as CEO and Chairman. Fans can't vent their disapproval at him who is clearly and 100% driving this. The redevelopment of Villa Park, the price increases of tickets are signed off by him. The appointment and remit of Heck and Emery etc. agreed by him. 

No, that doesn't work for this group. It has to be Heck who is the target because he is new. So in their minds they can disassociate Heck from NSWE as if they are absentee parents. Nassef doing interviews with the FT about PSR. It's Nassef who attends the Premier League meetings. 

If you want to balance your views on the ticket prices you need to balance them against what NSWE have done since owning the club. This is their decision and if you think you would rather cheaper ticket prices and them gone then go for it. Make your banner NSWE Out of my club and protest. 

Yep. Ultimately it's the owners. You can't hire someone with Heck's track record and expect him to behave in any other way than he has. And they won't have wanted him to. He's doing exactly what they want from him. Maximise our revenue in every possible way. He's doing the job he was hired to do in the way they knew he would do it.

Any problem people have is with the remit that he was given by those above.

So for me it's on them, but then again they only HAVE that remit because of FFP/PSR. So Heck is their necessary evil.

I'm not actually pissed off with him at all now. Quite philosophical about it actually. If you hire a scorpion, you can't blame the scorpion.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I think there is confusion here......We expect those levels of service, and hygiene to be the basic norm, irrespective of any pricing debate.

You expect clean and functioning toilets at any venue and gathering of the public.....it should not be related as a bargaining chip.

I think there is a separate case, for expecting basic facilities  to meet the standards of the current era.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

You could be right, but until he's found out I remain sceptical.

I still think there are too many unsubstantiated claims on him.....when there is firm and unambiguous evidence to prove you right, that's the time imo to take action.

Hearsay, rumours etc is no basis for truth......I can think of other folk who have the shadow of misinformation cast over them too, with scant evidence.

let me be clear, I'm not excited, by the incremental price rises in tickets, and other profit centres the club identify, but to blame one individual at the club, seems a bit far fetched to me. Sure he's the head, but how much is supported within the club?

There are many individuals who work for Aston Villa, some enjoying huge, salaries, what are they saying?......Do they condone it? or is it one mans crusade, they all hide behind.

I just think there are more questions than answers, sorry, If I am appearing to defend the situation, and to be clear, I am not. 

I want to know more before I dig out my pitch fork and light the torches, sorry for the trope.

I've based my opinion of what i have seen so far, not really interested in what the overall mob think. 

He's a revenue getter (apparently) and they are usually cut from the same cloth as sales people. Get the sale regardless.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

And this to me is the bottom line of football fan naivete. 

When the petrol costs a 10p extra you blame the government/big petrol businesses. You hate those bastards, you can't trust them.

When your rent goes up by £100 a month you blame that evil landlord, you hate that bastard, you can't trust him.

When your food costs £15 extra a week, you blame Tesco, you can't trust those evil bastards.

But when a business (which logo you wear on your shirt and so did your father/grandad) decides to up the prices, all of a sudden everyone is surprised because it's my trusted beloved business - how could they? After all, it's my beloved club!

I will let you into a little secret; you can support Aston Villa football team, and yet do not trust Heck, NSWE, The Premier League, UEFA etc. They want to make money, and they are not concerned in the slightest if you can attend the game with your son or daughter. You can jog on.

And please don't be surprised about it. They care about you as much as Shell or Tui or Aldi does. 

I'm certainly not surprised, as I've stated elsewhere I have gone from attending as many home games as possible to barely any over the past two seasons. The club has therefore lost hundreds of pounds in revenue from me, which is fine while we're flying and there is a demand for daytrippers to take my place. If our current level of success is not sustained, that demand will drop, but I am now unlikely to ever go back to attending regularly under this ownership

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have to say, we are not blameless in the clamour/ demand for better players, who attract huge fees( in some cases) and equally huge wages. We then pay Homage to that as part of the seduction to heroes. That is not a criticism, its an observation and I am acutely aware, of my guilt in this too.

I am not defending the club here, just searching for a semblance of balance.....We are demanding a better grade of football, and it comes at a price. Maybe that's a reality, that wasn't factored in by some.

I agree with this. I've been attending matches with my brother since the late 80s its felt like something we would always do.

Over the last couple of seasons watching the direction that the club is going we've been having the same conversation.....

"this is great.....but its going to cost us"

Surely we aren't the only pair of fans that saw this coming? It was never going to be any other way.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â