Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The badge voted by the fans would have required a big rebrand if we adopted it as the official. Instead it was a one off and only used on the clubs kit while the older Lerner bade was retained. Our current badge is an update to the Lerner one. According to Price of Football to roll out the change (which was significant change to the badge from Lerner to fan voted one) would have cost "the salary of a first tea player for a season". Now the price of football podcast is highly respected and so I take the costings they got (not from the club but from their sources in the game) as fairly accurate. 

Iterations on an established design don't require a rebrand. Our current Crest and the last Lerner crest are clearly visually very very similar. Meaning a rebrand not needed as the crest is iterative not completetly new. 

Would still require the cost of adjusting on all media, platforms and anywhere it is rollout.  It would be less than the rollout of the round badge but closer to that cost than zero.  Everything needed to be adjusted and brought.

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed. I really think the communication aspect is where they are causing the most damage to themselves.

What's frustrating to me is I don't even think that angle is something difficult to fix.

And yes it's frustrating having to see fans turn on each other over these issues when we should be enjoying one of our most successful periods of recent memory.

You do accept that on communication there are constraints. They didn't want to come out to explain decisions on the Crest and North Stand were driven by the clubs current financial PSR plight. That would make the negotiating position of the club worse off with a crucial June approaching. It's why we've seen such openness since the June date by Monchi and Vidigani explaining the realities they and the club had to hide up until end of June has passed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The badge voted by the fans would have required a big rebrand if we adopted it as the official. Instead it was a one off and only used on the clubs kit while the older Lerner bade was retained. Our current badge is an update to the Lerner one. According to Price of Football to roll out the change (which was significant change to the badge from Lerner to fan voted one) would have cost "the salary of a first tea player for a season". Now the price of football podcast is highly respected and so I take the costings they got (not from the club but from their sources in the game) as fairly accurate. 

Iterations on an established design don't require a rebrand. Our current Crest and the last Lerner crest are clearly visually very very similar. Meaning a rebrand not needed as the crest is iterative not completetly new. 

No, no.

Dig up, stupid.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Would still require the cost of adjusting on all media, platforms and anywhere it is rollout.  It would be less than the rollout of the round badge but closer to that cost than zero.  Everything needed to be adjusted and brought.

I believe the point was the change from Lerner Crest to Round Crest was a significant one and in global markets you need to spend money to make people aware this is now the symbol for the club. While the crest we have this season and the Lerner Crest everyone can tell is Villa as old and new are close to identical. That was the point made in relation to the cost.

Edited by CVByrne

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You do accept that on communication there are constraints. They didn't want to come out to explain decisions on the Crest and North Stand were driven by the clubs current financial PSR plight. That would make the negotiating position of the club worse off with a crucial June approaching. It's why we've seen such openness since the June date by Monchi and Vidigani explaining the realities they and the club had to hide up until end of June has passed.

I accept that is a fair comment.....but when trust is in place, and a party acknowledges the need to be candid, but can't be at that time, and explains the timing requires discretion, most reasonable folk, would accept that.

but a responsibility, does then have to be met, at some stage in order to sustain that trust.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Ohhhh Heck!

Laughable. What a terrible week for Villa off the pitch. 

I really don't like what this club is becoming off the pitch. 

Edited by PieFacE

Problems off the pitch will inevitably seep onto the pitch..

Slightly worrying times ahead..

If fans are discontent and voice their feelings it will create an uncomfortable atmosphere around the stadium..

I hope the club resolve matters before it gets to this point..

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I believe the point was the change from Lerner Crest to Round Crest was a significant one and in global markets you need to spend money to make people aware this is now the symbol for the club. While the crest we have this season and the Lerner Crest everyone can tell is Villa as old and new are close to identical. That was the point made in relation to the cost.

But it would still be the same because the global markets need to know it has changed however small.  The difference they talked about was a complete relaunch event which was a choice the club wanted to do under Purslow because it was seen as a positive due to collaboration with the fans and close to the 150th anniversary.  In terms of the physical change, changing to the round badge would only be slightly more than the crest.  Cut out the major relaunch events wasn’t needed but something Purslow wanted to do but wasn’t needed for the change.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But it would still be the same because the global markets need to know it has changed however small.  The difference they talked about was a complete relaunch event which was a choice the club wanted to do under Purslow because it was seen as a positive due to collaboration with the fans and close to the 150th anniversary.  In terms of the physical change, changing to the round badge would only be slightly more than the crest.  Cut out the major relaunch events wasn’t needed but something Purslow wanted to do but wasn’t needed for the change.

No, not in terms of brand recognition. Anyone can see our current crest and know it's Villa if they were already familiar with our old one.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The similarities also mean that the full rebrand can take place over a longer period.  If the players have the new badge on the shirt but the old badge is still on the main stand or the doors, etc then it's not such a big issue.  So even if it costs the same those costs can be spread over a longer period of time.  You only have to look back at some of the message threads complaining about having two badges last season to see that the rebranding needed to be done much quicker as the differences between the old crest and the round reverse lion were significantly more pronounced.  Given our PSR issues it looks like basically Heck was left with four options: (a) implement the round badge everywhere but sell someone like Ollie (on top of Dougie and Diaby); (b) adopt the round badge on the shirts, training gear but leave the old badge in place around the ground (and live with everyone moaning about it looking like amateur hour and laughing at "two badge Villa"); (c) tidy up the old badge a bit to allow for some new branding addressing some of the key fan issues with the Lerner badge, whilst allowing the the work to be implemented over a longer period, or; (d) cancel all branding effort and go back to the Lerner badge.  I don't think Heck's decision looks bad with those options but quite clearly he couldn't be open and transparent at the time and say these are the choices because that would have impacted every commercial negotiation that took place afterwards (sponsorship, transfers, etc) by putting us in a weaker position and likely would have cost us more money - making it more likely that we'd have to sell more players either this summer or next.

• Like 1

Get this complete sack of shit out of my club.

His position should actually be untenable at this point. It should be extremely uncomfortable for him to attend a supporters group, a club event or even a game in his ivory tower.

Get

The 

Out

• Like 1

For me a lot of this is communication, and he has been surprisingly poor on this.  Certainly in regards to the confusion on the north stand. If it was indeed down to being too close to the PSR  then just say it rather than our current capacity is good enough which is papalbly nonsense. Same with the vague promises of a further capacity uplift next summer. I refuse to believe we will get close to the 45k figure.  But anyway this has been talked to death on this and it is not going to change anytime soon.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â