Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

Not sure how anyone can say our issues goes all the way to the owners. Sawiris and Edens run multi-billion dollar companies. Villa is one of dozens of projects they are involved in. Unless they are micro managers they have entrusted Heck to run the day-to-day operations. UCL ticket prices  is probably low on the agenda of things across their corporate empire they would feel a need to get involved in.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Not sure how anyone can say our issues goes all the way to the owners. Sawiris and Edens run multi-billion dollar companies. Villa is one of dozens of projects they are involved in. Unless they are micro managers they have entrusted Heck to run the day-to-day operations. UCL ticket prices  is probably low on the agenda of things across their corporate empire they would feel a need to get involved in.   

That's very naive of you. They will be aware of a relatively major decision for one of their businesses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Same token plenty of staff work under Heck who will oversee and ultimately sign off but he won’t be involved in everything and will entrust his staff to advise and make the right decisions. We have Ron Erskine as CCO Ben Hatton as COO, Richard Stevens as Vice President, Strategy and Analytics… Being president the buck stops with him ultimately but it isn't some maniacal one man crusade to screw over Villa fans like the pantomime villain he’s painted out to be - there are other people in play who hide behind Heck who need questions answered. I believe he’s done some bad stuff and obviously some good and when he leaves we will be in a much healthier position financially than when he found us. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Same token plenty of staff work under Heck who will oversee and ultimately sign off but he won’t be involved in everything and will entrust his staff to advise and make the right decisions. We have Ron Erskine as CCO Ben Hatton as COO, Richard Stevens as Vice President, Strategy and Analytics… Being president the buck stops with him ultimately but it isn't some maniacal one man crusade to screw over Villa fans like the pantomime villain he’s painted out to be - there are other people in play who hide behind Heck who need questions answered. I believe he’s done some bad stuff and obviously some good and when he leaves we will be in a much healthier position financially than when he found us. 

Agree to an extent. Feel Heck sets the tone.  He's there day-to-day. The owners are not.

• Like 1

Heck is fast becoming the new Villa Villan. I heard he will be trolling fans by turning up at the Bayern game dressed like Guy Fawkes and watching the the match from his free champions league seat. He will also be drinking plenty of nice cool beer so that he can spend ample time during the game pissing in the upgraded GA+ toilets. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Agree to an extent. Feel Heck sets the tone.  He's there day-to-day. The owners are not.

He heads up the business operation. He no doubt is aiming to his targets that are set but I think he has a fair degree of autonomy on his budgets and policies.

His er 'style' has alienated people. I mean I flew over for games in the Championship and stuck by them for 30 years but he has pushed me close to giving up.

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Heck is fast becoming the new Villa Villan. I heard he will be trolling fans by turning up at the Bayern game dressed like Guy Fawkes and watching the game from his free champions league seat with a big smirk on his face. 

Maybe if he acted with some respect to the people who are the backbone of the club he wouldn't be. It would be possible to do his job well without having pissed off so many fans and telling so many porkies. See Mr Emery for an example of bringing the whole club with you as you initiate a revolution. 

Remember the minutes from his first FAB meeting last year were a real 'WTF' moment so this has been early on, he gave a bad impression 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 4

On 04/09/2024 at 18:50, nepal_villan said:

He has a clear mandate. He does not care what anyone thinks. 

Well I think people are ignoring the elephant in the room and that is that NSWE hired him to do this. Ticket prices rose in the last 2 summers before Heck got here. This is a club policy

I know people are afraid to have a pop at NSWE but they are the most guilty party for me

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well I think people are ignoring the elephant in the room and that is that NSWE hired him to do this. Ticket prices rose in the last 2 summers before Heck got here. This is a club policy

I know people are afraid to have a pop at NSWE but they are the most guilty party for me

In terms of overall parameters and targets but just like Purslow before him he has the say over the detail of how things get done. A person in that role wouldn't take it on if there wasn't a degree of autonomy with it. Otherwise your hands are tied. And there has been a definite shift in tone, comms and detail since he came. A dramatic one at that.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But on this basis you can blame them for every bad decision including management and player signings. Ultimately everything comes down from them but if people wants to start directing any anger at NSWE then they need to ask themselves what they actually want from supporting Villa. 

FWIW I don't think anger should be targeted at any individual including Heck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Heck is fast becoming the new Villa Villan. I heard he will be trolling fans by turning up at the Bayern game dressed like Guy Fawkes and watching the the match from his free champions league seat. He will also be drinking plenty of nice cool beer so that he can spend ample time during the game pissing in the upgraded GA+ toilets. 

Man even has his own swear filter on VT

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What does this mean? Why would people be "afraid" to criticise NSWE?

It amazes me that somehow fans think the board didn't sign off on the pricing of Pl ticketing as well as CL home games.

Some of the narratives being used like its London prices and blaming Heck are far from anything constructive or reflective of the actual situation.

People seem to want to take the easy option in targeting Heck rather than looking at the bigger picture.

• Like 1

This is more suited to the NSWE thread but they haven't invested in us just to make money. There are many easier ways to invest £500 million and make more money. 

Not to say they want to lose money either.  They want to enjoy the journey as well as end up making some money as a bonus. Wes Edens is a mad sports fan and he pretty much said this in his earlier interviews.

They have hired Heck to increase revenue.  However, they will want him to increase revenue whilst not pissing off the fans. They will not get involved in what Heck does, but now the pricing has hit the media i bet Wes and Nas have seen it and will now be speaking to Heck about it. They won't tell Heck what to do (what CEO would allow that in their job over minor details such as pricing on a match) but they will be watching him a little closer now. 

If they hear about a few issues and feel that doesn't fit their ethos, then Heck will be 'let go' sooner rather than later.   I would be amazed if Heck is CEO in 2 years time.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

It’s a big risk they took , we were worth about 50-60m when they bought us .. it’s all their effort, business acumen & proper management that got us here …please don’t confuse football & charity 

I don’t think it was a big risk at all. They are billionaires for a reason. They smelt an opportunity of buying one of the biggest clubs in world football for peanuts. Yes we wasn’t in great shape when they bought us but good business people see the opportunity. Grealish alone was a great asset to have on the balance sheet, along with the ground, BMH and other land around the ground. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

It amazes me that somehow fans think the board didn't sign off on the pricing of Pl ticketing as well as CL home games.

Some of the narratives being used like its London prices and blaming Heck are far from anything constructive or reflective of the actual situation.

People seem to want to take the easy option in targeting Heck rather than looking at the bigger picture.

This is true which is why I said fans need to ask themselves what they want as a Villa fan. The club will make decisions that won't sit well with everyone.   I personally would be happy to sacrifice going to games if it meant we're a regular top 6 club always competing at the top.   But I get everyone is different. 

Keeping on topic there is something about Heck I have never liked. Even in his interviews it all feels very insincere to me. I get he is meant to be good at what he does though. 

• Like 1

The owners do share some of the responsibility. They are the owners & at the very least, if people are unhappy with Heck & not the owners, then they should at least be unhappy with them for hiring him in the first place. Especially after the review he earned while at New York Red Bulls. 

I don’t think people really comprehend how much damage he’s done in the little time he’s been there,” one team insider said. He added: “He just came off as arrogant and ignorant, and in this business it’s a very bad combination. He was so arrogant, you just couldn’t talk to him. You don’t have to be a 100 percent soccer guy, able to name all the players on Brazil’s 1970 World Cup-winning team, but you have to have a basic understanding of the sport you’re working in. And that was clearly lacking."

I don't think that negates the need for criticism of Heck for the negative things that he has done. He is a grown man, he earns lots of money doing his job, so when he fails at it, there should be some accountability. Especially at a football club, which is so public. Does the final buck stop with the owners? Yes & no, I would imagine. For example, they would have had the final say on the North Stand stadium upgrade, because thats a lot of money to spend. But how did Heck sell them on cancelling those works? And what was his motivation for doing so? Same with the crest.

But the opposite goes for the positive things that he has done. His hand in the Castore cancellation negotiations, etc. 

I think that on forums, mostly due to social media, there often seems to be an inability to be able to recognise the grey areas. Everything is always either "brilliant" or "awful". And more often than not, the truth often lays in the middle. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â