Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Success brings  bigger sponserships

Im suprised we didnt get a sponser from a company out in Egypt or in the US as they are big fishes in their respected countries

Apparently Nas&Wes want as much money as possible, so we just went with the first load of crap that threw the most money at us, regardless what the company was.

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Apparently Nas&Wes want as much money as possible, so we just went with the first load of crap that threw the most money at us, regardless what the company was.

Doesn't tally up with the way I heard it.

They'd certainly rather it hadn't been a betting company but when that one offered far more than anyone else it was accepted along with a lot of provisos and conditions.

Interesting, too, that the man who signed off on that deal is no longer employed by the club.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Doesn't tally up with the way I heard it.

They'd certainly rather it hadn't been a betting company but when that one offered far more than anyone else it was accepted along with a lot of provisos and conditions.

Interesting, too, that the man who signed off on that deal is no longer employed by the club.

I agree with you Rob.

My first line was with reference to a posters comment on the forum (I forget who now) a couple of months back when the sighting of this gambling logo was first revealed. (My comment might have came across a little sarcastic when read back).

At first when it was mentioned - BK8, it also made me question what Nas&Wes would think the sponsor if this was going to be the one this season? So it's no suprise to hear you mention that they too were against it at first.

And yes, It's equally no suprise to see the guy who made the deal happen is no longer with us either.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picking up from the fan consult thread, one of the things that is a concern about Heck is that American sports executives are not held to account by fans the way they are in Europe, so he might be bemused by Villa supporters who demand transparency and accountability. 

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

Picking up from the fan consult thread, one of the things that is a concern about Heck is that American sports executives are not held to account by fans the way they are in Europe, so he might be bemused by Villa supporters who demand transparency and accountability. 

We are we holding them to account? We have occasional fans rep group that can summarize the main views of the support base but it is hardly legally binding is it.  We have no voting rights on the board, and do not own even 1% of the club.  All of that went when Doug sold Villa to Lerner. If they wanted to they could do practically whatever they wanted, like increasing ticket prices by 15% year on year for example.

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

We are we holding them to account? We have occasional fans rep group that can summarize the main views of the support base but it is hardly legally binding is it.  We have no voting rights on the board, and do not own even 1% of the club.  All of that went when Doug sold Villa to Lerner. If they wanted to they could do practically whatever they wanted, like increasing ticket prices by 15% year on year for example.

What I mean is that fan groups in Europe (even ones with no actionable power or Ultra menace) can make owners and executives uncomfortable in a way that just doesn't happen in the US. 

3 hours ago, wishywashy said:

The Stevens appointment could be a bit weird. If it is strategy and analytics for the club on the footballing side then it's strange given his previous experience. But it makes more sense if it is more in a commercial capacity with marketing analytics. Also elmo working at a senior levelon the commercial side with no previous experience is a bit risky - unless it was nas getting a job for his mate. 

Clearly the appointment of Heck and co. is an Americanisation of the commercial department. I do wonder a bit about the viability of his quite public committments to increasing prices and targeting hospitality while the non-footballing services on offer (including to hospitality fans!) have been dreadful for a long time and are somehow getting worse. You'd imagine something's going to give at some point if there aren't marked improvements. He's got a lot on his remit, to say the least: even if you ignore the hospitality conflict some areas such as Villa Park and the commercial strategies have been pretty questionable in their approach. I've only done a bit of marketing in my life but I'm not sure announcing a highly controversial and divisive decision on the badge (with radio silence since then..) within the launch itself was a clever move. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also pretty sure they didn't even bother to put up the kit launch video on social media, only on VillaTV (Straying off topic for a minute, I beg of you Heck, please do something about whoever Villa outsourced the website to, it's baaad. A good website does not take 10 seconds to load an article page).

Most of the commercial issues obviously precede Heck, but going to have to improve on his first impressions pretty rapidly: his first move being to cause a palaver over the badge and his first in person meeting at the AGM seemingly terribly thought through is not the greatest of starts. We'll see. Given the state of the commercial department at the moment it can only really get better from here. You hope so, anyway.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1