Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

On 07/05/2023 at 10:05, HKP90 said:

You are seriously that worried given we've had two bad results after a run of 8 wins and two draws?

Don't confuse results, with performances.

The results have been great......some of the performances raise questions and prompt debate.

Its not a case of being ungrateful for what we have achieved in 10 games.....its more about debating, why we have failed to repeat that form since the Newcastle game.

They are observations, not necessariy criticisms.

I will tell you something else too...if we don't sign the right players to improve this team in the summer......We will be having similar conversations, next season.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I actually think it does. You have fewer options to exempt Emery from responsibility for our poor performances as you appeared to be trying to do.

Maybe he is responsible. But why are you fixated on the bad, when we've just been on a fantastic run? Let's just enjoy not being shit and 17th, and kick on next year, which was always the likely outcome. 

Just self flagillation at this point. Yeah we missed out marginally, but who expects (not wants) us to play brilliant and win every game? 

That just does not happen. We can improve and we will improve. Trust the process and enjoy the ride. If we finish 8th this season is far from failure given where we were.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

Don't confuse results, with performances.

The results have been great......some of the performances raise questions and prompt debate.

Its not a case of being ungrateful for what we ahve achieved in 10 games.....its more about debating, why we have failed to repeat that form since the Newcastle game.

They are observations, not necessariy criticisms.

I will tell you something else too...if we don't sign the right players to improve this team in the summer......We will be having similar conversations, next season.

This was the same team that Slippy G was playing and flirting with relegation. The same team minus 3 players.

That not only provides some perspective in terms of why we can't expect us to blow away teams week after week, and provides further perspective on what a brilliant run we actually put together, but also answers your question as to why we've not been able to keep the form going, since we have been unable to carry out even the most basic squad rotation and targeting of personel to opposition weaknesses (because we only have a first 11 we have to play week in and week out). 

This will obviously be addressed in the summer, as the boss has already said it will be. We tried hard, fell short, but it's been a ride, and we'll be back stronger next year.

Edited by HKP90
Typo
  • Like 1

I'm so glad all the doom and gloom has gone from yesterday, Jesus wept. Let's not start sounding too entitled now eh, they'll call us Aston United or Aston City. 

Luckily we're Aston Villa

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

This was the same team that Slippy G was playing and flirting with relegation. The same team minus 3 players.

That not only provides some perspective in terms of why we can't expect us to blow away teams week after week, and provides further perspective on what a brilliant run we actually put together, but also answers your question as to why we've been able to keep the form going, since we have been unable to carry out even the most basic squad rotation and targeting of personel to opposition weaknesses (because we only have a first 11 we have to play week in and week out). 

This will obviously be addressed in the summer, as the boss has already said it will be. We tried hard, fell short, but it's been a ride, and we'll be back stronger next year.

Its been a great ride, and I am pleased as punch with it....and yes, that's correct its not his team and to be fair, the 2 major signings under SG have missed a lot of games, so its probably more Deans team.

can I just remind you some, fans were having conversations about top 4..........This team of ours didn't need to have 1 win in the last 4, for some of us to know, UE has extracted a huge amount out of them. I will give credit where credit is due, but if we want to cruise in to the European spots, we have to be a lot better than yesterday.

Its not a case of jumping on the odd defeat, its a case of analysing games and seeing where we need to strengthen and why.....even, some of the wins, have indicated, that we can struggle in certain area's, but who wants to say that, after a win....its time to rejoice.

Losing games should be a time to reflect, not to throw the baby out with the bath water.....but a realistic view, as to what we need to move on an up.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I'm so glad all the doom and gloom has gone from yesterday, Jesus wept. Let's not start sounding too entitled now eh, they'll call us Aston United or Aston City. 

Luckily we're Aston Villa

There is no doom and gloom, but its an opportunity to reflect and not think we are far better, than we actually are.....There are 2 sides of opinion to this.

Any discerning supporter, should be able to identify, where our weaknesses are, and lets not kid ourselves, we have them......We have a top manager, so that can be ruled out.

Its not about sounding entitled either.....its about a sensible debate, as to how we can improve, moving forward........we are champions league calibre vs we are dog poo......because we are neither.

That yesterday, will not take us anywhere.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

There is no doom and gloom, but its an opportunity to reflect and not think we are far better, than we actually are.....There are 2 sides of opinion to this.

Any discerning supporter, should be able to identify, where our weaknesses are, and lets not kid ourselves, we have them......We have a top manager, so that can be ruled out.

Its not about sounding entitled either.....its about a sensible debate, as to how we can improve, moving forward........we are champions league calibre vs we are dog poo......because we are neither.

That yesterday, will not take us anywhere.

Wasn't aimed at you bud, your comments usually make for good balanced reading. 

Emery has so far taken us from the complete and utter mess that we were to fighting for Europe, in 5 months, with largely the same players and with several injuries. I've always been of the opinion that Europe this season would be too early so I'm not overly bothered if we do finish 8th.

The summer and next season is where we make our next move. I believe he will be able to attract the right players and get the best out of them. The future is brighter than it has been for a long time and a few performances aside the last 5 months have been up there for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Wasn't aimed at you bud, your comments usually make for good balanced reading. 

Emery has so far taken us from the complete and utter mess that we were to fighting for Europe, in 5 months, with largely the same players and with several injuries. I've always been of the opinion that Europe this season would be too early so I'm not overly bothered if we do finish 8th.

The summer and next season is where we make our next move. I believe he will be able to attract the right players and get the best out of them. The future is brighter than it has been for a long time and a few performances aside the last 5 months have been up there for me. 

No Probs.

Sorry, if I was butting in......just wanted to give my pennyworth.

• Like 1

On another day we could easily have won that game, Buendia shot, well saved , Watkins header, unlucky it was straight at the keeper and Mings clearance when faced with an open goal. Their goal was well taken but Mings was a fraction away from it. Sometimes you just lose games.

We need a bigger squad  and more grit in the midfield, we have some lovely interplay but struggle when we are closed down quickly,

Our wingers offered nothing tbh, they both like to cut in and this just crowds the middle of the field. Would be nice if we had a winger who gets to the byline and crosses. We was the better team and this is progress from our home game against them when the out played us for most of the game despite us nicking a draw. 

15 minutes ago, tinker said:

On another day we could easily have won that game, Buendia shot, well saved , Watkins header, unlucky it was straight at the keeper and Mings clearance when faced with an open goal. Their goal was well taken but Mings was a fraction away from it. Sometimes you just lose games.

We need a bigger squad  and more grit in the midfield, we have some lovely interplay but struggle when we are closed down quickly,

Our wingers offered nothing tbh, they both like to cut in and this just crowds the middle of the field. Would be nice if we had a winger who gets to the byline and crosses. We was the better team and this is progress from our home game against them when the out played us for most of the game despite us nicking a draw. 

Ash flashed one past the post late on too, could have been 4-1 to us with a bit of luck (and a competent referee).

The game was always going to be a tough one and Wolves will always raise their game when Villa come to town.

On the balance of play we were unlucky not to get more out of the game but we move on now with two home games in the next three.

To progress next season we need to stop dropping points against these bottom 8 teams flirting with relegation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mister_a said:

Ash flashed one past the post late on too, could have been 4-1 to us with a bit of luck (and a competent referee).

And the handball fiasco, its not time to start panicking, we have improved beyond any reasonable expectations and will continue to improve by becoming more consistent.

From the complete shambles Gerrard created, Mings, McGinn, Watkins,  Buendia have all been transformed, this is over 6 months. 

• Like 1

Can't believe that Wolves out of all teams crushed our European dreams.

Absolutely pathetic.

Wolves will go to Man Utd now and absolutely throw the game, showing minimal effort. Bunch of f***ing words removed.

We are their cup final. Every year. The level of obsession they have over us is criminal.

Edited by Pinebro

17 hours ago, tinker said:

Clear as daylight.

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Can't believe that Wolves out of all teams crushed our European dreams.

Absolutely pathetic.

Wolves will go to Man Utd now and absolutely throw the game, showing minimal effort. Bunch of f***ing words removed.

We are their cup final. Every year. The level of obsession they have over us is criminal.

All the more reason, that insipid offering, shouldn't not have been.......If that had of been against the Blues, the reaction, would be different.

It was in complete contrast to the Newcastle game......The chant should be "They play when they want"......McGinn was like a beast against Dan Burn, and then players within himself for the next 4 games.

It was Limp, despite the possession stats....sure missed opportunities, cost us, but that can happen, when intensity is absent.

19 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Wolves got lucky with that goal, I thought Emi would reach it, but no. Well done, but usually no goal.

It was well executed.....I thought JJ could have done more to disrupt Toti.

You simply have to get something on goal attempts to put them off......This was evident in the Newcastle v Arsenal game.

If we make half hearted, limp attempts to block or disrupt.....these goals happen.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

All the more reason, that insipid offering, shouldn't not have been.......If that had of been against the Blues, the reaction, would be different.

It was in complete contrast to the Newcastle game......The chant should be "They play when they want"......McGinn was like a beast against Dan Burn, and then players within himself for the next 4 games.

It was Limp, despite the possession stats....sure missed opportunities, cost us, but that can happen, when intensity is absent.

I can't remember their keeper having to make too many saves.

This so called domination imo is overrated.

It was quite a boring game with very little chances.

On 07/05/2023 at 02:14, av1 said:

Ok whatever, what about making them look like prime Barcelona? That’s just posting for effect because it’s utterly rubbish. 

Alright, I have calmed down.

My actual point stands. The Wolves defence was shit, but lucky for them, our ability to score was even worse. I can see how Brighton managed to put 6 past them. The thing is with football, if you don't score goals, you can't win.

Yes, my Barcelona quip was a bit over the top, and I should have used a better comparison or tried to be funnier, but posting for effect?

Yeah, whatever champ.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â