The Not Villa Summer Transfer Window 2023

His Name Is Death

He's not very good on the ball. Or, not good enough for the top teams I should say. Positionally he's really good, and can tackle well, but you'd want a bit more than that for 80-90 mil you'd think.

Look at Kamara, or even Luiz. They must be worth 150m then going by that because Kamara in particular is just way better at pretty much everything you'd want in that position. If teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are paying that much it's a good thing for teams like us and Brighton, with the caveat being that we need to continue making good signings ourselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

He's not very good on the ball. Or, not good enough for the top teams I should say. Positionally he's really good, and can tackle well, but you'd want a bit more than that for 80-90 mil you'd think.

Look at Kamara, or even Luiz. They must be worth 150m then going by that because Kamara in particular is just way better at pretty much everything you'd want in that position. If teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are paying that much it's a good thing for teams like us and Brighton, with the caveat being that we need to continue making good signings ourselves.

Only if they were called Bobby Kameron and Doug Lewis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yep, it's hard to imagine arsenal failed to get Luiz last summer so they go for rice this summer

They play the role completely differently

Not saying rice isn't good at what he does or isn't a good player I just don't think top teams and top managers play with that kind of old fashioned holding midfielder

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Palace are a good transfer window away from being a threat for European places.

Well they're losing Zaha so one injury to Eze and they'll be really struggling for creativity again. And the CF options remain mediocre so think they'll just have the same season they seemingly had for llast decade.

Interesting Sullivan mentioned replacing Rice with a few players and we all know the dangers of that transfer model although sometimes all you can do. I'd be amazed if Ward Prowse and Conor Gallagher aren't playing for West Ham by September 1st.

• Like 2

Whats the general consensus on here regarding Rice versus Kamara. Personally I think he is a really good player but I wouldnt take Rice over Bouba. Yet there is a £92m gap in transfer fee. Bonkers stuff really

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Whats the general consensus on here regarding Rice versus Kamara. Personally I think he is a really good player but I wouldnt take Rice over Bouba. Yet there is a £92m gap in transfer fee. Bonkers stuff really

To be fair if we were to sell Kamara now we'd be looking for £60-70m (I hope he stays here for many years). Rice has a higher reputation, not necessarily being a better player. 

There isn't a 92m gap in the fee - we just got him for free, a player usually does that to finish a contract and receive a higher wage/sign on bonus. 

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Rice is better at breaking up play

Boubs is better on the ball

I might be wrong here but to me rice looks like someone who started out at CB and then moved forward, modern DMCs like Boubs, Luiz and especially Rodri who is best one in the league look like midfielders who have dropped back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

£92m for Rice and £52m for Ward-Prowse. I know English players come with a tax but it’s honestly silly season. 

Club are entitled to charge what they want for their better players, if the buyer don't like it they can look elsewhere.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Club are entitled to charge what they want for their better players, if the buyer don't like it they can look elsewhere.

Surprised there's not been more free agents already, was expecting tge trend to be like you say resulting in more free transfers because clubs won't sell for sensible prices because they don't have to

Instead clubs just pay the daft prices

Apparently Liverpool want to add JWP as well as MacAllister, to their summer spending but are willing to play a waiting game with Southampton, because they want £50m. Money is so tight up there isn't it? Hopefully someone will beat them to the signing, they don't like paying the fee for the players they want do they?   

18 minutes ago, John said:

Apparently Liverpool want to add JWP as well as MacAllister, to their summer spending but are willing to play a waiting game with Southampton, because they want £50m. Money is so tight up there isn't it? Hopefully someone will beat them to the signing, they don't like paying the fee for the players they want do they?   

That's how they operate, they'll now sit back for a few weeks while the media cook up stories of how Southampton are unfairly denying him of a dream move and the general consensus will be he's over valued (he is to be fair) putting pressure on Southampton to reduce their asking price

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's how they operate, they'll now sit back for a few weeks while the media cook up stories of how Southampton are unfairly denying him of a dream move and the general consensus will be he's over valued (he is to be fair) putting pressure on Southampton to reduce their asking price

Heard for year's from people who have worked closely with the club that the owners are incredibly stingy and profit orientated. 

3 hours ago, John said:

According to the fans they are still spending the Coutinho money as well 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3