2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/23 at 18:00

This was a team performance ... minimal individual errors, maximal team effectiveness.

Martínez: 7  Generally a very good evening, one suicide pass to Kamara though. CLEAN SHEET!
Young: 5 OK not bad per se, he seemed to struggle a bit though with the pass up the line ... probably rusty
Konsa: 7 Solid, did what needed to be done
Mings: 7? Did not get a sense he was tested, which says something in its own right
Moreno: 6 OK But not spectacular
McGinn: 7+ Worked hard not many giveaways, beauty of a goal. Not silky smooth but effective.
Kamara: 6 Rusty and yet silky smooth a good comeback game
Luiz: 7- Did what needed doing ... I like him
Ramsey: 7? Was involved so much in this game, my man of the match but I get the other votes
Buendía: 7 As usual worked his socks off
Watkins: 7 What can I say, nicely taken goal

Bailey 6 OK
Digne: 6 OK
Dendoncker: 6 OK
Chambers: 6 OK

Emery: Was (made the team) prepared for this match.

Referee: Got the major calls right

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think we are going to be a lot closer to qualifying for the champions league next season than most people will expect. 

I'm putting a cheeky tenner on it.

3 hours ago, weedman said:

As someone who has missed 2 flights home due to being a drunk idiot, look on the bright side, you'll always have a funny story to tell people!

To be fair that was me in November doing the same flight I'm doing today. Had to get a later flight via Munich with Luthansea. Cost me a small fortune.

4 hours ago, robby b said:

I'm so grateful to Unai and the team for four wins and a draw from our last five games, that is absolutely brilliant! 🙏 

But when you look at the stats we really did ride our luck and were very fortunate that Chelsea were as wasteful as they were today. To put it in perspective, they hadn't had so many shots (27) without scoring in a PL match since 2014! I hope we won't make a habit of conceding more than 20 attempts, that probably wouldn't be good for my heart, following the stats as I do in the BBC live text.

Anyway, depsite that side of things, well done Martinez and the defence for sonehow keeping an other clean sheet. Thanks Ginny for crashing a shot off the bar and then going one better for your first goal of the season! Ollie, thanks for being ab absolute ledge this year!

If you just look at the stats it shows they dominated. The reality is that's simply not true. They had alot of the ball but it was never controlled football. It was alot of long balls down the line for Chilwell and James to cross into... Nobody. After an initial burst from them we were great once we scored. At no point did we look wobbly.

• Like 2

John McGinn MOTM, what a turnaround in form from him of late, well done John - back to the player we loved in the championship! Thought Moreno was great, Emi and the rest of the defence too. Luiz reeks class as always and Ramsey had his best game under Emery so far. Another top performance by Watkins, good stat that only Salah, Kane and Son have scored more PL goals than him since he joined Villa.

Loving what Unai is doing and gutted I can’t make the Forest game next weekend!

• Like 4

Usually I don’t like away games at the Bridge. Every time we play there we get beaten every time. For once that was a fantastic game, what a finish from John McGinn.

Loved the way our players got in their opponent's faces, as soon as they started to get anywhere near our penalty area. They had a real "They shall not pass" attitude about them. A terrific all round, hard working, team performance. A superb clean sheet and we were a real threat on the break. Yesterday, was us doing our "Rope a Dope" everyone deserved a MOTM award and it was a real joy to win at the Bridge again (McLeish was our boss the last time we won there:)). I also loved the fans rendition of that old classic "and it's Aston Villa, Aston Villa FC, we're by far the greatest the world's ever seen". Last game on MOTD? Really? You're having a tin bath.....

image.jpeg.2520b8f676adb54edfde5f276bb5c0e7.jpeg   image.jpeg.70e34e2e5938aeb39e3ee4e565f81e0b.jpeg We floated like a butterfly yesterday and stung like a bee! :flag: 

• Like 2

Despite the great result yesterday, did we look somewhat suspect defensively? If we were playing a team full of confidence would they have put those chances away? My chelsea mate who was at the game yesterday said they should have been 5-0 up by the time we scored our first (possibly an exaggeration)… you look at the chances Mudryk had and the Kante one from the official highlights… we were torn apart for those… 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 1

We definitely rode our luck, and while for much of their 20+ shots we held them at bay to potshots from a distance, they did carve us open a few times. 

Them missing sitters and McGinn scoring one he had absolutely no right to was the story of the game really, and as much as the plan may have been for us to sit back and soak up the pressure, you don't plan for them to miss some of the chances they did.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Despite the great result yesterday, did we look somewhat suspect defensively? If we were playing a team full of confidence would they have put those chances away? My chelsea mate who was at the game yesterday said they should have been 5-0 up by the time we scored our first (possibly an exaggeration)… you look at the chances Mudryk had and the Kante one from the office highlights… we were torn apart for those… 

Well yeah that’s definitely an exaggeration.  Most of their chances came between 1-0 and 2-0.  We’d had the better before we took the lead.

• Like 1

A game of key moments really.

Ollie should have taken his first golden opportunity, but didn't.

Myruk or whatever definitely should have taken his golden opportunity, but didn't.

Ollie took his second.

That allows us the play counter, twice JJ could have slipped Ollie in, but unfortunately didn't get his head up in time to spot him.

We hit the bar, John scored a great goal which on another day gets blocked.

Fine margins, but I love how we're so in control of games.  Not necessarily in possession, but we allow teams to come at us, get into a really good shape, get the ball and the. Try and do something.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

This was a team performance ... minimal individual errors, maximal team effectiveness.

Martínez: 7  Generally a very good evening, one suicide pass to Kamara though. CLEAN SHEET!
Young: 5 OK not bad per se, he seemed to struggle a bit though with the pass up the line ... probably rusty
Konsa: 7 Solid, did what needed to be done
Mings: 7? Did not get a sense he was tested, which says something in its own right
Moreno: 6 OK But not spectacular
McGinn: 7+ Worked hard not many giveaways, beauty of a goal. Not silky smooth but effective.
Kamara: 6 Rusty and yet silky smooth a good comeback game
Luiz: 7- Did what needed doing ... I like him
Ramsey: 7? Was involved so much in this game, my man of the match but I get the other votes
Buendía: 7 As usual worked his socks off
Watkins: 7 What can I say, nicely taken goal

Bailey 6 OK
Digne: 6 OK
Dendoncker: 6 OK
Chambers: 6 OK

Emery: Was (made the team) prepared for this match.

Referee: Got the major calls right

I think these are harsh. McGinn was a 9 for me with Martinez a solid 8 and Moreno a 6? I thought he did very well and would be a 7/8. 

• Like 3

Watched the game late last night as I was out and missed it live...

Under some pressure for large periods but defended so well, soaking up pressure and looking dangerous in attack.

Martinez made a couple of wonderful saves.

All defenders were brilliant as we're the whole team.

Watkins worked so hard and his finish was sublime.

Great to see McGinn playing well, still needs to improve his passing though.

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think these are harsh. McGinn was a 9 for me with Martinez a solid 8 and Moreno a 6? I thought he did very well and would be a 7/8. 

If it wasn't for the odd wayward pass by SJM, I would have gave him a 10.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â