UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think the plan was always to tax EVS. It was just a plan to encourage take up. 

Now EVs are approaching price proximity with ICE vehicles it's no longer needed. 

Price wise they may be similar but residuals are in the bin though. Lots of leasing companies taking a massive haircut when disposing of them. Some are only surviving as the residuals on ICE are strong. Lots of de-fleeting of EVs happening now.

Teething problems are to be expected though as the tech is still in its infancy. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Price wise they may be similar but residuals are in the bin though. Lots of leasing companies taking a massive haircut when disposing of them. Some are only surviving as the residuals on ICE are strong. Lots of de-fleeting of EVs happening now.

Teething problems are to be expected though as the tech is still in its infancy. 

Meanwhile the press write countless stories saying how expensive EVs are and that no one can afford them.🤔

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Meanwhile the press write countless stories saying how expensive EVs are and that no one can afford them.🤔

They are more expensive if you are factoring in depreciation. Cost is more than sticker price.

Just now, Xela said:

They are more expensive if you are factoring in depreciation. Cost is more than sticker price.

Yes, I'm talking about the second hand ones. If residuals are through the floor people can easily afford one. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Yes, I'm talking about the second hand ones. If residuals are through the floor people can easily afford one. 

Absolutely, you can get a lot of EV for your money second hand. As long as you are ok with slightly dated tech. then bargains galore.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know a few people that have been jumping in the second hand EV market. A mate just snagged a very smart Jaguar ipace for a bargain price.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

. As long as you are ok with slightly dated tech. 

This is part of the problem. Each new vehicle is a massive leap forwards so people are holding off buying for longer in order to get the better version. 

And constant press trash talk destroying confidence in them. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Absolutely, you can get a lot of EV for your money second hand. As long as you are ok with slightly dated tech. then bargains galore.

and the risk that it could get a battery or EDU fault that renders it a write off because nobody can repair them. This is what has put me off picking up a nice used EV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

and the risk that it could get a battery or EDU fault that renders it a write off because nobody can repair them. This is what has put me off picking up a nice used EV. 

Most batteries have a very long warranty. And there is absolutely no identifiable issues with EV batteries regularly failing anyway. You're far more likely to buy an ICE vehicle and have the engine written off. Does that put you off buying an ICE vehicle? 

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It was canned because of spiralling costs, then government changed and said we had even less money than previously thought and deeply unpopular and painful cuts were needed… now they plan to bring it back?

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Wasn't the story at the time that the tories were going to immediately flog off the land so that the decision couldn't be reversed, did that never come to fruition?

and the money was going to be instead spent on fixings the roads. So what remained of the budget for HS2 has theoretically gone so it’ll be even more expensive to start it again.

There must be so many fingers in the pie here for it to be this expensive. It’s no surprise we don’t get anything done as the costs quickly become obscene 

The total cost of upgrading a six mile (10km) section of the A9 in the Highlands is now expected to run to £308m - £111m more than originally estimated, according to a Scottish government report.

bbc

Nearly a third of a billion to upgrade 6 miles of existing road.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â