UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

They don't, that's the point of them, the lamp post is closer to the car than the house, the footpath is left clear

Well, sure, but the cables tend to be pretty long, and can and do dangle across the street even if the lamppost is quite near the kerb. Not such a problem while they're relatively small in number, and it'll be a non-issue if the pavement is spacious, but up and down tight terraced streets with wheelie bins on one side and cars already parked up on kerbs, adding dozens of cables along the street is just one more pain in the arse making residential streets difficult to navigate for people with wheelchairs and prams.

It's an improvement over the bellends I see running the cables from their property fully over the path, I grant you.

You did make me realise we probably won't get them in our area as the lampposts are set back at the far side of the pavement so it'd mean relocating all of the lampposts. 

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

We need better public transport, less requirement to have to drive and things to be within walking distance.

It's the model of everyone driving everywhere that is broken.

I thought 15 minute cities were a Marxist plot?

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine wireless charging will become a thing for EVs eventually as well. 

Not sure how that will look for street parking/charging, but for houses I'd imagine something in your drive so when you park your car is automatically charging will be a thing. Don't know how that will translate to the street but Ireckon long term cables won't really be a thing for EVs

Probably not as far away as we think. We've currently got a small trial of wireless chargers for some taxis in Nottingham, they can charge at the taxi rank while they wait for a passenger which seems pretty smart. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Probably not as far away as we think. We've currently got a small trial of wireless chargers for some taxis in Nottingham, they can charge at the taxi rank while they wait for a passenger which seems pretty smart. 

Ooooh one of my fave EV stories.

The first fleet of EV buses in Cardiff were recharged by roadside diesel generators.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For personal transport there are models.

image.png.8892a86796bedd4d9b7fe855e0e71834.pngScreenshot2024-10-15at12_53_21.png.a5cc272d53f1c926b5fd8ac83c98e183.png

Fast chargers near shops and bigger roads (not a posh part of town btw),  lamp posts on residential streets.

Screenshot2024-10-15at12_46_20.png.81773b302b88af9574299df07061c9cd.png

Council bike shelters around flats so electric bikes are viable for those not on ground level or without a garden.

Screenshot2024-10-15at13_02_37.png.3730aa872b5412b8f96f9b68c77aa49e.png

Electric transport run by private interests where they don't enjoy monopolies. This is outside a train station.

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine wireless charging will become a thing for EVs eventually as well. 

Not sure how that will look for street parking/charging, but for houses I'd imagine something in your drive so when you park your car is automatically charging will be a thing. Don't know how that will translate to the street but Ireckon long term cables won't really be a thing for EVs

I saw a prototype of this at work a couple of years back. It was a big round pad that you just park the car above but they said eventually they’ll be integrated into the driveway / under the block paving.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

I saw a prototype of this at work a couple of years back. It was a big round pad that you just park the car above but they said eventually they’ll be integrated into the driveway / under the block paving.

Yeah I thought as much

I imagine they'll become standard on new builds before long

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine they'll become standard on new builds before long

Not unless mandated. House builders won't put shit in their houses unless they have to.

I find it astonishing that all new houses don't come with a full complement of solar panels as standard and designed for heat pumps from scratch. 

These things really should be mandated, putting a gas boiler in a brand new house when we're facing extinction is beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Would it really be a good thing for wireless chargers to be standard in homes?

Wireless charging is surely less efficient than physically connecting, so to me it makes sense to put them in places with fairly quick turnarounds so you can squeeze in a quick charge, but if you're pulling up and parking for hours, just plug a cable in and make better use of the grid

Just now, Davkaus said:

Would it really be a good thing for wireless chargers to be standard in homes?

Wireless charging is surely less efficient than physically connecting, so to me it makes sense to put them in places with fairly quick turnarounds so you can squeeze in a quick charge, but if you're pulling up and parking for hours, just plug a cable in and make better use of the grid

I think wireless charging for cars is probably a long way off. Hopefully by the time that becomes more standard we're producing oodles and oodles of dirt cheap electricity and a bit of loss won't matter. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think wireless charging for cars is probably a long way off. Hopefully by the time that becomes more standard we're producing oodles and oodles of dirt cheap electricity and a bit of loss won't matter. 

Yeah, dirt cheap electric.

One of the selling points of nuclear was it would make energy too cheap to bother metering.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, dirt cheap electric.

One of the selling points of nuclear was it would make energy too cheap to bother metering.

Well no, nuclear was never going to be cheap. Anyone who said it was, was lying. 

But wind and solar and eventually wave and tidal power ARE going to be dirt cheap.

And solar panels are getting more and more efficient and cheaper each year. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Well no, nuclear was never going to be cheap. Anyone who said it was, was lying. 

But wind and solar and eventually wave and tidal power ARE going to be dirt cheap.

And solar panels are getting more and more efficient and cheaper each year. 

It was the government that lied about nuclear. I’d find it difficult to believe something on the grid will ever be truly cheap, it’s just not in the interest of the provider network. Things you can use to get off the grid, that is the potential game changer. Cheap efficient and on your own property, that’s when it properly destabilises the industry.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Ooooh one of my fave EV stories.

The first fleet of EV buses in Cardiff were recharged by roadside diesel generators.

And yet people think hybrids are a good idea. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â