UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

https://www.energylivenews.com/2024/10/14/macquarie-unveils-20bn-investment-plans-for-the-uk/

Macquarie unveils £20bn investment plans for the UK

Macquarie Group has announced plans to support the rollout of fast-charging electric vehicle infrastructure across the UK

Macquarie Group has unveiled a new initiative to expand electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure across the UK, as part of a wider £20 billion investment plan.

A key part of this investment is the installation of 650 fast-charging points at most Roadchef service locations across the UK.

The facilities will also feature 9MW of solar energy capacity, helping to power the charging points with renewable energy

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Roadchef

Ah yes, they are fitting EV charging points in all the motorway service stations sane rational people avoid.

I just checked and its like my personal almanac of keep driving to the next one

Sandbach.

Strensham

Watford Gap

Magor

Killington

Chester 

May the smell of overflowing non functional toilets be with you.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

They do appear to be expecting an awful lot of people to have set out without a full charge and then sit around waiting to pay service station prices.

Company car drivers / sales reps I guess.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Company car drivers / sales reps I guess.

Yes, I guess.

I did enough miles for enough years with a company credit card, I don’t think I used a motorway service station more than once or twice in a decade. But you do see the guys in their Teslas sat there doing paperwork or chatting on their phones so I guess there is a market for that.

Motorway petrol is currently more than 50p a litre more expensive than town petrol? But you don’t see that many cars using it. If charging is a similar premium and hundreds of people are going to be using them, it might be time to buy some shares.

ive been an electric car owner for a few years, i think i use Exeter about 5 or 6 times a year when heading to cornwall. 

Public car charging is so expensive, the vast majority will do the minimum they can get away with. 

The benefit of placing it in service stations is they have space and infrastructure to support multiple chargers. Nothing worse than driving somewhere and finding someone else using the charger, or a broken charger.

31 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

ive been an electric car owner for a few years, i think i use Exeter about 5 or 6 times a year when heading to cornwall. 

Public car charging is so expensive, the vast majority will do the minimum they can get away with. 

The benefit of placing it in service stations is they have space and infrastructure to support multiple chargers. Nothing worse than driving somewhere and finding someone else using the charger, or a broken charger.

They are going to have to get public charging cheaper if people are going to adopt EVs though. 

Only something like 55% of drivers have access to home charging.

So there are 45% of people who just can't benefit from super cheap home charging. 

OK motorway services are the ultimate rip off but I understand even slower in town chargers are still more expensive than petrol. 

This is maybe because of the upfront costs of buying and installating they chargers and connections to power grids. 

Maybe prices will lower as time goes but but certainly whilst an EV makes sense for me with my home drive, it won't make sense for a lot of others even when we get to 400-500 miles of range in a battery. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They are going to have to get public charging cheaper if people are going to adopt EVs though. 

So there are 45% of people who just can't benefit from super cheap home charging. 

OK motorway services are the ultimate rip off but I understand even slower in town chargers are still more expensive than petrol. 

This is maybe because of the upfront costs of buying and installating they chargers and connections to power grids. 

Maybe prices will lower as time goes but but certainly whilst an EV makes sense for me with my home drive, it won't make sense for a lot of others even when we get to 400-500 miles of range in a battery. 

More lampost infrastructure required.

It’s going to be a little bit Wild West for a while until some decent solution is found for people with terraced houses or flats or whatever where they have street parking. Even just domestically, there must be plenty of homes where there are 2 or 3 cars needing a charge. So someone is either installing 3 chargers, or getting up at 1:00am to swap over. It’ll be fascinating, because at the same time just sticking with petrol could very quickly not be a plan, if there is a tipping point where petrol sales become unviable so the stations close or the price goes even further north.

This could have quite a weird impact on house prices, with garages and driveways suddenly a lot more than just a nice to have. Plus planning under a lot of pressure to allow front gardens to become driveways. Luckily, there’s sufficient red tape built in to the planning system to keep the natural soakaways and prevent localised flash flooding.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hoping to electrocute the dogs before they get us? 

Really taking off up the road from me. Lots of people charging their cars from Lamposts now

On-street electric vehicle charging points

In 2023, 300 on-street electric vehicle (EV) charge points were introduced in Liverpool boosting the number to 450. The council has also committed to establishing a total of 2,000 EV points in the city by 2027.

With the locations chosen by residents and businesses, the rollout of the points by ubitricity aims of ensure Liverpool has the third-largest public charging network in the UK after London and Coventry.

TheOn-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme is paid for with a government grant that covers 60% of the cost, and the remaining 40% is funded by ubitricity.

Liverpool.gov

I do slag them off a lot (with good reason) but this is a good thing that they've done.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't have a decent alternative but I'm not particularly looking forward to a future of charging cables dangling all over the pavement

There are a couple of decent ideas around gratings in pavements so the cable isn’t a trip hazard. But that does sort of presume you’ve managed to park close to your own house.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

agree, public charging needs more support. I dont think motorway services are the right place to fix this. They probably need to target workplaces, car parks, supermarkets. Places where its normal to leave your car for a period of time. 

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't have a decent alternative but I'm not particularly looking forward to a future of charging cables dangling all over the pavement

They don't, that's the point of them, the lamp post is closer to the car than the house, the footpath is left clear

I imagine wireless charging will become a thing for EVs eventually as well. 

Not sure how that will look for street parking/charging, but for houses I'd imagine something in your drive so when you park your car is automatically charging will be a thing. Don't know how that will translate to the street but Ireckon long term cables won't really be a thing for EVs

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â