UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

• 2 weeks later...

Inevitable and probably logical given the spend so far.

But yet more proof that any London to somewhere project should always always start at the somewhere end.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Inevitable and probably logical given the spend so far.

But yet more proof that any London to somewhere project should always always start at the somewhere end.

There must be some money left over from fixing all the potholes 

https://www.energylivenews.com/2024/10/11/uk-secures-225m-investment-for-teesside-renewables-industry/

UK secures £225m investment for Teesside renewables industry
The UK Government has secured a £225 million investment for SeAH Wind UK's offshore wind technology factory in Teesside

The UK Government has announced a new £225 million investment in Teesside’s renewables sector, made possible through collaboration with Korean investors.

UK Export Finance (UKEF) and the Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (K-Sure) have guaranteed the financing, enabling SeAH Steel Holding to expand its offshore wind technology factory near Redcar.

With this new funding, SeAH Wind UK’s total investment at the Teesworks Freeport site now reaches £900 million.

The factory is crucial for producing wind monopiles, the foundations for offshore wind turbines, which are essential for the growth of renewable energy worldwide.

The project is expected to create up to 750 jobs by 2027, marking a significant step in developing the offshore wind and renewables industry in North-East England.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2024/10/11/iberdrola-doubles-uk-energy-investment/

Iberdrola doubles UK energy investment
The energy giant plans to double its UK investments to £24 billion between 2024-2028, aiming to enhance the UK’s energy infrastructure

The new plan will see the company increase its commitment to the UK, with an investment of up to £24 billion between 2024 and 2028, doubling its previous £12 billion target for the same period.

The increased investment will primarily target the UK’s electricity transmission and distribution networks.

About two-thirds of the total investment will focus on these areas

Additionally, ScottishPower is advancing major renewable energy projects, including the East Anglia 3 offshore wind farm currently under construction, and the East Anglia 2 wind farm, a £4 billion project awarded a contract in the recent AR6 auction.

The combined capacity of these projects is expected to provide green energy for approximately one million homes.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2024/10/10/uk-launches-scheme-to-boost-investment-in-long-duration-energy-storage/

UK launches scheme to boost investment in long duration energy storage
The UK Government has launched a new investment support scheme to encourage the development of long duration energy storage facilities

This scheme seeks to address barriers that have hindered the development of new storage facilities for nearly 40 years, such as high upfront costs, despite lower operating costs for these projects.

Examples include pumped storage hydro systems, which store energy by pumping water into reservoirs to be released later.

By providing a steady supply of clean, home-grown energy, these projects can enhance the UK’s energy security and shield consumers from fluctuations in global gas prices.

Energy Minister Michael Shanks said: “We are wasting no time in unlocking Britain’s vast renewable potential by expanding wind and solar power.

“We’re reversing a legacy that has seen no new long duration storage built for 40 years – and taking steps to unleash private investment in both established and new technologies.”

TfL have awarded pre construction contracts to start the 4 stop extension of the Bakerloo Line.

Estimated at around £6.5 Billion at 2017 prices.

Construction expected to be complete and stations open in 2040.

The benefits of this project to these areas will be tremendous and will be felt by communities across Lewisham, Southwark and beyond

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

TfL have awarded pre construction contracts to start the 4 stop extension of the Bakerloo Line.

Estimated at around £6.5 Billion at 2017 prices.

Construction expected to be complete and stations open in 2040.

And all funded by TFL, which gets no central government funding!

1 hour ago, blandy said:

And all funded by TFL, which gets no central government funding!

?

Not sure I’ve said any different? Although the article suggests council funding and ‘some level of government support for a capital project’ but I thought that sounded a bit thin. I’m not aware of any political slant from that website, he’s usually pretty neutral. 

I even ignored the momentum created by decades of other investments. I was just viewing it as another stand alone one off unique situation not linked to my usual hobby horse.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

?

Not sure I’ve said any different? Although the article suggests council funding and ‘some level of government support for a capital project’ but I thought that sounded a bit thin. I’m not aware of any political slant from that website, he’s usually pretty neutral. 

I even ignored the momentum created by decades of other investments. I was just viewing it as another stand alone one off unique situation not linked to my usual hobby horse.

Sure. I know you didn't. Reason I posted it was not due to your "usual hobby horse", but because it's something that's changed, or different. Quite a bit of the South East's infrastructure upgrades have been funded by Government in the past. I'm wondering whether it's a kind of direction of travel, excuse the pun, with the (hoped for) current Government's plans for sorting out the mess that is much of the transport and other infrastructure in the UK - I mean they've been on about giving more powers over decisions to mayors and regions and Scotland, Wales and NI and stuff (which seems like a good thing), but then might be expecting those people or bodies to generate funds or find investment from "not the Government" quite a lot. There's that Sue Gray one, who is now the sort of Tsar of liaising with these folks to do, er, stuff.

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sure. I know you didn't. Reason I posted it was not due to your "usual hobby horse", but because it's something that's changed, or different. Quite a bit of the South East's infrastructure upgrades have been funded by Government in the past. I'm wondering whether it's a kind of direction of travel, excuse the pun, with the (hoped for) current Government's plans for sorting out the mess that is much of the transport and other infrastructure in the UK - I mean they've been on about giving more powers over decisions to mayors and regions and Scotland, Wales and NI and stuff (which seems like a good thing), but then might be expecting those people or bodies to generate funds or find investment from "not the Government" quite a lot. There's that Sue Gray one, who is now the sort of Tsar of liaising with these folks to do, er, stuff.

She skipped the first meeting, took a day’s leave.

She’s not a tsar though, she’s an envoy, her actual title apparently. Which rather makes you wonder what the Welsh Secretary is for? 

Just now, bickster said:

I see there's some sort of a plan being put together for a fast West Midlands to Manchester Rail link that most definitely won't be called HS2 at all, no siree Bob will they use that name

I think they had a fairly basic review of the state of things once HS2 got potted for north of Birmingham and it had left it worse than the current offering?

They appear to be about to announce this fast link to Manchester and this extension to and redevelopment of Euston.

The country's been run to make a handful of people a shitload of money, but major construction projects will get the arse torn out of them anyway by the contractors.

Both of them at it and you get what we got, utterly turned over.

• Like 3

Apparently a blackout prevention warning was sent from government to UK electricity generating companies today. The sector is battling ‘low winds’…

“We made a wasteland, and called it peac… Net Zero.” ~ Ed Miliband.

36052694-90EB-4230-8848-78DD0CECF0EE.jpeg

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I see there's some sort of a plan being put together for a fast West Midlands to Manchester Rail link that most definitely won't be called HS2 at all, no siree Bob will they use that name

HS3?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Apparently a blackout prevention warning was sent from government to UK electricity generating companies today. The sector is battling ‘low winds’…

“We made a wasteland, and called it peac… Net Zero.” ~ Ed Miliband.

36052694-90EB-4230-8848-78DD0CECF0EE.jpeg

A warning of low winds, and a shortage of nuclear capacity due to outages at Sizewell B. It's the first time we've had such a warning since...2022.

How could Ed Miliband do this to us :(

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

The HS2 work north of Birmingham and past Lichfield never stopped, despite the announcements. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A warning of low winds, and a shortage of nuclear capacity. It's the first time we've had such a warning since...2022.

How could Ed Miliband do this to us :(

I think most people were pleased to see the back of the Tories, but where is nuclear in Ed’s plan to modernize the energy sector? Even the Tories understood that SMRs are vital to creating a baseload of power that doesn’t depend on either the weather or hydrocarbons. 

Windmills won’t do the job. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â