UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

By the way. 

For  all the HS2 haters out there who think its a waste of money despite the enormous economic, transport and Levelling up benefits it will bring, have you seen the latest cost estimates for Hinckley Point C power station? 

It's never been about the projects being undesirable, or even essential.

Wanting anything from this government is like wishing on a monkey's paw.

• 3 weeks later...

HS2 'pause' designed to save money is costing the taxpayer more than £360m, leaked govt briefing reveals

In March, the government said work on the leg between Birmingham and Crewe would have to be put on hold because of the impact of inflation and in April the Transport Secretary confirmed that work has also been stopped for two years at London's Euston station.

SKy News

Such a shock, oh and the rest!

• 1 month later...

HS2

Infrastructure and Projects Authority report and review. To paraphrase, they’re not convinced its achievable, don’t know how much it will cost, don’t know when it might be finished, or what it is for.

Other than that, all good.

The IPA describes itself as the government's centre of expertise for infrastructure and major projects, and reports to the Cabinet Office and HM Treasury.

Under the IPA's grading system, a red rating implies: "Successful delivery of the project appears to be unachievable."

The rating also means there are "major issues with project definition, schedule, budget, quality and/or benefits delivery, which at this stage do not appear to be manageable or resolvable".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

HS2

Infrastructure and Projects Authority report and review. To paraphrase, they’re not convinced its achievable, don’t know how much it will cost, don’t know when it might be finished, or what it is for.

Other than that, all good.

Pretty much every major UK infrastructure project is red on their list at some time, in fact most of the time. 

Crossrail 2 was red till a couple of weeks before it opened. 

It basically means The UK is very very bad at managing infrastructure projects. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

It basically means The UK is very very bad at managing infrastructure projects. 

It basically means the UK is obsessed with spending a fortune on projects that only really benefit London, and even then the benefit is not what it should be.

Just now, Genie said:

It basically means the UK is obsessed with spending a fortune on projects that only really benefit London, and even then the benefit is not what it should be.

I'm not going round the wrekin on HS2 again, but it is very good for The UK. It's been done to death. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm not going round the wrekin on HS2 again, but it is very good for The UK. It's been done to death. 

Well apart from the fact it seems to stop in the middle of nowhere in the East Midlands on the Eastern branch. It was going on up North after that but hey ho. I agree but stopping the next phase was idiotic (as was not including Liverpool as a destination. Population of Merseyside is 1.5 million ie half of either Manc or Brum that will be absolutely dicked for travel to London when HS2 starts

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Please let the official watchdog know they’ve got it wrong.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well apart from the fact it seems to stop in the middle of nowhere in the East Midlands on the Eastern branch. It was going on up North after that but hey ho. I agree but stopping the next phase was idiotic (as was not including Liverpool as a destination. Population of Merseyside is 1.5 million ie half of either Manc or Brum that will be absolutely dicked for travel to London when HS2 starts

Merseyside wants to leave the UK so it's only right and proper they are bypassed. 

• 1 month later...

I very rarely use a train.

The last time I did, there was nobody in the ticket office. I got on the train and because it was over crowded the ticket dude didn’t do his rounds.

When I got off the train they had ticket inspection.

I explained no ticket office and no train dude. Oh no, no no no. I have to be moved to the side still in full view of everyone else but now surrounded by 4 people in, frankly, paramilitary style uniforms. Head to toe in black and black baseball caps and black stab vest things and lots of black webbing with cameras and walkie talkies and schizz like that. I need to prove there was nobody at the station and I need to prove there was no chance of buying a ticket on the train and I need to prove I got on where I said I got on.

Obviously I couldn’t prove any of those things but they’d sort of painted themselves in to a corner as by now there were quite a number of people all with the same ridiculous story of a lack of opportunities to buy tickets and querying whether it was linked to the dozens of paramilitary ticket checkers available.

Eventually they opened the ticket booth and let us all buy a ticket. It was quite an eye opener how quickly a place can change from mundane to abuse of power. How quickly someone given a lanyard and black boots can think they’re special forces. How quickly if it did all turn south, there would be a lot of willing helpers to clear the streets of the wrong sort of people.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Transport for Wales Rail is a nationalised company

Another way of putting that Bicks is it's an 'operator of last resort' apparently they're looking for new tenders for our rural line.

An operator of last resort is a business in the United Kingdom that operates a railway franchise, on behalf of the government, when a train operating company is no longer able to do so. Since May 2023, there are six such operators in England, Wales and Scotland.

All this after Arriva and KeolisAmey both had a go and after the differnet named companies owned by National Express in the 90s/early 2000s. Fines aplenty, but lots of money creamed off the top and a reduction in services is the story of the last 25 years imo.

They also recently advertised for volunteers to clean/upkeep all their stations. (you know, like the employees used to do)

TFW also has alledgedly (although this is someone who is a conductor said, not sourced journalism) around 40 executives taking home 6 figure salaries in a country with 20 odd local authorities.

Not being subsidised by more profitable lines in more built up areas means were not all in it together. That's privatisation that is.

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not being subsidised by more profitable lines in more built up areas means were not all in it together. That's privatisation that is.

Well actually the problems of rail infrastructure in this country aren't down to privatisation, well they are partly but the start of the rot was Beeching in the 60s and that was firmly in nationalised days but it was a Tory Government doing Tory things

FWIW I'm all in favour of renationalising but it won't solve the problems you are talking about. There needs to be a  complete change in mentality about the purpose of rail and why it exists. Currently and even if if was miraculously renationalised overnight the problems would still exist because currently and for many years of BR, this country expected rail to make a profit

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well actually the problems of rail infrastructure in this country aren't down to privatisation, well they are partly but the start of the rot was Beeching in the 60s and that was firmly in nationalised days but it was a Tory Government doing Tory things

FWIW I'm all in favour of renationalising but it won't solve the problems you are talking about. There needs to be a  complete change in mentality about the purpose of rail and why it exists. Currently and even if if was miraculously renationalised overnight the problems would still exist because currently and for many years of BR, this country expected rail to make a profit

Not sure I claimed re-nationalising would solve all the problems, or that the reverse caused them all, but it seems we agree about needing a change in mentality.

Privatisation is/was a con works as a sentence though imo. I fear the NHS wil be long gone before the penny drops for a lot of people.

In fact, I watched this the other day. the bit about commuting from Portishead to Bristol City Centre is quite staggering. If this country was serious about cutting emissions that railway line would have been re-enabled years ago. No CPOs required, the original trackbed is still there, its just a few miles of track. Portishead, the largest town in England without a rail link. Population 25k, a ten mile rush hour journey can take over an hour and a half

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â