Blackburn Rovers

Marka Ragnos

Probably the worst team to have won the league in my lifetime. A midfield of Wilcox, Batty, Sherwood, and Ripley. Awful.

Shearer and Sutton weren't bad though. And Paul Warhurst was amazing that season.

I'll always remember the outrage when they made Sutton the first UK based footballer to get paid 10k a week. The Mirror did a feature on what you can buy and for some reason two new Fords featured time and again in the article.

TBF David Batty and Tim Sherwood were excellent players.   

I do wonder what happened to all those Blackburn fans from the 90s though.  You couldn't go more than a hundred yards in town without seeing somebody in a Blackburn shirt in about 1995.  Did they all move back to Lancashire? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

My friend who's not really into football from my old job adopted them as her team because.... and I quote "I like their uniforms".

Another lass I knew back in the early 00's was a Villa supporter because she fancied.... Julian Joachim.

People have had worse reasons. Just ask half Citeh's fans why they picked them ...

3 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Probably the worst team to have won the league in my lifetime. A midfield of Wilcox, Batty, Sherwood, and Ripley. Awful.

Shearer and Sutton weren't bad though. And Paul Warhurst was amazing that season.

I'll always remember the outrage when they made Sutton the first UK based footballer to get paid 10k a week. The Mirror did a feature on what you can buy and for some reason two new Fords featured time and again in the article.

I wouldn't go round degrading it. They were the best team that season and won it fair and square. United bottled it at Upton Park. They then later won the league cup in 2002 so have won as many (and overall more important) trophies than us in the last 30 years.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I wouldn't go round degrading it. They were the best team that season and won it fair and square. United bottled it at Upton Park. They then later won the league cup in 2002 so have won as many (and overall more important) trophies than us in the last 30 years.

I'm not besmirching them, it's just that compared to later and earlier eras, this side, and also the overall quality of the league, wasn't as strong as the majority of teams before or afterwards. I'd take their success without a second thought.

They absolutely crashed and burned the following season in the champions league. I seem to remember Le-Saux and Batty having a scuffle during one of the games due to how dire they were.

I do think it was a more competitive league though, more teams could have a go at relative success rather than the closed shop of the sky 6.

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

TBF David Batty and Tim Sherwood were excellent players.   

I do wonder what happened to all those Blackburn fans from the 90s though.  You couldn't go more than a hundred yards in town without seeing somebody in a Blackburn shirt in about 1995.  Did they all move back to Lancashire? 

My parents were pretty poor so as kids mom used to buy a lot of our clothes from second hand shops. One day she came back with a tracksuit for my brother that happened to be a Blackburn tracksuit. He must have about 10 at the time, so he decided he was a Blackburn fan because he had it. 

That only lasted until he grew out of it. Same happened with a Southampton one aswell. 🤣

Edited by av1

Memory could be playing tricks on me, but I think they were one of the first Premier League clubs to play goal music in the 00s? Does Rollin' by Limp Bizkit sound right?

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I've never been to Blackburn, but I always think of it as very poor. There were all these news stories a few years ago about it being the most impoverished place in England.

You may be thinking of Blackpool? Which is by some measures the second most deprived local government area. 

Not that Blackburn is in any way well off, but it actually has less deprivation than Birmingham. 

When anyone reminds me of Blackburn winning the Prem, othe only thing I could rememeber is that pointless free-kick goal from Jamie Redknapp. When you watch back it was never celebrating Blackburn winning the title, it was a celebration of a Liverpool player in the name of Jamie Redknapp scoring a wonderful freekick, that had somehow had any **** significance to Blackburn winning the Prem, and it ensure Jamie Redknapp entering the folklore as some sort of midfield maestro, and was the greatest player of all time if it wasnt for him being injured 80% of the time.

14 hours ago, Kingman said:

I miss The Fernhurst 

Did it close?  I remember one of the last aways at Blackburn I'm sure I read it got a bit crazy in there and it being gated off at a later visit (I may well be wrong though)

1 minute ago, avfc456 said:

I remember one of the last aways at Blackburn I'm sure I read it got a bit crazy in there and it being gated off at a later visit (I may well be wrong though)

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Blackburn away, Feb 2009.  The drunkest I have ever been at a football game.

*disclaimer, I was in no way involved with it being gated off.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Was leaving San Francisco yesterday. In the Marina at the last stoplight before hitting the road leading to Golden Gate Bridge. Light is red, I look to my right and at the bus stop is a young guy, maybe 17-20, wearing a Rovers shirt. Had that same haircut all the younguns have this days with the sides cut down low (think Cole Palmer). He was with an older man who looked like the spitting image of that extremely fat England supporter who got so much camera time during the World Cup. His face and bald dome could not have been more ruddy 🤣  I was about to roll down window and yell UP THE VILLA! when the light went green and had to go. Opportunity blown 😉

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â