Biscuits are the True Ambrosia

bickster

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

When it is brought up to abuse the English language

Given that my significant other is one of those Americans, I was hoping for slightly more in the way of helpful ammunition to counter her nonsense. 

Anyone familiar with the work of B F Skinner will know that biscuits are a perfect positive reward for reinforcing desired behaviour.

They don't need to be chocolate digestives - rich tea will do fine.

So if friends or colleagues start offering you biscuits - think about your behaviour.

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Given that my significant other is one of those Americans, I was hoping for slightly more in the way of helpful ammunition to counter her nonsense. 

Well ok, cookies tend to be softer than biscuits (ignore those shite Maryland Cookie things by whoever makes then as they are rock hard). The soft bit is important because the etymology of the word is either from Dutch or Gaelic (Scottish version) and both of those words it derives from are to do with cake and not biscuits. But that is all I got

44 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

These:

jezyki-classic-biscuits-jutrzenka-140g.j

And these:

OIP.Br_OrfXmQg52Klgz6jFUVgHaFj?pid=ImgDe

Oh don't start this again !!!

Last time,  I trekked up and down Erdo high Street (didn't see Pete, mate !) and raided all the polish skleps for those badboys. 

Did my diabetes the world of good 😧

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Is the chocolate on the top or the bottom of a McVities Chocolate Digestive?

McVities themselves have confirmed the chocolate is on the bottom 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Yes, I know this but thanks for killing the fun.

GcWHflO.png

you asked a question , as I knew it  I gave you the answer  ..that's sorta how questions work :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The chocolate is on the bottom of the biscuit. Look at the picture. The side with the bevelled edge and the makers imprints is the top. The chocolate is on the bottom.

Sorry this is not correct. You can see them being made here. The biscuits are stamped on the bottom and chocolate is added to the top. They even have to flip them upside down at one point to add chocolate to the top. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The chocolate is on the bottom of the biscuit. Look at the picture. The side with the bevelled edge and the makers imprints is the top. The chocolate is on the bottom.

And how do they fit the chocolate to the underside of the biscuit? Do they do it in an anti gravity machine? 
edit: hadn’t seen Tony’s post or London’s. They’re mad!

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Sorry this is not correct. You can see them being made here. The biscuits are stamped on the bottom and chocolate is added to the top. They even have to flip them upside down at one point to add chocolate to the top.

The biscuits are not stamped at all, the dough is pushed into a mould and the mould releases the biscuits topside (the imprinted side) up. Think of a jelly mould, how do you release that?

Anyway, those are chocolate caramel digestives and therefore irrelevant

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Also on this subject what the Americans call biscuits are scones. I presume they changed the name because they didn't know how to say it correctly :mrgreen: 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

We've talked about biscuits before but they really do deserve their own thread being the food of the gods that they are.

So to start the debate, a question.

Is the chocolate on the top or the bottom of a McVities Chocolate Digestive?

faitaol0i8la1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

The chocolate is on the bottom of a normal digestive but the top of a chocolate digestive. 

The chocolate inverts the biscuit. 

In the house I grew up in the ubiquitous 70s limestone fireplace was covered in chocolate where we used to hold them up to the electric fire waiting for the chocolate to melt, fingertips burning. 

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Jaffa cakes.

Asda do new ones now with strawberry and lemon flavour. Very nice.

I wonder who will be the first to say jaffa cakes aren't biscuits?

I am genuinely sitting reading this whilst eating a wagon wheel.*

I've no idea what they even are because they are not chocolate bars, not cakes and not biscuits.

* Smaller than it used to be obviously.

Wagon Wheels are foul. Little discs of chip board and polystyrene covered in the sort of brown shit that even Anglian Water would be embarrassed to tip into a river.

Our local corner shop run by a lovely Sri Lankan family stocks garibaldi biscuits, the first time I've seen them anywhere for years. Easily the best biscuit for dunking into tea.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Risso said:

garibaldi biscuits

I'm convinced someone used to make chocolate covered Garibaldi biscuits when I was young. I have yet to discover whether this was a figment of my imagination.

Why they aren't a thing now also perplexes me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I'm convinced someone used to make chocolate covered Garibaldi biscuits when I was young. I have yet to discover whether this was a figment of my imagination.

Why they aren't a thing now also perplexes me

wiki kinda agrees with you ...  citation needed 

Varieties covered with plain or milk chocolate have also been marketed in the past, but appear not to have been available for many years

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â